The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compact monitors with metal grills? Focal CMS 65? Studio Monitors
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Compact monitors with metal grills? Focal CMS 65?

I mainly use KH O300D, but need a set of compact monitors for mobility (locational recording or moving between studios occasionally). Focal CMS 40 seems to have metal grills for protecting the tweeter and driver. Are CMS 65 the same? I couldn't find any info or photos regarding the grills.

Are there any compact monitors in the similar price range ($500-1000 USD each) come with protection grills?

Thanks!
Old 4th August 2011
Here for the gear

I just recently picked up a pair of 65's and I can confirm that they do come with the metal grills. I took mine off for studio use, but they can be left on or reinstalled for travel purposes.
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

Yes, the CMS 65 comes with removable metal protective grills on the tweeter & the woofer.. If you use them without the tweeter grills, remember to install the phase plugs that come in the box for the best performance.

Ian
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys! Are Focal CMS monitors the only choice? Though they are "studio" monitors, I am surprised only Focal has the protective grills option.
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Neumann KH 120's have metal grilles, bretheren of your 0300's.
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

Here's the only picture I could find of the 65 with the grill. You can just see it peeking out of the travel bag.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Compact monitors with metal grills? Focal CMS 65?-cms65bag.jpg  
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Addict

Genelec are "grilled" . For KRK VXT You can buy grill separately.
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao View Post
Thanks guys! Are Focal CMS monitors the only choice? Though they are "studio" monitors, I am surprised only Focal has the protective grills option.
Are you aware that neumann bought K+H, and the neumann KH 120's are actually the upgrade of the O110's, best sound for a small size, you should have a listen if you already use the O300's!
Old 5th August 2011
Are the grills supposed to be used to protect the monitors when mobilized only or can they be used all the times?
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

Any grill - screen or cloth - will change the dispersion of a driver negatively. The higher the frequency, the greater the impact. You can expect a little detail masking & a restriction in the speaker's 'openness' & imaging capabilities.

Ian
Old 5th August 2011
So it’s better not to use the grills at all while the monitors are in use!

Razik's Mastering
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks!!!!

Does anyone have KH120 with grills' pictures? Neumann's webpage shows it has "Robust metal grille", but looking at their photos I am not sure it's on the tweeter or on both tweeter and driver.

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neuma...onitors_KH120A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Genelec are "grilled" . For KRK VXT You can buy grill separately.
I still have a KRK V4 which sounds very good for its size and price (though it's very boomy....). Later I bough used VXT 8 and thought it will be great because it's the newest model with a large driver, can and amp. I was totally wrong....... they sound so harsh. I can't stand it even for 2 minutes! They went back to eBay.

Genelec used to be great, but they cost too much now IMHO. Don't know why they charge so much when there are more competitors now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
Are you aware that neumann bought K+H, and the neumann KH 120's are actually the upgrade of the O110's, best sound for a small size, you should have a listen if you already use the O300's!
Yeah.... Originally I planned to choose KH120, because I am very used to O300D's sound. Though they are still different monitors, being designed by the same company probably would have a similar consistent sound. BUT that Focal's travel bag looks so cool. It's exactly what I need for transportation. Neumann seems to have a soft carry bag for KH120, but Neumann's accessories are always overpriced.
http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neuma...nitors_KH120A#

It's also very hard to make decision between KH120 and Focal CMS65/ or 50. For mobility, I'd like smaller cabs and lighter weight, but I feel small size speakers usually sound "small" or sometime "boomy", even it may be able to produce impressive low end. Focal CMS65 seems to be better, due to larger driver and cab, but 2 of them is almost 50 lbs!

(Unfortunately, I can't find a dealer around my location has both Focal and KH120.)

Decisions! Decisions!

BTW, what does Focal's "CMS" stand for? Consumer Monitor System? That doesn't sound very encouraging.......
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks!!!!

Does anyone have KH120 with grills' pictures? Neumann's webpage shows it has "Robust metal grille", but looking at their photos I am not sure it's on the tweeter or on both tweeter and driver.
I have a loan pair of KH 120A at the moment.

Yes, they are the replacements for the K+H O110 and sound very similar (I have listened to them side by side).

Yes, both drive units are well protected with integrated metal grills.

Neumann do both a padded carrying bag and a full flight case option for them.

For my own O110Ds I went to KTS (KTSystems) and got them to make me a custom padded bag for them. Cost about £50 I think.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

(Unfortunately, I can't find a dealer around my location has both Focal and KH120.)
What country are you in?

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

CMS = Compact Monitoring System. heh

Ian
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
What country are you in?

USA.

Guitar Center website lists both KH120 and CMS65. I went to a Guitar Center in Natick MA yesterday, but unfortunately they had nothing. Though they do have ADAM A7 and few small Dynaudio monitors, I didn't bother to demo.
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

If you're looking for something cheap the Yamaha MSP-5's have metal grilles.
Old 7th August 2011
To find an authorized dealer in your area go to the manufacture web site and search for a dealer by entering your area zip code. That's what I did good luck.

