The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Burl Bomber vs Forssell Mada
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Unless you have heard something, conjecture as to what a piece of audio gear should sound like is purely academic.
Think of how many times the colour of a Neve has brought size to a vocal!
I haven't heard the Burl, those I know and trust rave about what it brings, of course they all have other converters that would fit more in the transparent category.
What I am trying to say is that I can find someone who would argue that any gear choice you have made should be more transparent, and that our job is to try to capture as close to the original performance as possible.
I can also find even classical recordist who will admit that often it's about musicality
So unless you heard it in action lets keep the theory in our heads.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
I had both for a week. Bought the Forssell.
Same here and bought the Burls...

To each his own. We all hear things differently. The bonus of the Metering, dual AES paths and stepped gain knob were a huge factor for me on choosing the Burls for my workflow. Both sound great no doubt.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Nut

Some people have such a dogmatic stance on AD conversion.

If a piece of gear colors or enhances my signal in a pleasing way on the way in, I'm okay with that.

Maybe pair up the B2 for AD and Forsell MDAC for DA
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

I've done just that. Symphony DAC--Burl B2 ADC--Mytek 192 or Symphony DAC.
Old 16th September 2014
SEA
Lives for gear

What about the JCF "Latte"? How does it fair to the Burl B2 and the Forssell?
Old 21st June 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodwindy View Post
I've done just that. Symphony DAC--Burl B2 ADC--Mytek 192 or Symphony DAC.
Have you heard the Forssell DAC next to the Burl DAC?

Thanks!

SEA
Old 21st June 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Leloup View Post
I met another Forssell converters lover here in this forum and I'll check it out for sure before buying their brand new MADA 8 , ears are my only judge
I'd like to hear the MADA 8 next to the JCF DA8-V.
Old 22nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
Have you heard the Forssell DAC next to the Burl DAC?

Thanks!

SEA
No
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
all i know is that i would never ever buy an AD converter that advertises a coloured sound. at the given price tag.... i mean if being able to afford that burl one probable has a ton of tube preamps, comps etc....so why would anyone with that kind of budged need a transistor "enhancement" sound. id much rather strap a pair of v72s across my mix buss when colour is needed.
why in the world would i want a "coloured" converter?i just dont get the concept. its almost absurd to me. áctually, its a complete marvel to me....but i guess some people will actually buy it. and btw...why in the world would i spend this kind of cash with a company thats complettely new and has not reputation? no thanks. i have seen to many gearslutz hypes ending up in the classifieds.
Well, at least you're open minded and not condescending.
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
How it *sounds* is not what matters in a converter. Converters should be transparent and sound exactly like the source material you're putting into them. How else would you know what your tracks actually sound lile? I'm sure it sounds great, it's got input transformers which artificially color the sound, as you yourself admit. Why do you think folks use so much analog outboard when working with digital? Adding artificial color sounds good (essentially modifying the signal with EQ, harmonics and distortion). We're concerned with how *accurate* it is. That's the test of a great converter.
You must mean this is what matters to you, and what meets your criteria as a great converter. That may or may not be necessarily what the test of a great converter is to everyone...wouldn't you agree?
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayneallen View Post
You must mean this is what matters to you, and what meets your criteria as a great converter. That may or may not be necessarily what the test of a great converter is to everyone...wouldn't you agree?
agree.
I always loved printing the atr 102 sound..same for burl AD here.
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayneallen View Post
Ok.
Old 5th July 2015
Lives for gear

Love the B2! I added the B32 and love the setup even more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search