The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How hard do you push your vntg 1073/1066 etc? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Maniac

How hard do you push your vntg 1073/1066 etc?

Kind of a random ymmv question but here goes:

How hard, say with male rock vocals, are you guys pushing your vintage Neve units?

Just got set up on a new record and the vocal chain is 70's u87 -> 1066 -> dbx 160 2:1 with high threshold. I pushed the pre hotter than I usually do as an experiment and with the gain ramped and the output fader pot at less than 12 o'clock I'm getting an extremely ballsy sound with a tint of distortion, but it sounds good to me. If I remember correctly the gain was at 60 or 65.

Does anyone else run thier pre this hot for lead vocals and or has anyone had experience that down the line (when mixing) this was too much to deal with tone wise? I figure this us a fairly common vocal chain so maybe someone can shed positive or negative light on this.

Obviously this is a preference thing and you got to do what is right for the track, but ven though it sounds good something in the back of my head is telling me to back it off.
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Maniac

I use a U87ai, which has a higher output than the older U87, at 20-30. I sometimes push it harder, but not a lot.

60 sounds way high to me, you may find later that you're not crazy about the distortion. Or maybe not.
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbill View Post
I use a U87ai, which has a higher output than the older U87, at 20-30. I sometimes push it harder, but not a lot.

60 sounds way high to me, you may find later that you're not crazy about the distortion. Or maybe not.
Thanks, that confirms kind of what I suspected. Gonna reign it in around 40 when I get back in the drivers seat methinks.
Old 12th July 2011
Lives for gear

Dude, don't be afraid of getting carried away with the emotion of the song.

Stinking thinking can sometimes kill an otherwise cool artistic effect.
Old 12th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abechap024 View Post

Abe knows what's up. Listen to the man. Print it the way you want it, don't worry about changing your mind so much. Sometimes it may bite you in the ass, but more likely I bet it provides your favorite part of the mix.
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abechap024 View Post

Agreed, however: the client may come back the next day and say "dude, why is my vocal so fuzzy?".
This has happened to me with the Neve when I got a bit carried away on the gain.
Not saying it couldn't be a cool effect though, that's why I did it in the first place!
Then it bit me in the a**.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head
I enjoy using my 1066 x2 marinair wired with 10k resistors across the outputs, gives me a sort of second gain stage
Old 24th January 2012
member no 666

The DBX-160 probably isn't helping the situation much, you might want to find a smoother compressor if you're going to push a 10xx module. Also, if your 10xx module is racked with an output attenuator - most of those add a bit of distortion as well so you might want to really look at how your chain is set up.

FWIW - something I found when using the Crane Song LTD. "HEDD-192" is that while I would often like what the "processing" did when I was using it, I found that I often thought it was a bit 'over the top' when I listened to the track the next day -- I suspect that might be what you're client is hearing.

I have a feeling that if you you back off a bit from the front end distortion you'll get the result you're looking for [I used to find a setting I liked with the HEDD, then I'd back off "one number" on each of the knobs things came out better the next day].

Best of luck with it.

Peace
Old 24th January 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

My go-to vocal chain is a U87ai into a BAE 1073MP, so not exactly what you have but still close. For a clean sound, I leave the output of the pre at full and adjust the gain for the right input level into my converters (gain will be rather low in the first 1/4 of the knob's range).
But if I start to push the gain into 12 o'clock direction (and pulling back the output of course), I get that nice creamy distortion going on. This works rather great for male rock vocals (not neccessarily for female vocals, because the added grit may not fit) and that type of distortion is mainly why I bought the unit and where it seperates itself from cheaper pres.

If I want to be on the safe side, I record rather clean (low gain) and then reamp the track through the 1073 again, pushing the gain to taste.
Old 24th January 2012
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
My go-to vocal chain is a U87ai into a BAE 1073MP, so not exactly what you have but still close. For a clean sound, I leave the output of the pre at full and adjust the gain for the right input level into my converters (gain will be rather low in the first 1/4 of the knob's range).
But if I start to push the gain into 12 o'clock direction (and pulling back the output of course), I get that nice creamy distortion going on. This works rather great for male rock vocals (not neccessarily for female vocals, because the added grit may not fit) and that type of distortion is mainly why I bought the unit and where it seperates itself from cheaper pres.

If I want to be on the safe side, I record rather clean (low gain) and then reamp the track through the 1073 again, pushing the gain to taste.
My Cous Justin Thomas has some BAE 1073 clones he uses with a Brauner VM1 and gets great slightly dirty rock vox out of the combo, I prefer great tube dirt, so I sticks to my RCA tube pre's for overdrive filthy heaven.
I will admit to having used an old 1066 as a fuzz box a bit in the past
but if its dirt from Transistors I have a big old Standard telephones and cables Germanium pre amp that has huge Western Electric audio transformers in and out, gets my vote for best sounding transistor dirt
available, spangley, bright, lively and very rich in self invented harmonics.
Is the old STC box.hehheh
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Not vintage but I'm rockin' vox through a 1073DPA. My input's at 40, output is -10. I'm with Fletcher; drive it till it's just distorting and back 1 click.

The DPA has peak lights that (I just recently discovered) actually light when the signal is 3db's from peaking. My settings have that blinking at the loudest phrases.

I'm runnin' this through a CL1B with NOS T-Funks and my chain is just love whether it's singing or rap.

Rich low end, sparkly top!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search