Focal: Find a dealer near you.
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Addict

I actually A/B'd the KH 120 and the CMS 50 in my local store
The KH 120 are the same size as the CMS 50, but more accurate, more natural, deeper and punchier basses.
The CMS 50 are still a great value for money, and have better reputation than the CMS65, less linear...
I you want to go focal i would recommend the CMS 50, or the bigger SOLO6.

I went for the KH120, small but very impressive!
Old 8th August 2011
Quote:
The CMS 50 are still a great value for money, and have better reputation than the CMS65, less linear...
I you want to go focal i would recommend the CMS 50, or the bigger SOLO6.
I am not sure I agree the CMS50's are "less linear" than the CM65's. Or, do you mean the CMS65s are less linear? Not sure I would agree there either..as both speakers are very accurate to my ears with virtually the same response. The differences to me are the throw of the bass, and the added power of the CMS65. The CMS50's are probably the most useful near fields reference speakers I have used, ever!!! The tone, depth and top end dispersion, low cabinet diffraction are similar between the 65 and 50. Having tried these all, I very much agree 100% that the CMS50's or the Solo 6BE are the cows utters.....
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Addict

i meant the 65's are less linear than the 50's, they have more bass, but not as trust ful as the 50's in the low mid's, that's only my opinion.
Bigger than the 50's i much prefer the solo6 than the 65's for the price
Old 8th August 2011
Quote:
i meant the 65's are less linear than the 50's, they have more bass, but not as trust ful as the 50's in the low mid's, that's only my opinion.
Bigger than the 50's i much prefer the solo6 than the 65's for the price
Ok, now I understand what you mean. I hear the bigger bass on them, as more forward, and not really dragging it through. Sometimes the room can pronounce this effect, and I have found that Focal speakers REALLY need to break in for a LONG TIME, and won't fully "settle" in faster than a month of quality usage. But, I do think the CMS50's are preferable for me, and the Solo's are over and above, wonderfully executed, and probably my favorite Focal offering.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear
I had the CMS 50's and did not like them. They was okay but much prefer the Adams I have now, especially to mix on, allot more open and clear. I gave the Focal's allot of break in time also.

But it's interesting to read the CMS 50's are potentially better then the CMS 65's, I think I would have been more happy with the 65's due to more low end response. But monitors are personal so its subjective

But for the OP, the Focal CMS are built like tanks with Metal Grilles, they are perfect for something mobile, they are really well built and will be very hard to break. For something mobile they are perfect.
Old 8th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
I had the CMS 50's and did not like them. They was okay but much prefer the Adams I have now, especially to mix on, allot more open and clear. I gave the Focal's allot of break in time also.

But it's interesting to read the CMS 50's are potentially better then the CMS 65's, I think I would have been more happy with the 65's due to more low end response.

But for the OP, the Focal CMS are built like tanks with Metal Grilles, they are perfect for something mobile, they are really well built and will be very hard to break.
It is a preference/room/work thing I am sure......with speakers, and is probably a lot of reason you like the ADAM's over the CMS50's. Comes down to trying them out in your space really. I prefer the CMS50's over the ADAM's because of the way they drive me to a result. That's all, just preference....
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear
Yes it's all a personal thing! Someone else could hate both of them and pick up some 120's . All down to personal preference.
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Having tried these all, I very much agree 100% that the CMS50's or the Solo 6BE are the cows utters.....
...have the CMS50's and the Solos in my shop; the monitors work really well together.
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks!!!!

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring
If you hit "zoom" on the picture, you can clearly see that it is on the tweeter.

I have attached the full-sized picture from the Neumann website if you can't find it (click on the thumbnail and then click on the picture to see it full size).

I have also attached a picture of the carrying bag for a pair of KH120s which, I understand, retails for just €114 (not sure what that is is US$).

If you want to take your O300s on the road, Neumann do make protective metal grills for them - see HERE - they also make a flight case for the O300 as well. Though, personally, I would leave the O300s at home and take a pair of the KH 120 to location (as I do now with my O110Ds).

I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Compact monitors with metal grills? Focal CMS 65?-neumann_kh120_front_rgb_2.jpg   Compact monitors with metal grills? Focal CMS 65?-neumann_bkh120_3663_zoom.jpg  
Old 8th August 2011
Jai guru deva om

The Focal CMS are not meant to be listened to with the grills installed, you can...but it's not their intention as it degrades the sound. They are meant for travel and protection. If you plan on taking them off while monitoring, then that would work just fine.

The Neumann are permanently affixed (it seems, I am looking at a pair right now and they don't seem removable), and integral to the design.

War
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The Neumann are permanently affixed (it seems, I am looking at a pair right now and they don't seem removable), and integral to the design.

War
The KH 120 (as is also the K+H O110) have permanent tough metal grills.

On the O300, however, the grill is optional and removable - it's really necessary if you move them as the mid-range driver sticks out and is easily damaged.
Old 9th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
On the O300, however, the grill is optional and removable
You mean this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search