The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
should i buy?? 1 x Revox A 700 / 1 x Revox A77 / Studer B 67 mk 2! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th July 2012
Motown legend

A-77s don't use any ICs and are really easy to modify. B-77s are a very different story. I used a C-37 every day at Motown and was blown away the the quality of the A-77 transport.
Old 19th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
A-77s don't use any ICs and are really easy to modify. B-77s are a very different story. I used a C-37 every day at Motown and was blown away the the quality of the A-77 transport.
interesting......
Old 31st January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvivid View Post
I just had some time to play around with my a77 last night and figured out the line input bypass mod, and since it doesn't seem to be publicly posted anywhere, I wanted to share it for any other a77 owners.

It's REALLY simple. And the end result is you're not even using those input amplifiers built into the a77 anymore! So more pure sound and no more clicking when you hit "0" on the tape, saturation is possible AND awesome on this machine!

On the back of the input level pots there's 4 pins each. a black wire goes to pins 1 and 4, pins 2 and 3 are red and orange (i forget which is which off the top of my head - doesnt matter). Solder the ground wire to either 1 or 4, and the hot lead to the same pin as the red wire (nothing needs to be disconnected from the pots - as a matter of fact everything should stay in case you do want to still use the regular inputs for any reason)

Now, with my board setup, the input was HOT! I was hitting 0 at almost no gain on the controls even with a -10db unbalanced output, and I did have a load happening on the board - lost most of my signal going to my master fader - my VUs dropped from 0 to around -20. A 10k resistor in line with the hot lead on each channel brought it back. I'm reading "0" on the VUs at around the 3 on the inputs of the tape machine now. At max gain the needle drops back a little on mine (almost looks what happens when you do bias adjustment). I don't think there's ever a situation when you would even begin to hit that threshold so it doesn't matter to me. Maybe a 22k would be a little more accurate, but no worries, i'm happy.

This machine can achieve BEAUTIFUL saturation - i just tested with 468 tape. Wow. I'm stunned how buttery and rich it is. Bypass those mic/line inputs pronto! You don't know what you're missing if you don't!

Nick
I want you to know that I just bought an A77, and used the above quote as a basis for the technician to modify the machine this way. He also went through and replaced all that needed to be replaced, put in a 15 ips motor, cleaned and calibrated it, and was all around an AWESOME person to work with.
Here's his website.
NeighborSent.com

He calibrated it for ATR tape.

I am working on a mixdown for a client, and mixed simultaneously to Hard Drive, and the Revox.
All I can say is HOLY F$%^$# SH$#&^$^ it sounds good, and quiet too, barely any noise, negligible really.
As an alternative to the Ampex 102, this is it.
The Hard Drive mixdown sounded nice as well, but it really wasn't even close in terms of the deep accuracy, added depth and width, and believability, that the mix to tape has. I think the almost surreal accuracy of the mix to tape is what is really still blowing my mind.

It was funny actually, as the just about 40 year old machine worked flawlessly all day , several Hard Drives weren't cooperating, I had to reboot my converters and computer a bunch of times etc, it was poetic somehow.

DP
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just had some time to play around with my a77 last night and figured out the line input bypass mod, and since it doesn't seem to be publicly posted anywhere, I wanted to share it for any other a77 owners.

It's REALLY simple. And the end result is you're not even using those input amplifiers built into the a77 anymore! So more pure sound and no more clicking when you hit "0" on the tape, saturation is possible AND awesome on this machine!

On the back of the input level pots there's 4 pins each. a black wire goes to pins 1 and 4, pins 2 and 3 are red and orange (i forget which is which off the top of my head - doesnt matter). Solder the ground wire to either 1 or 4, and the hot lead to the same pin as the red wire (nothing needs to be disconnected from the pots - as a matter of fact everything should stay in case you do want to still use the regular inputs for any reason)

Now, with my board setup, the input was HOT! I was hitting 0 at almost no gain on the controls even with a -10db unbalanced output, and I did have a load happening on the board - lost most of my signal going to my master fader - my VUs dropped from 0 to around -20. A 10k resistor in line with the hot lead on each channel brought it back. I'm reading "0" on the VUs at around the 3 on the inputs of the tape machine now. At max gain the needle drops back a little on mine (almost looks what happens when you do bias adjustment). I don't think there's ever a situation when you would even begin to hit that threshold so it doesn't matter to me. Maybe a 22k would be a little more accurate, but no worries, i'm happy.

This machine can achieve BEAUTIFUL saturation - i just tested with 468 tape. Wow. I'm stunned how buttery and rich it is. Bypass those mic/line inputs pronto! You don't know what you're missing if you don't!

Nick
Great...i've just bought one and i'll try this mod...thanks for sharing .
Any other things to know about the A77?
I've a question, the a77 seems to be set with the LPR35 tapes, can i use some SM911 without messing around the bias settings ?

Thanks
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well I know why i wanna buy a "sh-t" 2 track machine, cause yes i like the sound of older gear - depending on what people say about it, and no i dont use pro tools, ive never used pro tools once, and i never bothered with beat detective either. Real musicians can actually play and don't need any of that. Real drummers can play with feel, and real bands can play in a room and get a good take without anyone messing up - believe it or not in 2011 its possible!!

I've mixed bands to 2 track tape live from the board in the studio and to my ears have made more compelling music than most people have with digital rigs. I've used atr 102's, I've used otari mx5050's, now I wanna try something different.

That's why.
Take THAT ya PT protools pantywaist!
Old 25th July 2017
Hah I was just notified about my heated analog argument i made there several years ago... I sound like a pretentious d-bag...

Well, i work ITB now. Albeit, with Nebula and some sampled analog libraries.

Still don't use beat detective, but i do sync to tempo by hand.

Everyone grows and changes.

Nick
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hah I was just notified about my heated analog argument i made there several years ago... I sound like a pretentious d-bag...

Nick
Can I have your A77?
Old 26th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Can I have your A77?
Hell NO!
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nick
So are you saying you don't use it anymore because of laziness & hassle or because you think ITB/Nebula has achieved sonic paradigm of A77 ?
Old 27th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
So are you saying you don't use it anymore because of laziness & hassle or because you think ITB/Nebula has achieved sonic paradigm of A77 ?
Well there IS the A77 for nebula (freakoutaudio.tumblr.com has it) . And its really good, if i do say so myself

But right now I'm focusing on a different style, which required more modern pop production signatures - more digital clean. I have Alexb's SSL, Neve, and SP79 plugins - those are insanely good. I've never been able to use the original gear in those cases, but from what I've been told, they're damn close.

I also lost my studio a few years ago to a flood (landlord f---ked me - thats another story), so i had to set up a makeshift ITB studio in my apartment. Aside from a few minor room issues, (I've treated it decently, but it's not a proper control room. I am surprised how good the low end is at low volumes) I'm really happy working ITB now. I was kinda forced into a scenario that I ended up using to my advantage to keep doing what I love.

I would love to get a proper studio built again in my next "home". Nice control room / man cave, and nice little live room. Get some la-2a's, la-3a's, but truth be told, I'm kinda enjoying getting what i need ITB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search