The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lauten Oceanus, Peluso P-67, thoughts? Condenser Microphones
Old 7th July 2011
  #1
Lauten Oceanus, Peluso P-67, thoughts?

Looking at the slightly lower-priced tube LDC's, specifically ones voiced for a flatter, neutral tone. These two stand out to me, and I was wondering if anyone out there has had the opportunity to try them both, next to each other or under similar circumstances.

I'm not "In want of a 67 sound" so we don't have to go down that road, just looking for a nice tubed LDC with neutral response, yet maintaining clarity.

If you have any other ideas in the pricerange (>$1500-2000) shout em out. (Please don't say neutral and MA200 in the same sentence, though;-).

Thanks!
Old 7th July 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
Don't know the Peluso. The Oceanus rocks. It's not a gooey tube-y sound, just really nice and classy.
Old 8th July 2011
  #3
The ADK TC-67Au is a wonderful neutral-toned mic that I've used on many recordings. Here's a recording a friend of mine made with a TC-67 I sold him. He used it for both the acoustic guitar and the vocals:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...67_clip_01.mp3

You might also checkout the Beesneez Arabella or Telefunken AK47 MkII which I think both fall into the "not too bright , not too dark category".
Old 9th July 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
I was thinking about the Oceanus myself... seems a good all rounder at a good price. I like using AT4033's on everything though so WTH do I know hahaha.
Old 12th November 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
The ADK TC-67Au is a wonderful neutral-toned mic that I've used on many recordings. Here's a recording a friend of mine made with a TC-67 I sold him. He used it for both the acoustic guitar and the vocals:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...67_clip_01.mp3

You might also checkout the Beesneez Arabella or Telefunken AK47 MkII which I think both fall into the "not too bright , not too dark category".
Greg, I'm really starting to fall in love with this mic, based on clips I've heard. When we last spoke, I mentioned having heard a great audio clip, and it happened to be another one you posted (not this one). Gotta say, the TC-67AU is 2-2 at this point.

What are the stock tube and transformer?
Old 12th November 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Also, Greg, do you know what the vocal chain was for the recording you posted a link to? Wonderful sound, for certain.
Old 12th November 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
The older my Lauten Oceanus gets, the better it sounds. Put it in front of a nice pre and it really shines.


For the peluso, Not sure about that one. I did have the AA audio Version (Dave Thomas) who at the time was using some of parts sourced through Peluso. I may be wrong about that and Dave is welcome to correct me.

I have to say it's not a bad sound for the money. Still the Oceanus out shines a lot of mics...If you haven't done so yet...get one of each for a demo and see what you like best. Also be aware there is no customer service better than that provided by Brian at Lauten.


Hope that helps some
Old 13th November 2011
  #8
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Irrelevant testimonials aside... its not all that difficult to find both at one shop... have them sent to your studio and try them next to each other.

From there you can make an educated decision on which tool best suits your immediate sense of aesthetic and which tool will be best for your work.

Anything else is preety much a waste of your time [but it is fun to read the various pimps trying to hawk their wares posts].

Peace
Old 16th November 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Like the o/p, mulling a mid-price LDC. There seem to be a lot of me2's and me3's in the arena, not necessarily bad in any regard or audibly inferior, but not bringing something special to the table.

I am thinking maybe I should have Telefunken Copperhead on my list. (And not just because Fletcher has posted, I hasten to add).

As to voiceover's remark, I find it curious as a noob that mics should get better with age. Speakers take burn-in, as they're meant to be floppy when worked. OTOH mic diaphragms are meant to be stiff. Perhaps the ageing is to do with the electronics side?

Last edited by hyper.real; 16th November 2011 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Added 3rd para
Old 16th November 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Dunno who this guy is, but I sure like the sounds he gets with the Peluso 67 and germanium on this stuff-
Introducing Giulio Carmassi - HD - YouTube
Lizzy Loeb & Giulio Carmassi - "Stand Still" - YouTube
Old 17th November 2011
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Greg, I'm really starting to fall in love with this mic, based on clips I've heard. When we last spoke, I mentioned having heard a great audio clip, and it happened to be another one you posted (not this one). Gotta say, the TC-67AU is 2-2 at this point.

What are the stock tube and transformer?
Tube they currently use in the TC-Au and TT-Au mics:

ECC-803s (Super 12AX7) FIVE-STAR TUBE that has been certified Low-Noise / Low-Microphonics
Old 17th November 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Irrelevant testimonials aside... its not all that difficult to find both at one shop... have them sent to your studio and try them next to each other.

From there you can make an educated decision on which tool best suits your immediate sense of aesthetic and which tool will be best for your work.

Anything else is preety much a waste of your time [but it is fun to read the various pimps trying to hawk their wares posts].

Peace
right!
Old 18th November 2011
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Irrelevant testimonials aside... its not all that difficult to find both at one shop... have them sent to your studio and try them next to each other.

From there you can make an educated decision on which tool best suits your immediate sense of aesthetic and which tool will be best for your work.

Anything else is pretty much a waste of your time [but it is fun to read the various pimps trying to hawk their wares posts].

