The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using AES port on Aurora 16 with Forssell MADA-2..? DAW Software
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Using AES port on Aurora 16 with Forssell MADA-2..?

OK, So today marked my 3rd attempt at hooking this up. Please know, I'm fairly green at the whole DAW stuff...

This is the attempted setup:

PT HD Native with a Lynx aurora 8 and 16 both clocking via T adapter and two BNC cables off the Forssell's Word clock out. (it seemed to sync as the "syncroclock" on each aurora flashed until it locked, but when I was in a session with no audio the transport wouldn't even go without an error message about the clock)

I spoke with the folks at Forssell and have created a cable from a DB25 previously used with the Auroras. It is channels 1-2 in (on the multipin) to a male AES XLR and channels 1-2 out (same multipin) to AES XLR female. I used pin 2 and 3 for channels 1 and 2 as instructed.

The red "error" light will not go off of the Forssell and nothing is happening.

We have a console and the Forssell is hooked up to our 2TRK B send and return via XLR. The 24 channels of Aurora are analog in and out and are just our tape send and returns.

I've found some downloads offered by Lynx. I was looking for some control thing via MIDI for the Auroras, but either way I figured this could be hooked up by just using the front panel.

Anyone doing something similar? Any thoughts on what I'm missing?
Old 8th August 2011

Have you selected the correct sync source on the front?

Are you doing this in 32 channel mode, or do you have an HD card in each aurora?

Are you sure the cable you have made is wired correctly? (I don't quite follow the description)

matt
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what the correct "sync source" should be. I been using both Auroras since last winter so I didn't change anything. Its a bit tricky because the Lynx manuals have no description of this type set up.

We do have the LT-HD cards in both auroras and each connect via their own digilink to the native card in the mac.

I think I made the cable correctly... it beeps out and making cables I actually understand. There are so many variables, I'm a bit lost
Old 8th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
OK, So today marked my 3rd attempt at hooking this up. Please know, I'm fairly green at the whole DAW stuff...

This is the attempted setup:

PT HD Native with a Lynx aurora 8 and 16 both clocking via T adapter and two BNC cables off the Forssell's Word clock out. (it seemed to sync as the "syncroclock" on each aurora flashed until it locked, but when I was in a session with no audio the transport wouldn't even go without an error message about the clock)

I spoke with the folks at Forssell and have created a cable from a DB25 previously used with the Auroras. It is channels 1-2 in (on the multipin) to a male AES XLR and channels 1-2 out (same multipin) to AES XLR female. I used pin 2 and 3 for channels 1 and 2 as instructed.

The red "error" light will not go off of the Forssell and nothing is happening.

We have a console and the Forssell is hooked up to our 2TRK B send and return via XLR. The 24 channels of Aurora are analog in and out and are just our tape send and returns.

I've found some downloads offered by Lynx. I was looking for some control thing via MIDI for the Auroras, but either way I figured this could be hooked up by just using the front panel.

Anyone doing something similar? Any thoughts on what I'm missing?
Well, I am sure the problem may go deeper into your Hardware setup with PT, [hard to estimate the moving target from here] but I would make sure to setup the clock of these interfaces, [one master, two slave] before they latch the HD Native Card. This means a BNC cable between the Aurora 16 [first port 1-32] in "advanced mode", set to internal clock [or set to external via your MADA-2] - and the Aurora 8, [always in "advanced mode" w/ an LTHD card] set so that it is slaving from BNC WC, [connected to the Second Port, 33-64]. This will be a 48 I/O system with HD native card as the AES/EBU are added to the system. When these interfaces are connected, the computer/card latches onto the interfaces and takes control. Provided you have the AES/EBU DSUB correct, you should be able to read clock of the AES/EBU feed, and likewise slave to it.
Old 8th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles83 View Post
I'm not sure what the correct "sync source" should be. I been using both Auroras since last winter so I didn't change anything. Its a bit tricky because the Lynx manuals have no description of this type set up.

We do have the LT-HD cards in both auroras and each connect via their own digilink to the native card in the mac.

I think I made the cable correctly... it beeps out and making cables I actually understand. There are so many variables, I'm a bit lost
Sync source should be external on the Auroras, assuming you are clocking to the Forssell.

If you are connecting the Aurora16 to the Forssell's then the Aurora will have to be in 32 channel mode. With the Aurora8 I'm not sure, but it will have to be in 16 channel mode, if that is not standard.

You may have to set a sync source in Pro Tools too, I forget, it's been a while..

Matt
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search