The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Original U47 or Soundelux E47
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

Original U47 or Soundelux E47

Ok - crazy question - kind of - I am really in the market for a U47 tube - classic mic - but the E47 sounds great, lower noise floor, etc. I think the U47 will be a better value in the long run. What's the concensus?
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

The biggest problem with owning a vintage U47 is the VF14 tube... when it goes its a bitch to replace. There are other options:

Tele USA, Wunder, Wagner, etc.
Old 16th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Yeah - but are the new ones that sound "like" the old ones a good investment, too? Or is the concensus that they will not become new classics.
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

I would not look at it like a Neumann sound alike, rather just a great vocal mic. I have owned the E47 and have rented many U47's. Number one: all U47's sound different. Number two: E47's have certain characteristics of the Neumann, but all in all they are a different mic. The Neumann in general seems to be a little darker. If you buy the Vintage make sure you do some A B ing. I have heard some that have been through many hands, and don't sound like a Neumann anymore.
www.bluethumbproductions.com
Lives for gear

I agree. It's getting tough as I want to build the locker and I want to invest in some quality gear that will retain it's value as the years move forward. It feels like most things will be modeled pretty well in the box except for classic mics and artists so I am trying to stay on top with my mic collection.

I guess I will just listen to bunch of these mics and choose the one I like best and leave it at that.
Lives for gear
I owned an E47 for 2 years and thought it was a very over rated mic. I used it with several pres on many sources and eventually sold it - I do not miss it. FWIW I have only ever heard 1 real valve U47,

cheers,
Ruairi
Old 16th March 2006
Here for the gear

why not try a Lawson LMP 47. I prefer this to the Soundelux on vocals.
Lives for gear

The thing that is scary about getting a u47 is the condition of the capsule. I have recently learned just how beat up they can get!

Check out the Wunder Cm7, if you can. This is an awesome mic and holds its own against the best of em.
Lives for gear

Thanks - I am also looking at a few different C24's. Thinking of picking up one. Any advice?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc
Thanks - I am also looking at a few different C24's. Thinking of picking up one. Any advice?
Wow...two VERY different sounding mics if you are deciding between the two, but I imagine you know that already.

If it were ME, I would not buy a C24 or any other mic with a CK12 capsule unless you can consider the mic "disposable". A little harsh? Maybe, but a VERY high percentage of CK12s WILL go bad (lose tension) and there is simply no real replacement. Note that I have two 414s with the brass capsule. If and when they go bad, I will probably just sell the mics.

So with the 47 you have a tube that is very difficult (not impossible yet) to replace; but you can replace the capsule (probably not with an M7, but with an arguably 'excellent' Neumann).

But with a mic that has CK12s most people do not believe there is any capsule available that will contribute the same things to the sound of the mic.

By the way; I have two E47s (serial number 002 and a much higher one. And they sound enough different that different people prefer one over the other, depending on the application.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Lives for gear

Thanks - I do know they are different mics - these are just some classics I am looking at. I just got my first Geffell - which is amazing - so I may just buy one of their Tube mics for a goto main tube LD. The CM7 looks pretty sweet, too.
Old 17th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O
By the way; I have two E47s (serial number 002 and a much higher one. And they sound enough different that different people prefer one over the other, depending on the application.
If you don't mind my asking, can you say which (low SN or higher SN) is preferred more often for male vocals?
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree. It's getting tough as I want to build the locker and I want to invest in some quality gear that will retain it's value as the years move forward. It feels like most things will be modeled pretty well in the box except for classic mics and artists so I am trying to stay on top with my mic collection.

I guess I will just listen to bunch of these mics and choose the one I like best and leave it at that.
If you find something you like and use it regularly, it will always retain its value to you. For me, predicting what will be valuable to others is not a factor in my purchases. If it will be put to good use, then there's a good chance I'll buy it. This goes for everything, not just mics. And for what it's worth, my 'emulated software versions' of hardware does not ever sound like my hardware piece of the same name. Usable, and maybe 'modelled pretty well', but not the same as the real thing.

I think that going with what you like will serve you much better in the end than trying to predict what will become a classic piece of gear.

Cheers,
john
Lives for gear

Thanks John - I agree - it is about what one likes. I also want to make smart investments in the stuff. I mean when you drop 6-10k on mics, it's nice to know that they also hold their value, don't you think?

Quote:
Thanks John - I agree - it is about what one likes. I also want to make smart investments in the stuff. I mean when you drop 6-10k on mics, it's nice to know that they also hold their value, don't you think?
If you are looking at investing... buy real estate. I think if you aren't a commercial studio that requires these mics for clients, you shouldn't be buying $10k mics. Unless, of course you are independently wealthy. It's great to have classic mics, but there are lots of great mics like the Peluso and Pearlman mics that are capable of giving you a sound similar to a good 47, for 1/10th the price. Take that for what it's worth, but as someone who has owned both vintage C12's and C800G's, etc. I can safely say that they are great mics, but they are a huge investment and unless you are going to be getting some kind of return on that investment(more money from clients), I can't recommend you buy them for your home or project studio. Take a look at the Peluso 22 47 LE with EF14 tube, it can't be beat for the money...

