The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
high noise end gates ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

high noise end gates ?

Have searched but cant find much about high end noise gates?
Basically I dug up my old Alesis 3630 and thought to myself -

"is there a similar unit in a high end version?"

So, thats the question?
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Ugh, the 3630 has got to be the worst noise gate I've ever tried. Matches the comp, lol.

For something that actually works, first, make sure the gate has filters, or if not, make sure you can insert an eq on the sidechain.

The drawmer ds201 or the Behringer intelligate (which ripped off the ds201 design) are the standard choices that have onboard filters.
Old 5th August 2011
Arguably, the finest noise gate ever made was the dbx "supergate" model 172. Surgical in its effectiveness... I have one in the rack, never gets used anymore, well, not by me.

Hmmm... maybe I should list it in Classifieds...
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Drawmerq
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Drawmer
Old 5th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy G View Post
Have searched but cant find much about high end noise gates?
Basically I dug up my old Alesis 3630 and thought to myself -

"is there a similar unit in a high end version?"

So, thats the question?
Drawmer DS-201, 404, Valley People Kepex II, B&B CX-1, DBX 172, Aphex 1 RU stuff [622?], JBL LA22 [awesome], etc .
Old 5th August 2011
+1 on Drawmer, they make great gear.
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply's will check them out !
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Drawmer DS201 is the "industry standard". Drawmer DS501 and Aphex 622 are even more comprehensive. That's your short list.
Old 6th August 2011
I am glad somebody brought up gates. They seem to get pushed under the rug a lot here, and a lot of new generation daw users don't even like them on drums.

I can't live without them, and think they can be a great tone shaping tool.

I agree with what others have said regarding the Alesis. Although the nasty dirty compressor in it can be cool when trying to destroy a drum track or something, back when they were one of the few things I had, I longed for something better....every time I used it.

3630 on vocals =

The gate I found a little bordering on unusable too. Very hard to set up for what little parameters you get. Sorry, not to bust on the unit, it can be a great unit to learn compression with on the cheap.

Sometimes I still feel like I'd rather have a 3630 than some plugin comps FWIW. Lo fi drum room mics slammed to hell, etc. Crunchy nasty.

Sorry, OT ....As far as gates...

Valley Kepex or BSS for me and Drawmer is solid too. Any of these will get you there. The Valleys are not the most transparent, and in 2011 you kinda notice...but they work when you get them in the mix just fine.

The Brooks Siren gates absolutely SLAM on drums. Not sure what it does, but actually seems to add punch to the leading edge or transient of the signal. I have not used anything quite like it. Very "blown up". Almost like an SPL transient designer is on there. They aren't cheap though, because the people that have them, know what they are selling.

Makes drums PUNCH hard though

Drawmer made something similar later (MX40?), with their "Punch Gate" thing. They hit pretty hard as well, but sound different. I have not used it enough to really compare, but when trying to get out of it what the Brooks did, I didn't get the same thing happening. If given the choice, it would be the Brooks for me.

BSS Audio DPR-504 (discontinued)

I have a plain old Aphex frequency keyed gate that works as good as any other too, easy to dial in, but does not do the hyped up "punchy" thing people love on drums.

BTW, does anybody make a plugin gate that does the hyped transient thing to pseudo counter the delayed / missing attack when it opens?

Does Drawmer have a plug?

Anybody?

Gates are something I wouldn't mind going all dsp with these days, because it is so easy to manipulate the open time in a daw.

Good luck in your search,
john
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Drawmer does have a plug...and plug in gates are actually something that plugs do well.

www.aisle6productions.com.au
[email protected]
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Addict

drawmer and kepex.

Loved Kepex back in the day, early 80's when the 2nd British wave hit.

The kepex is a great piece 30 yrs later.
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

valley people including kepex stuff is cool.

haven't used drawmer myself so can't comment on those.
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Try to get your hands on the 2-channel version of the Valley People GateX.
The hysteresis knob is what makes this gate smarter than all others.
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Try to get your hands on the 2-channel version of the Valley People GateX.
The hysteresis knob is what makes this gate smarter than all others.
The hysteresis feature (off set between turn on threshold and turn off threshold) is something that is built in to the Drawmer and has been a part of their success from the beginning. The gate cannot chatter and that is a really big deal. So Andy, you are absolutely right that Hysteresis is key!

Variable/adjustable speed is another very important feature-this has made the Drawmers work properly under a wider variety of situations. Adjusting the speed of attack on low freq material vs high freq material is critical to control "clicking" artifacts when you start messing with the attack of the waveform. The Drawmer's also use freq sensitivity controls to get the gate to listen to a specific freq band only and a key listen to help you tune it. Very important on big kits or mixed perscussion. Those three things, hysteresis, variable speed, frequency "conscious" adjustments are probably why the Drawmers have stuck around and most of the others have gone. Here's the front panel of a 201 gate where you can see the control set that over time seems to work out best.

TransAudio Group - DS201

The only thing new I have seen in gates in the last 10 years is in the Drawmer 501 gate. It adds to the 201 a very fast little expander, tied to the gate opening, to restore the attack of signal, as this is often messed up in some gating situations (very noisy stage or lack of isolation between similar freq gated drums). It sort of "punches" the signal a little, +3 to 6 something like that for a very very short duration giving the drum some attack again.

Some of the "gates" mentioned in this thread aren't gates at all, but downward expanders, like the ones you find in all-in-one compressors. These never work well for drums but can be useful for other stuff that does not have a sharp attack. These just turn the level up and down fast and are therefore too slow for drums. There is one unit, the 404, that is switchable between downward expander and a true gate-kind of nice for rental rigs where your needs change back and forth frequently (noisy guitar rig isolation vs drum gating).

Compared to the plug-ins and built in live console gates, the analog Drawmer gates DO sound better, the difference is quite noticeable on major elements such as kick/snare.

Brad
Drawmer USA
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

I have 6 channels of 201s . . there are also some old Allison Research and Kepex IIs around here . . but I hardly ever gate drums or much of anything else anymore, even though 2 inch is the preferred medium here. All those gates were bought MANY years ago. Nor am I in to that 'isolated' sound on drums. I TRIED to use the gates in PT once. Hated them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search