The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what part of the drum kit do you use to check phase of other kit pices? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 7th August 2011
I think I speak for the rest of the class when I say Slipperman has covered the subject in its entirety and with such great detail that there is nothing more anyone could possibly add.

Well Done!
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

Anybody using variable-phase tools? like the Radial or the Little Labs?

I haven´t tried either but are curious if they can be useful when recording drums?

Thanks!
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Addict

The difference between moving mics and adjusting via delays/phase rotating later in the mix is that when you move the mic, you ALSO change the phase relationship between the source, the room, and other sources. When you adjust the tracks later in the mix, you're adjusting all those things in tandem, so in essence you're stuck with the phase relationship between the source and everything else you've established.

Do both.
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTStudios View Post
The difference between moving mics and adjusting via delays/phase rotating later in the mix is that when you move the mic, you ALSO change the phase relationship between the source, the room, and other sources. When you adjust the tracks later in the mix, you're adjusting all those things in tandem, so in essence you're stuck with the phase relationship between the source and everything else you've established.

Do both.
. Absolutely.
Old 7th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post
Anybody using variable-phase tools? like the Radial or the Little Labs?

I haven´t tried either but are curious if they can be useful when recording drums?

Thanks!
I use a Little Labs IBP for the in the kick/out of the kick mics.It is a VERY useful tool in my opinion, ESPECIALLY if you multi mic drums. I use one usually on the in the kick mic. It makes the in and out mics play nice with each other.
My general approach with drums is start with the overheads , and bring in the kick mics, then the snare then everything else. I'll check phase as I go. No agony at all.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTStudios View Post

Do both.
Good point. It is also why whilst tweaking them in the mix, you must decide how best to work with those existing relationships. For me it is: time align kick in to out, any multiple snare mics to the farthest one (sometimes to the HH when snare bleed is excessive), then actually move the OHs forward in time to align with the snare time point. The toms will normally be very close to being in time with the snare. Obviously room mics are meant to be distant (natural pre-delay!), and therefore out of time, I make no time adjustments to them.

Obviously it is best to physically optimize the mic relationships when tracking, it is of the utmost importance. I deal with many nightmarish situations when mixing tracks sent to me where this has not been well taken care of.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
Very true. When I first started recording drums a few years ago it occured to me almost instantly that when drums mics sounded out-of-phase with eachother punching in phase shift would only make them sound different - not better.
That is because that button is actually "polarity", "phase" is actually time.
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Addict

How about when you're only using one mic? Do you tend to have an opinion on absolute polarity?
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Head

thanks for all the info guys, im learning a lot from this. Its kinda making sense now, especialy the overheads info. It makes sense to check the "spot" mics against the overheads for phase because the overheads are "always playing" no matter whats being hit, they are a constant. Checking the phase between the snare and 2nd tom mic wouldnt be as important because its highly unlikely that those two kit pieces will be hit at the same time (unless you're the drummer from the eagles!) and it isnt those two mics that will be making up the end sound of either kit piece, its mic "A" the spot mic combined with mic "B" the overhead, that makes up the end result. I've just gained a whole new perspective on drum recording from this thread. Thanks heaps guys, cant wait to experiment,

cheers,
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

I think Slipperman shoulda been a RAPPER!!
Old 8th August 2011
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
I think Slipperman shoulda been a RAPPER!!
Wait!...???

Mr. R. Kelly?

I though you were in Chicago taking a leak on somebody.

HOHOHO.

Kill ya.

SM.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Wait!...???

Mr. R. Kelly?

I though you were in Chicago taking a leak on somebody.

HOHOHO.

Kill ya.

SM.
Was that YOU on the other end of my stream???

Take THAT !!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search