Lives for gear

Thanks Tony - I do run a commercial facility. It's been my experience that my workhorse mics are the ones that really make me money - U87's, TLII's, etc. So far, I have sucesded in renting the U67's, U47's as I need them. I just love microphones - for me that's where the sound is (next to an awesome performer in a great studio). And I was thinking of trying out some of these legendary mics to see what they could do for my work if I had them around.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR
If you don't mind my asking, can you say which (low SN or higher SN) is preferred more often for male vocals?
Totally dependant on the male vocalist. Big help huh? Sorry about that.
Lives for gear

Quote:
A smart investment from a music recording perspective is buying things you will use to either make money or make yourself happy. These are tools, in the end. If you buy quality tools, you will get a lot of satisfactory use out of it. Honestly, if I'm using the stuff, I really don't care about the value. Because it has value to me. Then again, I don't buy things with an eye to flip it in the near future. I take a long time to demo stuff and make my decisions if I'm not sure if I want something. I suggest you do the same before you buy anything. The amount of gear I've sold in the last ten years I can count on one hand -- and one piece was a guitar pedal.

Take your time and buy good stuff!! It'll make you feel better about your purchases, and more confident about suggesting things to clients as well...

Cheers,
John
Lives for gear

Hey look - I totally agree with you - so I guess back to the right tool - I know it's what I like - but I was hoping to get some info - which I did get on owners perspectives on some of this gear. A lot of these posts were super helpful. Thanks!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks - I do know they are different mics - these are just some classics I am looking at. I just got my first Geffell - which is amazing - so I may just buy one of their Tube mics for a goto main tube LD. The CM7 looks pretty sweet, too.

the um75 is a sweet, sweet mic...as is the um900(gefell) well hell, anything by gefell.

teddy
Gear Addict

I have used U47's in the past, and own an E47.

Recently I had the first opportunity to put the two of them up against each other in direct comparison.

The result?

It killed my U47 dreams, the E47 held up incredibly well, I must say.
I actually ended setting the E47 up in one room(30m2, dry) and the U47 in another room(125m2) for vocal takes, and switched according to which room fitted the song.
Pre on both was a V76.

Now I want another E47.
I would say it's an UNDERRATED mic these days.

Have not tried the E47c.

The U47 in question was incrediby well mantained, btw.
Lives for gear

the e47 compared to my vintage u48? sorry the e47 just doesn't have the magic!
also compared it to my neumann/gefell cmv 563a's w/ m7 caps and same deal.
just not near as open and sweet. the brauner vm1 beat it as well for that matter.
sadly i was really underwhelmed by the e47. i was trying to get the guy i lease one of my studio spaces upstairs to sell his M147 (which i REALLY don't like!) and get an E47 because i'd heard good things about it. i did like it better than his M147 but the others smoked it and all agreed.
i'd love to hear the current neumann-gefell line cause if they're like my old ones, they'd be great.
but then again, a new neumann isn't like an old one!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

The Gefell looks like it might be the one for me. The new Gefell's are magic.
Lives for gear

I love my E47. I've been told by many that this one is the best that they've heard. Perhaps, it's attributed to the fact that I have moved the internal jumper into the 'cardioid only' position.

I love the damned thing. Works very well for male vocalists. The top end is not strident, but very clear and open.
Lives for gear

Which mic should you choose? The original U47.

Make sure it's all original, no modifications.
Gear Maniac

mag mic ,mag 87

if you're after couple good sounding mics get the innertube mag mic mm 2000 and the the mag 87 kit for your u87 .thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
I love my E47. I've been told by many that this one is the best that they've heard. Perhaps, it's attributed to the fact that I have moved the internal jumper into the 'cardioid only' position.

I love the damned thing. Works very well for male vocalists. The top end is not strident, but very clear and open.
It actually comes shipped Cardiod Only. Does this really have an affect on it? Or is that just a guess?

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Lives for gear

Judge for yourself:

U47

E47
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
It actually comes shipped Cardiod Only.www.bluethumbproductions.com
It now comes that way. Mine is one of the originals-back when they were multipattern.

And yes, there was an obvious difference.

And no, it was not a guess.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
It now comes that way. Mine is one of the originals-back when they were multipattern.

And yes, there was an obvious difference.

And no, it was not a guess.
Thanks for that info, I own one also that has a Multi Pattern option. I left it in the Cardioid
mode. So I have never A/B ed it.
πŸ“ Reply