The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alan Smart Comp/Lim question
Old 30th August 2002
Lives for gear

Alan Smart Comp/Lim question

Is the Alan Smart MC2, the best stereo buss compressor there is, that is similar to the SSL, and what's the difference between the C1-C2, and MC2?

Thx
Imagine
Old 30th August 2002
Lives for gear

Word....

I gota love this box (al smart C2) more than most other compressors cos it spanks so damn hard! and sound great on @ bus, kik, snr, OH, rooms and bass.

not bad for a ****ty VCA compressor! YMMV!

C1 is the original 'blackface'

C2 is the newer silver face with the all important 'CRUSH' button which can make things incansley biright/annoying/sizzly and the bands will probably wan the mix to go throught hat with the crush button on.... i once had to tape over it on mine so they could not see it..im mean iknow!!!
C2 also have different VCA and they give the circuit a faster slew rate.. so im told by Al Himself....he spends a bit of time in Melbourne each yr!

Both C1 & 2 are dual mono with a stereo link function.

MC2 i beleive is just a stereo C2 with out the dual mono capability . So it is essentially a stereo compressor with one set of controls for both channels so u dont get eh functiionality of two discrete compressors...

Give them a go .. I LOVE IT!!!!!! and love to patch that into an AVALON 747... its like magic that combo, especially the EQ!

give them a listen.. I know fletcher and Vintageking.com sells them thats about its?

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 30th August 2002
Lives for gear

Wiggy,

Thanks for the information. I plan on renting one today, and hooking it up to the 747.

Cheers,
Imagine
Old 31st August 2002
One with big hooves

Yes, it's very similar to the SSL buss compressor. While it's a cool sound I wouldn't want it as my only buss compressor. It works great on somethings but not on everything. I wouldn't use it while mixing jazz for example.
Old 1st September 2002
Lives for gear

ditto jay....

Its just i am a Rock dog..... so it suits me down to tha ground..

on the odd occaision where i do non rock/loud stuff i hire in another comp... if they have $$$..lol musos and money.. what an oxymoron!

So Al C2 just has to do... and i love him so its all peachy...however i wouldnt mind a fairchild every now and then!

PEACE
Wiggy

Old 2nd September 2002
Here for the gear

It's an amazing compressor. I had one of the originals when Alan was making them one at a time in Austalia. Now you get them thru Sunset Sound in Los Angeles.
Old 2nd September 2002
I tend to use my SSL comp on drum comp duties. I was using on the mix for a short period, but I have gone back to my old method drum comp only... I take care of compression on the individual elements, and leave the buss for mastering style tools later.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search