The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First hard comp for live electronic rig? DJ Effects
Old 6th August 2011
Here for the gear

First hard comp for live electronic rig?

I'll be using using a Rane TTM 56 with an Octatrack, Tempest(waiting), Korg KP3, DSI MEK, and occasional vinyl on the TTX. Of course nobody can speak for the Tempest yet, but the rig will be half n' half analog/digital with a pronounced emphasis on the digital side, due to my style and routing.

I wanna purchase my first ever hardware comp and strap it across the mix. My intent is to add an organic character and most importantly, keep my levels in check after all the live effects processing that will occur with this rig. I didn't see any threads exactly like this, but I'm sure we'll seymour soon. I've been lurking, and my four best choices may be:

1)Kush UBK Fatso--sure, not the ideal 2-buss, but I hear it has excellent compression, character, and will take the digital clean outta my jams...
2)Universal Audio 2-1176--I can't go any higher than thi$. It's the 1176 sound known for drums...it's proven to sound big...or sterile and expensive?
3)API 2500--grabby? I dunno. I'll have crunchy drums and thick synths...good piece to start with?
4)Drawmer 1968 Mercenary--great price point, maybe it'll be versatile. But is it a choice compared to the other three?

What would be a great first high-end piece to build off of and impact my final sound all around? Thanks!

P.S. I'm impressed with UBK's demeanor and professional honesty!
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Guru

Of the ones you've listed, I think mine and the Drawmer are the safest choices for a live mix, because you can keep pushing into them and they won't pump or completely kill the transients. The Drawmer is less overtly colored and more mellow in its release than the UBK, which might actually make it a stronger choice for your application depending on how close you are to your desired sound already.

I adore the 2500, I've probably posted a thousand more plugs for it than mine own stuff, but it's a very touchy creature on a whole mix and needs to be massaged with great care to prevent it from folding everything in on itself and either killing the drums completely or, worse, pumping the whole track unmusically. It's really at its best in small doses on 2-bus, much more of a studio piece in my opinion. I'd be really reluctant to use it that way in a live situation unless I had one job, running sound. If you're also making music on the fly, I don't advise it.

The 2-1176 doesn't glue mixes in ways I like, nor does its 'swing' make sense on a whole program. But lord, the 1176 is my all time favorite drum compressor, and it's fantastic on guitars and keys too, as are all of the above.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Daking

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search