The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Retro Sta Level For Hip Hop Vocals
Old 21st August 2011
Retro Sta Level For Hip Hop Vocals

I was considering buying the Retro Sta Level. I mainly record Hip Hop, Pop, and Rock Vocals. Anybody have any experience using the Sta on rap vox?

Thanks
Old 21st August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL View Post
I was considering buying the Retro Sta Level. I mainly record Hip Hop, Pop, and Rock Vocals. Anybody have any experience using the Sta on rap vox?

Thanks
Its fantastic man. Just by running through this thing you get something extremely musical. It has a "olden-golden" sound, that "bronzes" your source and gives you a smooth, polished type of thickening. The Compression is wonderfully natural and has no weirdness to the action. Very transparant and it makes things denser, and smoother. You've really gotta learn the envelope to use it everywhere, but for rappers, and rock vocals, it should work itself out without a struggle.
Old 21st August 2011
Gear Nut

The Retro has that big tube compression sound and would set you apart from the norm. What mic and preamp do you have?
Old 21st August 2011
Manley Ref C and a Vintech X73i.

This would be my first hw compressor, i've been using UAD LA2A 1176 combo. Was thinking of buying the real things, but Im really drawn to the Sta
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

I use the Sta Level for most of my hip hop. If you can swing a little more cash get the Retro 176. I like it even more and trying to get enough for my own.
Old 22nd August 2011
Here for the gear

I love all the Retro stuff, my vocal mixing chain is the Sta into the 176, pretty incredible!!!

Harry
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
I do mostly rap and r&b. tried the retro. found it to be a little too vintage/dark for my tastes. If you a Ref C and a X73i I would recommend a distressor. The slate dragon was nice when I used one. That's my next purchase.
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

In all seriousness, go with the Powerstrip before they wise up and raise the price...the compressor's a little more versatile than a STA-Level in my opinion and you get the rest of the vocal chain tacked on for what is pretty much "$free.99"
Old 22nd August 2011

I probably wouldn't choose a Sta-Level for rap vocals... I think I would probably go with the 176 in that product line, but there are others I would turn to first.
Old 23rd August 2011
Jai guru deva om

176 if you can swing it. It's one of the few compressors on the planet that is to be considered pure magic. Sta-Level is awesome in a different way, 176 just shines on everything and is completely variable so you have total control. Some auto release times could get slightly wonky during faster phrases, that would be my only worry there.

176 = no worry and huge, in your face goodness.

War
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

It depends taste of course and the way people hear things but for me the sta is everything except darkish, high frequencies remain beautiful and smooth but not rolled off as the la-2a I had. It is still sounding open and mate what an amazing sound and balance, it has weight and articulation

What a marvelous compressor I need to learn more as just received but these are only my 2 cts
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear
The thing I like about the Retro STA is the set and forget settings plus you get a larger than life sound.

It is great for people who do not like to spend time tweaking. Of course you can tweak but it is not needed to get a great sound.

Most rappers have little musical training and may have hard time gauging nuances. For this reason the STA is in my opinion just the ticket!
Old 25th August 2011
The sta is a great compressor, but I certainly wouldn't put it on a list for first compressor, or vocal compressor. It's very sluggish, which can be amazing, especially on bass heavy sources, but I would imagine doing hip-hop you want something a little faster/crisper. Can't go wrong with an 1176 for hip-hop vocals, or a distressor as a first overall hardware compressor. My favorite is Tube Tech CL1-B, this and an 1176 cover 80% of vocals for me.
Old 27th August 2011
Thanks everyone for their replies,

damn! now im torn between the sta, cl1b, and the retro 176.
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear
The Anniversary Edition 1176 is hot on Rap vocals.
Old 31st August 2011
I Own a STA-LEVEL and Have to say, It's pretty much the ONLY comp I use in Hip Hop and Pop... I Own a PA1176 as well and although lovely as well, It's NOWHERE as fat and warm , thick Punchy as the STA. I Use a Manley Ref C with BAE1272 into the Sta Level, and call it done... I have been through so many compressors and for the money it's wonderous.

I am considering selling my PA1176 and getting their version of the 176. Has anyone in here used it? It has GOT TO BE amazing as well. Their gear it the real deal... just GET IT!..and be done.. it's worth every single penny.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ology View Post
I Own a STA-LEVEL and Have to say, It's pretty much the ONLY comp I use in Hip Hop and Pop... I Own a PA1176 as well and although lovely as well, It's NOWHERE as fat and warm , thick Punchy as the STA. I Use a Manley Ref C with BAE1272 into the Sta Level, and call it done... I have been through so many compressors and for the money it's wonderous.

Thats awesome to hear! Do you use any compressors during mix?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

i dont know where you are coming from in terms of hip hop music. if you want to creat a new sound it might work great. but if you are aiming for the classic hip hop sound (im talking mid 90s hip hop, not the plastic thats on the radio today) this is certainly the wrong tool. you will get way better results from way cheaper comps.
Old 17th September 2011
Like what?

I hate todays rap with a passion.

Personally, I make underground hip hop but a lot of my clients are into the lil wayne drake crap.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like what?

I hate todays rap with a passion.

Personally, I make underground hip hop but a lot of my clients are into the lil wayne drake crap.
i really like that you hate todays rap with a passion :-) just get an 1176. thats what people used back then in most cases. pair it with a u67 or u87. thats the hip hop sound from the mid 90s. good luck
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

You could do everything you'd ever need with an RNC.

If you want the smooth, fat tone and texture of the tube levelers, get a 525, it kills on vocals.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Manley Ref Card + X73i, HipHop + Rock vox.
I would go with Distressor.
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear
Anyone have clips they can post where the rap vocals were tracked with the Sta Level?
Old 26th January 2016
Gear Nut

I was in the same boat, looking for a new fantastic and flexible comp.
For vocs, but also for other sources and buss duties.

So, being the slut that I am, I got 2 176's.
They'll be arriving within the next 2 weeks.

I will report back
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

thats cool. so did I!

used ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparecording View Post

I will report back
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

thats cool. so did I!

used ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparecording View Post

I will report back
Old 27th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
thats cool. so did I!

used ones
Congrats, I'm assuming we'll be happy campers
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Anyone have clips they can post where the rap vocals were tracked with the Sta Level?
This is Gearslutz, where people TALK about gear, nobody hardly ever posts any audio.
Old 28th January 2016
Retro Instruments STA Level

Seemed to be good enough for Jay Z on "Magna Carta Holy Grail"

Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear
One last bump-anyone have clips where the vocals were recorded with the Sta Level they can share?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search