The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
512c with a M149? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

512c with a M149?

Hey all, I have three mica for vocals I'm trying to decide between. I'm using an API 512c as my pre manly sometimes my LA-610. The Mics are the M149, C12vr and the Manley Gold Reference. I have read the previous posts on these Mics and they are useful but i need to know which mic would sound best with the 512c for rock, Alien Ant Farm, Rage Against The Machine and so on... Edgy but full and pop out of the mix without any processing.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 18th August 2011
member no 666

Kenny - anyone who gives you an answer to this question is totally full of ****. 2 out of the 3 are really good mics... the 512c is an excellent mic-pre. There is no best - except for what is best for you application at any given moment... which can [and probably will] change from day to day and singer to singer.

You will be best served to try several combinations on the singer(s) you record most and ascertain which combination will be best to accomplish your goals through actual experience.

Sincere apologies if this comes off as harsh... that really isn't the intention. The intention is to empower you to make your own determination from your own experience and not worry about what some one you've never met on some internet forum thinks might be the best tool for your purposes [cause there is no way in heaven or hell that is possible].

Peace
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Well said.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

i wouldn't spend $5k on a mic without really getting to know it first, either....
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Hey all, I saw this and thought I should update this in case anyone wanted to know! I did go with the M149without hearing it... So what it needs to be in any mic locker wether it's right from one application to another is totally up to the engineer. I only use mine with my 512c at the moment. I was just mixing a record and the producer didn't even have me touch the vocal track the whole time... Just some simple vocal rides and delays. It sounds awesome going through a 512c!!

Thanks,
KennyS
www.surfstreetstudios.com
Old 2nd November 2011
teo
Lives for gear

I have to use a M149 through a millennia every other day at a client's studio, and I hate i with a vengeance.
To each their own I guess...
Old 2nd November 2011
The M149 is a very sterile microphone. It's very cool looking, but very sterile. Some times that can be a good thing. I would not expect rock vocal to be one of those times.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

the m149 is a lemon! for the money it is rubbish! i was looking at getting one....demo'ed one.....and did not buy it! - - - - will never buy one!

this thread was pointless!

but to each his own (as already mentioned)
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
the m149 is a lemon! for the money it is rubbish! i was looking at getting one....demo'ed one.....and did not buy it! - - - - will never buy one!

this thread was pointless!

but to each his own (as already mentioned)
M149 worked just fine for Nicki Minaj on every track of one of the biggest albums this year...

To some a "lemon", to others it was chosen over Sonyc800 etc...

"to each his own"
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Head

It's a shame they call it xx49 (the m149). It has so mutch nothing to do with a real deal m49.
I should post some samples...

Hideous!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of M149's - sequential numbers - that I absolutely love. They are excellent...

Bruce Swedien

About comparison between M 49 and M 149, you might listen to this test. I often heard two different mics sounding much more apart in such a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm58 View Post
Yes, you should.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a shame they call it xx49 (the m149). It has so mutch nothing to do with a real deal m49.

Hideous!
Still waiting for the samples

Several years ago I bought an M149. A year later I bought the second one.

When someone says that the M149 is sterile I wonder what he would say about the Brauner VMX. I have also the Brauner and it is even more detailed than the M149 which in my opinion is a great virtue.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Charmer View Post
M149 worked just fine for Nicki Minaj on every track of one of the biggest albums this year...

"
....not of my year, buddy!
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
....not of my year, buddy!
I was simply pointing out how some talented people can use a tool to create art, others tend to blame the tool for their lack of talent and creativity...
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
Still waiting for the samples

Several years ago I bought an M149. A year later I bought the second one.

When someone says that the M149 is sterile I wonder what he would say about the Brauner VMX. I have also the Brauner and it is even more detailed than the M149 which in my opinion is a great virtue.
I just talked anout the stupid number... But that is actually not part of that theard. But if you are intrested in the m149/ m49 samples, i'll post it for you next week.
Btw. We are happy with the m149 and the m49. Just saying they are two different mics.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

149 straight into old tube limiter (sans pre) gave me acceptable results.
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just talked anout the stupid number... But that is actually not part of that theard. But if you are intrested in the m149/ m49 samples, i'll post it for you next week.
Btw. We are happy with the m149 and the m49. Just saying they are two different mics.

Well...you did end by saying:

Quote:

Hideous!

The m149 is absolutely NOT hideous. It's a beautiful, full & open sounding mic, and can be used on many sources, IMO. It's highly underrated.
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Well...you did end by saying:

The m149 is absolutely NOT hideous. It's a beautiful, full & open sounding mic, and can be used on many sources, IMO. It's highly underrated.
Just the number...
Old 4th November 2011
Here for the gear

The m149 is a microphone I have the pleasure of using anytime I need to. It is a wonderful mic, but that is going through either a vintage 1084 or an Avedis Ma5 and an Urei 1176 or retro 176. Great microphone, if you know how to use it
Old 4th November 2011
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
Well, I have a VMA that I love! What I don't like about the 149 is that I find it quite harsh and sibilant...to me "sterile" is more of a GS-hype word than a way to really describe a mic.

Of course the 149 is not a terrible mic, and it can be used with great results, but talking about mics in that price range, is not one i like to work with. The VMA does that hi-fi thing with a detail and warmth (god I hate to use this word!) that the 149 cannot touch.
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
the 149 is that I find it quite harsh
Try buying the Andreas Grosser power supply for the M149. He also custom made a kt8 cable with better connectors to me. The harshness is now gone.
Sounds much better to my ears.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search