The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ssl alphalink and PT le9 or HD w. 2•192
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

Ssl alphalink and PT le9 or HD w. 2•192

Hi

I am to upgrade my current setup. I am looking for at least 24 in-out.

The price is about the same. Ssl alphalink ax and PT le9. (I have le9 now, and I feel no limitations) or HD2 with 2•192.

All my plugins are native.

What would you choose?

Regards
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
HD Native and the Alpha-Link.

Several customers, who prefer to use their own DAW set-up (PT, Logic, Reaper, or whatever) are using exactly that setup and so far, all seem far happier than lashing out all that money on a full-blown HD rig.

One even has HD3 at home and in the studio and prefers to use the Alpha-Link and a Power Mac loaded with native stuff.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

I just went over to the Alpha link with the Madiextreme 64 and PT9.0. I had a digi le rig with apogee rosetta 800. I can't say how great the results have been. A couple things you might want to know. I run a Mac Pro quad 10.6.3. Your buffer settings will be from 64-512 only. This has not been a problem for me as I have had a 38 track session full of plugs and and several hardware inserts and have not noticed any latency at 64 or 128 settings. When mixing I moved to 512 because inserts got heavy. I just finished a session with 16 tracks and never moved off 64 buffer setting from tracking or mixing! I am seeing sample latency delays of 334 samples on all hardware inserts at 64 and before they were 1024. When you start adding plugs on master buss you will need to increase buffer for sure. The converters are really clean and with the madi card REALLY fast. I'm lovin it. Watch your input and output levels, There's plenty of headroom but they respond real fast and can dip into the red quickly if you're slamming input levels, but don't seem to distort. The midi connection does not work yet, but I had a Motu midi timepiece av and it has integrated flawlessly into the system. 24 I/O at a time is to die for and I will add another box soon. Sample up to 96k only with the madi 64 card, but I never go over that anyway. You can bet that when they get the Madi 128 card compatable with pro tools, I will make that jump. What goes in comes out, they do not add anything else to the sound. Now when I pic a certain mic-pre combo or add a outboard comp or eq, the sound is that piece of gear and nothing else, just right up my alley! I hope some of this helps, and good luck to ya.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by techneek View Post
Your buffer settings will be from 64-512 only.
Those #'s are not what I get. I have a similar set up, mac pro, madixtreme, alpha.....if you can, update pt9.0 to 9.0.2 or 9.0.5...I can get 32-1024 buffer settings.

I could always get 1024 (in pt9)...but they added 32 in one of the recent updates, I forget which one it was.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

Hotsizzlemusic;
I'm at 9.0 and get 64-512 only. Will update and thanx for the info. It pays to be a slut sometimes.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

We have 4 alphalinks and are very happy with them!
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ok - I Think i'll go for The ssl option. It seems like a good deal.

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

The 32 sample option works great on 8 core Mac Pro 10.6.8 w/ 12 gigs of ram, and alpha link/madi 64 bundle. Ive found the optimal settings with PT 9 is using 3 processors with whatever the newest PT update is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search