The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Original U47 or Soundelux E47
Old 18th March 2006 | Show parent
  #61
Gear Maniac
 
DaveH's Avatar
I had both “new” E47 and an e47c in my hands in September
of last year.

For me I kept the E47 and sent back the e47c. Multi-pattern was
important for me.

The sound is different between the two and I would recommend that if possible
listen to both if any way possible.

Please note: I was not trying to buy something that sounded like
a U47, I was just buying a Soundelux.
(I’ve never heard two U47s that sound the same).
I am on the list for one of the Wagner U47w.

Information about the E47 and e47c is coming in two forms:

Form 1. Most people use the U47 in the Cardioid mode and therefore the Soundelux version
will be used mostly in the Cardioid mode. Therefore Soundelux “improved” the sound when it
went to the e47c by optimizing everything for this single pattern of operation.

Form 2: The prices on several components went up in price and to keep the
Soundelux microphone competitive they had to lower the cost by doing the following:
a. Stop using dual capsule and go to single capsule.(losing multi pattern mode).
(Early version of e47c look like both capsules were there, just one was not connected).
b. Reduce cost in area of power supply, and it’s multi-pattern control.
c. Reduce cost by using lower cost tube.

P.S. Rather disheartening to see the only reviews on
the Soundelux e47c page really refer to the original E47.
(It is 6 months after the release of the e47c).
Old 18th March 2006 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
mtstudios@charter's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo
It looks like that was posted back in 2004, before the E47c had even been announced. I imagine they gave it a different model number for that very reason, because they were making sonic (as well as other) changes. I'm sure that it was just an oversight on their part if they responded differently to you, or maybe they meant that all E47c's sounded the same. In any case you've got the "real" answer straight from the proverbial horse's mouth.

-Duardo
Well I hope I got the better of the two mics.
Old 19th March 2006 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
ripper's Avatar
 

It doesn't do anyone any good to say something sucks unless you have first hand knowledge of the suck-factor, and have some way to back it up other that just saying it sucks. Or you can just say, 'it wasn't for me' and leave it at that...

Cheers,
john[/QUOTE]

I understand your point. it points to an obvious inherent flaw in DISCUSSIONS about the nuances of high end audio. I'm not sure how I'd back up the fact that I think the old Neumanns I've compared w/ the new Sounddeluxes have a magic openess and air i found to be subtly lacking in the newer mic. I guess saying IMHO is the only way to back things up... most of us appreciate the info others try to pass on and try to pass on what we hold to be the things we've found. You do as well, I know. Just not sure how we can make things scientific in this esoteric area that has so much to do with subjective tastes.
Saying something sucks is fairly extreme, I agree. And actually, I keep a few sucky old 12 bit verbs around because sometimes sucking is just the ticket. So do they suck at that point? Hmmmm...
Old 19th March 2006 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
I was not successful in finding better sounding U47 than Wagner U47.
All U47s I tried were similar in character with Wagner, but in all cases I preferred Wagner.
Also, Korby's U47 brings very similar, good quality for even less cash, I can easily do U47 type recordings with it, clients love it, sounds sit well in the mix.
So, I think that only real reason to spend time on searching for holy grail U 47 is just too impress clients.
If this is the point, than I would buy first more-less affordable U47, no matter if it sounds better or not, something like icon added to studio list, what is really BS logic from the purely music making point of the view.
Old 30th March 2006
  #65
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc
Ok - crazy question - kind of - I am really in the market for a U47 tube - classic mic - but the E47 sounds great, lower noise floor, etc. I think the U47 will be a better value in the long run. What's the concensus?
wagner U47w if you're looking for U47 experience. it is quiet and excellent sounding mic
but not a bargain. love mine. it feels good side by side to an U47 ...
Old 8th April 2006
  #66
Mic
Here for the gear
 

E47 vs U47

Hi everybody,

after months of reading posts and testing microphones for my personal studio I decided to go for the U47 sound. I was able to compare the Soundelux E47c with a Neumann U47 in a recording studio in Berlin (Trixx) A/B with an Avalon pre-amp.

The Soundelux won the "reality" test. Which is obviously a VERY subjective thing. As I am the singer and as I was looking for typical U47 charactistics (the voice just being "there" and all the personality brought across) it was easy to make a decision.

I bought the Soundelux E47c End of January, I use it every day and I am still very happy with it.

I didn't like the Lawson on my voice: not enough bottom so on a lot of songs the "peformance" of my vocals couldn't survive the guitars / drums etc.
The Neumann M149 was too soft in the lows - good on electronic music without guitars or real drums or just straight pop music but too sweet for rock.
Didn't like the SM7 at all. Way too muffled, detached. Didn't like the Manleys and Brauners neither. Funny in the top frequencies.

The original Neumann U47 was somethere between the M149 and the Soundelux E47c. In my opinion the Soundelux really rocks for male voice.

My curent setup: E47c -> UA 610 -> LA2A -> RME ADIPRO

Mic
Old 8th April 2006 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic
As I am the singer and as I was looking for typical U47 charactistics (the voice just being "there" and all the personality brought across)
Trying Horch RM2J may quite surprise you ...
Old 8th April 2006 | Show parent
  #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek
Trying Horch RM2J may quite surprise you ...
I was wondering if someone was going to bring up the Horch. I have never heard one but I hear great things about it.
Old 8th April 2006 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek
Trying Horch RM2J may quite surprise you ...
Ivo,you ended up buying the one you demoed right?,,sounded really good on your stuff..
I use a pair of original U47's all the time and the Horch although different, has a lotta the old vibe/magic..a lovely mic.
a well mantained 47 is pretty hard to beat
..hate fixing those old connectors though,I learned the hard way,shocked the **** outta myself years ago with some bad soldering.!
If i was burning with cash,the Wagner and Wunder would be a definite U47 contender and the Horch for something equally cool but different.
But like John said .. pick the right tools and you'll be happy with the investment.
Old 9th April 2006 | Show parent
  #70
Gear Maniac
 

My E47 stopped working today. Fine yesterday and dead today.

Bought new (ser# 019) and arrived with a crashed tube. David Bock was kind and shipped me two spare ones.

Shipping it back to the US for service is a BIIIG drag but I`d do it with a lighter heart if the mike could have a little tweaking done while being back in the lab.
Old 9th April 2006 | Show parent
  #71
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Ivo,you ended up buying the one you demoed right?,,sounded really good on your stuff..
.
Oh yes, there was no other way than to buy it It sounds absolutely fabulous, big, sweet, intimate ... My dream vocal mic ... And yes, I think it sounds very much like U47 ... with few modern improvements ....
Old 9th April 2006 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
gainreduction's Avatar
 

http://www.nu47.com

One of the best vocal mics I've ever used, U47-ish but with it's own twist to the sound.
Old 9th April 2006 | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
mr.gefell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
http://www.nu47.com

One of the best vocal mics I've ever used, U47-ish but with it's own twist to the sound.

yup..yup...very slutty and expensive. nice.
Old 9th April 2006 | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
Wunder Audio

Great mic! EF14 tube. Sounds as good as the vintage ones I have put it against. The one I use has an original M7.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 98 views: 41679
Avatar for nst7
nst7 14th February 2014
replies: 67 views: 13243
Avatar for NathanEldred
NathanEldred 23rd February 2008
replies: 61 views: 10269
Avatar for Greg Curtis
Greg Curtis 25th August 2009
replies: 2704 views: 396767
Avatar for Diogo C
Diogo C 30th October 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump