The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What It Would Take For Me To Want To Switch To A Newer Version Of Pro Tools HD!!! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Addict

What It Would Take For Me To Want To Switch To A Newer Version Of Pro Tools HD!!!

Mix user here running mix on a g4 with four cards running logic as the front end on a midi synth production home studio.

I kept getting emails from avid for feedback so I thought to my self what would it take for me to want to ditch logic and switch to a newer version of pro tools HD?

Basic stuff that affords me the functionality of logic bundled with pro tools.

A sampler exclusive to the pro tools platform that outperforms the competition.
Given the resolution the new cards work in it shouldn't be too hard to implement a new sampler with a proper filter section! My 1996 Emu 6400 still sounds way better than the sampler that comes with logic when it comes to processing the sound!
Once a proper filter section that breaks new ground is developed it can also be used in a sampler with many ready to go to radio type sounds of any instrument you can imagine like a modern day 5080 but also in a

A subtractive synthesizer like the ES2 that comes with logic but with better sound that will be in every version of pro tools so that everybody will get used to using it.

A simpler juno 60 type synthesizer like the es1 simple for getting sounds quick

A digital sounding wavetable synthesizer like a waldorf wave useful for getting digital textures that will appeal to those doing film work.

A simple sample accurate TR style drum machine with a step sequencer and many great drum sounds and the ability to export audio like Guru.

Tight midi. Tight midi at last.

Last but not least if you think about it the type of producer that would buy a pro tools hd rig already has hardware stuff like 80s analog synths 90s digital synths modules workstations. And there is new stuff coming out all the time. A proper editor librarian for all that right in pro tools will make pro tools appeal to these people. All the work is done for them all they have to do is find the profile and load it as a plug in on the midi track and there! The whole screen fills with hidden under the hood features that they did not even know about that they can automate and so on and so forth... and since pro tools is in the controller market all that stuff will be automatically mapped to those expensive controllers. Lets face it icons are hard to sell... most people just use the faders for the levels very little movement north of the faders. But if the controller automatically mapped to whatever module they were using at the moment it would bring value to the table turning what was essentially once a sound box into a musical instrument....

Those controllers....

To sell these controllers there should be a place to rack gear at the bottom of the controller. If you are using it to set up a studio to mix ITB wouldn't you want a place to put all your hardware gear pres compressors modules ect? It doesn't have to be too fancy or expensive to make just a simple 3xrack underneath giving the unit a bit of studio furniture appeal

For those expensive controllers to start creeping in a no way in hell I am giving up my analog console to mix in a computer type of studio this can replace the rack of gear where you have say an SSL mixer and to the side of that you have the rack of gear... that can go there with the same gear racked underneath essentially solving the problem of ''lets say I buy this where the hell am I going to put it?'' but also providing a controller for pro tools for those artists that just want to track there and mix the record somewhere else ''here you go fade your levels... have fun guys'' and since pro tools will come with a comprehensive midi editor librarian in a situation where the actual mixing takes place on an actual mixer all they have to do is midi up their digital gear to protools and use the controller to control all those late 80s to early millennium reverbs and multi-effect units unlocking those under the hood features that were always there again giving people value for their dollar.

