The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ribbons rule help me save money Condenser Microphones
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Nut

Ribbons rule help me save money

CAN I JUST USE A BOX (I have a cheaper Ribbon stereo mic that has a box with xlr on one end and two xlr on the other so I had a great idea) THAT HAS XLR IN AND TWO XLR OUTS THUS MAKING ONE XLR CABLE FROM THE MIC INTO STEREO. IF THIS WORKS I CAN SAVE $1000.00 therefore I Won't have to buy TWO R84's. IS this a good idea? Also in addition to my great river pre this will of course be for vocals...should I add a channel strip with EQ/comp i.e. (don't laugh) Eureka Channel Strips (I know they aren't high end) running through the pre like this AEA R84 > great river > eureka channel strips (x2)

Also do I need the CloudLifter?

But please anyone respond to the main question i Have I May be able to save 1000 dollars if I can turn my R84 into stereo mic.
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Addict
Thats not really stereo, its more like duel mono. You could just as easily record the one microphone and copy it, or pan the single source left then bus it and pan right.
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Nut

well what I meant was that should I invest an extra $1000 on another R84 or should I just use one mic? I have used Mojave MA-200 mics stereo Mic'ing from what I was tought my by engineer friends and it sounded great. This R84 sounds great by itself but is it worth forking over an extra $900 for another one?

Also please someone answer this for me - cloudlifters - sounds like it just acts as a pre-amp with levels up to +25 dB so nothing special. Should I go ahead and get a dual ch. cloudlifter or "fethead" as it were? Keep in mind I will be using the Great River Pre with these mics and I will loop some EQ and COMP from some channel strips if it sounds okay otherwise I can use those channel strips for other things.
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Addict

Two mics are twice as good as one
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Nut

thats all I need to "hear" sorry for the lousy pun....
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
CAN I JUST USE A BOX (I have a cheaper Ribbon stereo mic that has a box with xlr on one end and two xlr on the other so I had a great idea) THAT HAS XLR IN AND TWO XLR OUTS THUS MAKING ONE XLR CABLE FROM THE MIC INTO STEREO.

But please anyone respond to the main question i Have I May be able to save 1000 dollars if I can turn my R84 into stereo mic.
a stereo mic has two elements in it. Each element is picking up a different sound (the left and the right). The box does not make it stereo, the mic is stereo to begin with - the box is simply there to provide you with a place to plug in the 2 cables.

a mono mic like the R84 could be split, that's a different kind of box, but the same exact signal will be coming out of both 'sides'.

That's not stereo. That's just 2 copies of the same signal. Certainly if a magic box existed that could make mono mics into stereo mics, that would be the most famous box in all of audio!

get the second mic

not only will you have true stereo, you will have the opportunity to use the two mics in many different ways, on different instruments, one on a guitar and one on voice, or one on the sax and one on the trumpet. Or combine them with other mics for two mid/side pairs. It's not twice as good as one mic - a second mic multiplies the value.

Quote:
Also do I need the CloudLifter?
if you are recording quiet instruments, the Cloudlifter is a very cool device
I recently got one and I like what it does and how quietly it does it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search