The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Male tenor Vocal microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 1st August 2011
Here for the gear

Male tenor Vocal microphone

I'm interested in upgrading my vocal mic. I'm looking at Lucas cs-4, bock 507, Neumann M49, and Flea 47. Can anyone comment on these choices? I am presently using a Rode Classic 2. Also do you think upgrading to any one of these microphones will make a considerable difference from the Rode?
Thanks!

I use an Avalon 737 / and a Tab vm78. Into metric halo 2882. Logic pro.

U can check out my timbre/voice via UTube. Type in Douglas Genuard.
Old 1st August 2011
FOR (MALE) TENOR VOICE?

Take the opportunity to rent both a Neumann U89 and a Neumann TLM170 and try them out.

The U89 is my favorite tenor vocal microphone. Very refined, hi-fi sound, less color than a U87 or U87a, a lot less color than a U67 or U47 or variant.

As a tenor, your voice is likely already pure and clear in tone and projects well. You don't wish to color that up very much.

Just my thoughts, opinions will vary!!
Old 1st August 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks! I'll check them out.
Old 1st August 2011
Lives for gear

i would try m49, u47 and u67. one will fit. promise.
ps.....all the mics you mentioned will make a significant difference from a rode! big time!
Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear

There is no way to tell which mic is best for your voice without hearing them. A working Neumann M49 is like $10,000 but would sound great. The modern, and much cheaper, M149 might also work for you if you want something very clear and open sounding. For about the same as an M149 you could get an old "Made in Western Germany" U87 and it's hard to go wrong with one of those because you can almost always eq it to work. The best sounding ones tend to be from the 70's or earlier. The TLM 170 and U89 are very good mics, but I always tend to prefer the more colored U87 on male vocals, but your milage may vary. If you can, I would rent or borrow as many mics as you can to see what works. It might even be worth buying some time at a pro studio to test out what they have on your own voice.
Old 3rd August 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks....
Old 11th August 2011
Here for the gear

Ok guys. I'm narrowing my microphone choice to these microphones. If u have a minute please type in Douglas Genuard on u tube and listen to the unchained melody video. Go to Manana de carnival then hit Douglas 2011. I am using a aTab Funkenwerk Vm78m and an Avalon VT 737. Also thinking of getting a BAE 1073mp. Thanks for any help!
1. Flea 47
2. TELEFUNKEN u47
3. Winder CM7
4. Lucas CS-4
5. Neiman M149
6. Manley reference cardiod

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search