The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1073 and compression
Old 20th March 2006
Gear nut

1073 and compression

I may have a newbie question here? I have recently purchased my first original 1073 and noticed that the output of the pre is more compressed than tracks that I use a comp on. Is this standard operation of a 1073? This is not a complaint but a mere observation of my Neve. Just wondering if this is normal being this is my first one.
Old 20th March 2006
Lives for gear

I don't have a 1073, but do have (4) 1272's and I have noticed the same thing.....
I am sure someone else with much more knowledge than I will pipe up....
Old 20th March 2006
Lives for gear

I also have noticed that, and can't really say why. All I know is I like the sound!!
Old 20th March 2006

Class A Neve preamps are well known for compressing transients... But, if you are saying it's compressing more than your outboard compressors, you have a problem. It's a subtle phenomenon.

Also, this is why the API and Neve combo has been so popular.. They are polar opposites in this regard.
Old 20th March 2006
Gear nut

Ya it is a very subtle thing...more visual on waveforms than audible sound degradation.

I also gotta wonder what my recordings were like before a U87 and a 1073/1084's dfegad. I spent years of my recording career wondering how all these great records were made. How come my recordings didn't sound like that? As I use a Mackie 32X8 and Behringer compressors with the Shure Beta green series mics . Now this is not a putdown for all those who use these pieces of gear cause I got many years of good recordings out of em' but I sure do have to do less work to make it sound good now. So how can you make great sounding records? I guess it takes alot of experience of making crap equipment sound good and a really high limit on your credit cards . Hey if I could have known that 10 years ago I would've been a gear slut a long time ago heh.
Old 20th March 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds like your 1073 needs to be recapped. This is what I hate about renting 1073's. That's not how they're supposed to sound...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search