That is my feedback.
Old 9th August 2011
A lot of what you want is pretty much bespoke for you - probably not the market to make it worth the time developing it - the synth librarian for example. So don't hold your breath!
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Funny thing is, a good deal of your want list existed years ago in the Synclavier Tapeless Studio system. It was expensive and bespoke, but it was _way_ ahead of its time. Granted, it was very limited in terms of what pro tools can do, but it did do a good chunk of your want list.
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
A lot of what you want is pretty much bespoke for you - probably not the market to make it worth the time developing it - the synth librarian for example. So don't hold your breath!
Just an opinion since they asked for it. Logic has the producer market in the lock. And with the power of new computers a lot of those people are ditching pro tools all together. Not sure if the people at avid are interested in appealing to the home studio producers but recent policies would suggest they are.
To do that they need to offer the masses of producer/one man bands out there what their main competition is offering them a few decent instruments, a sampler, a drum machine and proper midi.
If they do that I don't see why I wouldn't favor pro tools for production.
And editor librarians are pretty easy to develop the code is simple the info is out there if you catch my drift they are the same under the hood it is a matter of GUI lift and integration into pro tools. I know how to go about making a controller in the environment. What percentage of logic users these days you think can be bothered to do that? Not too many. Never underestimate how important ease of use is to people. People are ****ing lazy. They want to be spoon fed and they are willing to pay premium prices for that. They can't be bothered to set up a midi track and an audio track and save it with their session yet alone create a custom controller in the environment. They all buy the virus TI synth because ''hey look it works just like a plug in''
Old 9th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn View Post
Just an opinion since they asked for it. Logic has the producer market in the lock. And with the power of new computers a lot of those people are ditching pro tools all together. Not sure if the people at avid are interested in appealing to the home studio producers but recent policies would suggest they are.
To do that they need to offer the masses of producer/one man bands out there what their main competition is offering them a few decent instruments, a sampler, a drum machine and proper midi.
If they do that I don't see why I wouldn't favor pro tools for production.
And editor librarians are pretty easy to develop the code is simple the info is out there if you catch my drift they are the same under the hood it is a matter of GUI lift and integration into pro tools. I know how to go about making a controller in the environment. What percentage of logic users these days you think can be bothered to do that? Not too many. Never underestimate how important ease of use is to people. People are ****ing lazy. They want to be spoon fed and they are willing to pay premium prices for that. They can't be bothered to set up a midi track and an audio track and save it with their session yet alone create a custom controller in the environment. They all buy the virus TI synth because ''hey look it works just like a plug in''
I know what you mean - I don't really disagree with a lot of your points about included instruments (although Structure is essentially the sampler you want, it just isn't included). I don't think enough people care about a synth editor enough to make it worth including - I used to have access to sound diver for my XP50 and I never really bothered. the number of "home" producers with significant numbers of hardware synths is small and decreasing.

But yes - all opinions equally valid I suppose!
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I know what you mean - I don't really disagree with a lot of your points about included instruments (although Structure is essentially the sampler you want, it just isn't included). I don't think enough people care about a synth editor enough to make it worth including - I used to have access to sound diver for my XP50 and I never really bothered. the number of "home" producers with significant numbers of hardware synths is small and decreasing.

But yes - all opinions equally valid I suppose!
I am happy with my rig. Honestly. Just thinking about what would I like to see. I know a lot of it is in the box with soft-synths and the like and that is where the mass of people are focused. They want a platform that gives them the essential tools they need to produce. Hence my suggestion for a few superior exclusive right out the box instruments that would make pro tools appeal to the producers so that they look at it as a production environment not just a recording application. Logic to an extent offers this right now. Most people are using that. I have an exs24 library with gigs and gigs of content. Some people are even using reason yes reason! A few synths a sampler a drum machine a step sequencer a few carefully programed patches works straight out the box. Cant argue that a room full of gear does not sound better than that. But again ease of use the ''thats all I need'' factor. Logic has that. And now there are cards from the likes of universal audio that put high end plug ins to the hands of the masses. You no longer have that huge leap in quality going from native to HD rigs.
Now to be honest as far as producers sound designers are concerned when there are deadlines to be met organization is key... the type of people that might want to buy a high end daw like pro tools HD might have a few hardware gear too last I heard access and moog have no trouble selling their stuff and if you look at a new sweetwater catalog you see nords voyagers dave smith synths fancy digital stuff with touch screen controllers so I am not sure that I can say that that the hardware synth market is dead and gone.
Now if there was a daw with a few good bundled instruments and proper supported midi were you can create a midi track and find the instrument profile and load it like a plug in I would be looking into switching to that because I could save my session fire it up and pick up where I left off. Regarding sound diver and the xp50 sure I didn't do too much editing with my 1080 either just basic routing and effects but I program the hell out of my super jupiter and with out sound diver (that doesn't always work properly on osx btw ) the instrument would be worthless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search