The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lipinski L-629 Compressor (500 series)
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Head

Lipinski L-629 Compressor (500 series)

I'm in the market for a high end compressor and I found out abot the Lipinski compressor. Spec wise it seems very awesome.

Does anyone have any experience with this compressor?

Does it get close to the fairchild sound?

I didn't see hardly anything on it from the GS forum.

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Anybody? How does the tape emu sound?
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

There they are on the left of the rack #2 & #3 (I assume #1 is with Lipinski)

Not sure if I am the only one who owns these but I might be.

When I first got them I thought they were just ok. Took a couple weeks of using them to really get into their sound. Admittedly, I still have yet to try them on Drums. They are awesome on Group Vocals and Horns.

The Tape Emu is very subtle but does do a type of "warming" effect. I don't use them all the time but I do like them. Thing is there is a lot of competition in the $2500 a pair range. I personally haven't heard it against a Fairchild but it has a real vintage tone to it. You would have to play with them and demo them to see if they were right for you.
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Maniac

I took part in a development of this compressor.Suggested attack and release times, ratios.It's a great tool.Not so sure about the Fairchild similarity, but sounds great on about anything that goes thru it.It definitely takes time to familiarize with the way it operates, but once you get to know it you'll love it.

Jacek Gawlowski
JG Master Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albini View Post
I'm in the market for a high end compressor and I found out abot the Lipinski compressor. Spec wise it seems very awesome.

Does anyone have any experience with this compressor?

Does it get close to the fairchild sound?

I didn't see hardly anything on it from the GS forum.

Thanks!
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

is it transformer coupled? What is the method for compressing? VCA? Optical?

Thanks
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post

There they are on the left of the rack #2 & #3 (I assume #1 is with Lipinski)

Not sure if I am the only one who owns these but I might be.

When I first got them I thought they were just ok. Took a couple weeks of using them to really get into their sound. Admittedly, I still have yet to try them on Drums. They are awesome on Group Vocals and Horns.

The Tape Emu is very subtle but does do a type of "warming" effect. I don't use them all the time but I do like them. Thing is there is a lot of competition in the $2500 a pair range. I personally haven't heard it against a Fairchild but it has a real vintage tone to it. You would have to play with them and demo them to see if they were right for you.
wow! very slutty rack there with the elysia and the E27!!
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Bump this old thread. Any new opinions on the Lipinski unit?
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

I have a L629 on loan, and i'm wondering what the two internal jumpers are for.
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Nevermind... just found the manual
Old 4th January 2019
Does anyone know where i can purchase the Lipinski L-609 pre? Been looking everywhere but vintageking stopped carrying the line.
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

Truly unique compressor

I think the L-629 is a wonderful true vintage sounding compressor. It has a really nice distinct character. However it can be quite difficult to understand and get the feel of. I’m used to working with “threshold” and this hasn’t got one.

It’s so special in the way it reacts to adjustments that I have even suspected mine to be broken. However, I am too happy with it, to risk anything by trying to “fix” it :-)
I found all the knobs to be very dependent on each other in a very intricate and somewhat strange way. For example the output level can really affect the sound of the compressor, without being even close to peaking anywhere in the signal chain. Also, if your Ratio is quite low but you still feel the signal being too squashed, try decreasing the input or even the output signal. And off course increasing the attack time.

The manual specification says its distortion is less than 0.04%. I don’t know how they measure it but I surely can get lots of distortion from the output gain, if needed. However, my L-629 has the most pleasing sound of distortion I have ever heard on vocals. But its definitely not a clean compressor. It also takes some time to make it shine, in my opinion.

Sounds like a Fairchild?
I have used Fairchild only as software and I couldn’t hear the same sort of nice saturation as the L629 have, but if you listen to the Vocals on the Beatles White Album (for instance Lennon’s “Cry baby cry”), it sounds very much like the L-629 and I know they used Fairchild on the vocals. So I guess there is a similarity soundwise.

I have used L-629 only on lead vocals and though I have tried many compressors throughout the years, this is definitely my favourite one on retro rock/pop vocals. The tape simulation sounds really good. I often prefer it when subtle, when the ratio is 2.2 or below.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear