The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87 is cutting out periodically, what to do? Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

U87 is cutting out periodically, what to do?

Hey GS,

For some reason now, my U87 is cutting out, with no sound unless I clap in front of it or do a loud noise like shout in front of it.
What could this be caused by? How can I fix it?

Thanx

Marc
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Greetings...

It could be a variety of things, from the dc-dc convertor, to the fet resistor to many other things...with little information provided in your message it would be quite difficult to properly asses your issue.

Please send it to Neumann in Old Lyme CT. Or a trusted tech.
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

See if it cuts out when you breath into it. Mine had a problem with humidity.
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
See if it cuts out when you breath into it. Mine had a problem with humidity.
What did you do to fix it?

Thanx
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
What did you do to fix it?

Thanx
Send it to your local Sennheiser main agent to have the capsule cleaned.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear
U87 are suseptable to humidity and spit. if I strong singer gets right on the mic and spits a little the pit hitting the diaphragm can weigh down capsule membrane so that it shorts out.

This usually lasts maybe 20 seconds then the caspsule returns to normal.

No I'm not making this up.
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

Steffmo's got it right -- put your face close to it and give it a good PLosive... doesn't have to that messy either... and it'll go to sleep for half a minute or so. Easiest solution is to put a pop filter in front of it.
WW
Old 14th July 2011
Interestingly I was having a similar problem in a vocal session last night.
U87 - Juggernaut - BAC500 - DAW.

Recording went along fine. Stopped, started up again, audio cuts out or is very low level, nothing else changed.

Futzed around, clapped hands a few times, then audio again.

I thought it might be the pre or the comp, but looks like it could be the 87. Aside from sending it out, is there any risk in using a light treatment of compressed air on the capsule to clean it? Don't kill me, just asking!
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

I had the same issue when a rapper spit in my u87 i had to have the capsule cleaned
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

U87's use a standard Switchcraft Male XLR connector get a new connector and take it apart and replace the old 3 pin connector. $4.00 and 10 minutes for the fix.
Old 14th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
Aside from sending it out, is there any risk in using a light treatment of compressed air on the capsule to clean it? Don't kill me, just asking!
Nevermind! I just read some posts in prosoundweb about cleaning U87's. Sounds like its best left to the pros...
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

I live in Arizona, is there a shop out here that specializes in this or do I have to send it to catmando?

Thanks Guys for the input...
Old 14th July 2011
Here for the gear

Really guys? You suggest/allow people to breath and spit into a $3000 mic? #1 rule of mic care- don't expose it to humidity and moisture. And don't tell me a popper stopper "ruins the tone"....
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear
Eveaudio....

With all due respect, when Sly Stone wants to get on the mic in the middle of the vocal, you don't stop the take.....

And that happens to be how I learned about U87s and spit.

I'm sure all of these folks aren't going out of their way to have people spit into an 87.....but sometimes in recording stuff just happens.
Old 15th July 2011
Gear Guru

Could be a number of things but try this, take the mic apart, get a eraser and clean the contact pins of the head capsule very good. I have had that happen a few times, they get nasty over the years.

That does not work try using a pop filter, do not sing directly into a u87 ever, just not good for the mic.

One of my u87s does not like to be plugged up in the control room, makes all kinds of strange noise, remove it from the control room......perfect.
Old 15th July 2011
Gear Nut

Oh man!
I have the same exact problem.
It dies out and then if I clap and talk real loud does my u87 come back to life.
It seems more like a connection issue.
It would be great if it was an at home fix. But most likely I'll end up sending it to them for the repair
Old 15th July 2011
Gear Maniac

...the issue of moisture, humidity and contaminants shorting the diaphragm or causing it to stick to the backplate is another common cause of intermittent signal (as the above posters clearly elucidated)....however I find that this normally manifests in a reverse fashion as the op. It normally requires a higher spl or plosive signal to cause diaphragm excursion thereby causing shorting....then one must either remove the bias voltage or sometimes it settles again on its own in a few moments...but at rest or upon small signal introduction it conducts normally....(his post seems to indicate that the mic starts off by not producing sound and the introduction of high spl's "fixes" said problem)...however it is entirely plausible the other way round...

It also could be loss of tension causing the diaphragm to be touching the backplate upon introduction of voltage via electrostatic attraction...or a dodgy solder connection, or contacts need cleaning, or fet or resistor problem etc...

A good sign of contaminant shorting is if the signal is low and you hear a popping or crackling sound... then 9 out of 10 its crap in the diaphragm and it needs to be sent for cleaning...nonetheless the closest thing to surefire is to send it in to Neumann.
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveaudio View Post
Really guys? You suggest/allow people to breath and spit into a $3000 mic? #1 rule of mic care- don't expose it to humidity and moisture. And don't tell me a popper stopper "ruins the tone"....
Do you really think i would just allow a rapper to spit into my 3000$ mic? Some times you cant even see what the artist is doing let alone if its some stupid habit they have that may cost you money. i of course had a pop filter in front of my Mic. he just decided to move it to the side and get up close and personal. which once i discovered he was the reason for my problem (which i had never encountered) he was put on a piece of crap Mic. so don't be so quick to speak on what you seem to think people suggest or allow. because people do things despite your directions and without you knowing. but should they, make them pay!
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

There could be a number of things that could be causing your problem, but it does not sound like the normal capsule humidity issue that most people have. If it's a humidity issue then the mic would work normally sometimes and then when it gets a loud sound or some breath on it the sound will cut out for a couple of seconds and then return to normal (until it gets another loud sound or someone's breath). In your case the mic ONLY works when it gets a loud sound so that is the opposite of what it would do if humidity was the problem. If it were me, I would send your U87 to Neumann Service in Old Lyme CT. Their phone is 860-434****90. They are not cheap, but they do good work and they have every spare part for a U87 in stock.
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AryehKunstler View Post
Oh man!
I have the same exact problem.
It dies out and then if I clap and talk real loud does my u87 come back to life.
It seems more like a connection issue.
It would be great if it was an at home fix. But most likely I'll end up sending it to them for the repair
Use a pop filter (a good one) or a foam windscreen and see if it still doing it, I have one u87 and a 103, it only does that on vocals, nothing else/
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Addict

I've had this problem intermittently and it usually happens with the same clients. One loves to get up as close as possible to the mic/pop filter (I have a metal pop filter) and his vocals have alot of plosive power. The other one is the kind of artist who has to take a sip of water between every take and will also get up on the mic. What has been said here about the spitting and liquid contact to the diaphragm makes alot of sense. I guess my next course of action (short of sending it to get cleaned) is to try a different pop filter as I'm thinking the metal one I currently have is allowing more moisture to get thru as opposed to something else.... very helpful thread. Thanks

Mudnoc
Old 6th March 2017
Here for the gear

Hello dears!! This is my first post here after many years of GS research. So, i want to start thanking all you Gslutz for lots of information that i have got here all these years.....Thank you very much!!!
So...any of you guys could get rid of the above u87 cutting off issues?? I got one with the same problem here
Best,
Danilo
Old 6th March 2017
Here for the gear

Hello dears!! This is my first post here after many years of GS research. So, i want to start thanking all you Gslutz for lots of information that i have got here all these years.....Thank you very much!!!
So...any of you guys could get rid of the above u87 cutting off issues?? I got one with the same problem here
Best,
Danilo
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydManiac View Post
Best,
Danilo
I'm not sure where you are, but I had my U87 fixed by Shannon Rhodes at Mic Rehab in Nashville.

Mine would work and then not. Sometimes I would take it apart and it would then work for a while. Now it works great.
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Guru

Dirt on the capsule captures moisture. Moisture shorts out the capsule = Breathe on it a few times and it shorts out and stops working until dried out.

Try to dry it out fully in a warm cupboard. If it still cuts out fast with vocals, have it cleaned.
Old 6th March 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for answer!! I'm in Brasil...taking it to Neumann's local service right now to see what they say...

Thanks again!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search