Peace
Seems like the forums would be pretty empty and useless if no one shared their experiences... At the very least, it can help in deciding what gear to bother testing out. Most folks don't have time to try everything themselves.
Old 8th December 2011
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Seems like the forums would be pretty empty and useless if no one shared their experiences... At the very least, it can help in deciding what gear to bother testing out. Most folks don't have time to try everything themselves.


Well said...
Old 8th December 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro2 View Post
Don't know the Peluso. The Oceanus rocks. It's not a gooey tube-y sound, just really nice and classy.
Agreed! The Oceanus is a phenomenal mic. It very much has it's own sound. It's full and rich, without being overly bright.
Old 9th December 2011
  #16
AB3
Lives for gear
 

That is absolutely true. A great guy with awesome customer service.



Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceactor View Post
. . .there is no customer service better than that provided by Brian at Lauten.


Hope that helps some
Old 9th December 2011
  #17
Gear Addict
 
a2dpapi's Avatar
 

Had a bigger name producer out of Virginia Beach use a p67 against the real thing. He chose the p67 on all applications.

I love sales guys reviews on gearslutz! Fully divorced from profit motive.
Old 9th December 2011
  #18
AB3
Lives for gear
 

Which post above are you referring to in this thread? It seems like the people I suspect are associated with selling gear have been responsible in their posts. I do not represent any manufacturer, but I have followed many posts on gearslutz. I think that overall the sellers have been responsible. And perhaps their great reason is that if they are not truthful about gear, there are tons of ways to make them look bad. Also, you may notice that many of them ask for people to try the various choices. What is wrong with that?

I am open to something you saw that I did not.

And by the way, the fact that some big name producer chose the P67 does not mean anything more than the other posts. Was their something wrong with the original 67? Who knows. I do think people should try these lesser expensive mics on a trial basis, and if they are great, more power to them. I love the Peluso P12 and certainly find it conceivable that the P67 can be a great mic. I just do not know. I do know the Oceanus is a great mic because I have tried two of them with great results. YMMV.

Best,
AB


Quote:
Originally Posted by a2dpapi View Post
Had a bigger name producer out of Virginia Beach use a p67 against the real thing. He chose the p67 on all applications.

I love sales guys reviews on gearslutz! Fully divorced from profit motive.
Old 9th December 2011
  #19
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Can I get in on the finger pointing here too? heh

I was just going to point you all over to our Clipalator which has both mics in there to listen to on drums, ac gtr, el gtr and male vocals.

The P67 we recorded using our "3 way" mod which gives you dark, normal and bright settings (changes the filtering on top).

We actually have the entire Lauten and Peluso lines featured in there.

I hope as an evil sales guy that this is OK.

War
Old 18th August 2012
  #20
Gear Nut
 

Does anyone have any experience with the sE Electronics Gemini II. How does it compare to the Oceanus?
Old 20th November 2012
  #21
Gear Head
 
captainfaggo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigga View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the sE Electronics Gemini II. How does it compare to the Oceanus?
I've compared the 2, seriously no comparison at all, the Oceanus destroys the Gemini in every way!
Old 7th July 2017
  #22
Gear Nut
 
NamelessUnknown's Avatar
For anyone that comes along years later, like me.

I think what the poster named fletcher is implying, is that many of these "reviews" are posted by people affiliated with the producer of the equipment. Maybe they are the designer/owner/sales guy with a 2nd, or 3rd account. Perhaps just an employee, friend, or family member. The point is, check the vernacular, who talks like that? Real people, or a marketing agent?

Then use your best judgement.

Anyway, Bump.

I'm especially interested in the Oceanus vs Gemini II vs TM1 comparisons. If someone has access to all three and wouldn't mind posting clips, I would be grateful... Because I do find them useful; and, like I can tell when someone is selling me, I can usually hear if someone has eq'd, compressed, or otherwise affected the sound of a recording.

It's 2017 now... what u got fo me slutz

My BS detector is turnt up.
Old 7th July 2017
  #23
Gear Guru
Actually Fletcher used to work for Mercenary and has extensive knowledge, (just an FYI). I think his point was really that a mic is so personal to what you're using it for, you really have to use it in context.
Old 9th July 2017
  #24
Gear Nut
 
NamelessUnknown's Avatar
Can we just get back to the gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Actually Fletcher used to work for Mercenary and has extensive knowledge, (just an FYI). I think his point was really that a mic is so personal to what you're using it for, you really have to use it in context.
I'm not interested in the life story of Mr. Fletcher (unless that would provide context to something he has to say about these MICROPHONES), no offense.

I am interested in reports or recordings of first hand user experience with these mics. I hope that any reports or recordings posted include an explanation of the posters circumstances (context), otherwise it would be worthless. Of course if your last mic came off your daughters Barbie sing along machine, any of these mics would probably seem pretty amazing. However, if you are a professional recording engineer (or an avid (the adjective not the brand) amateur with a fair amount of experience), your experiences can be very valuable to others. As long as they are honest and thorough. I thought that's what this forum was for.
Old 9th July 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 

I have and use 4 Peluso mics including the P67. The 67 is a great choice for about any critical audio capture: transparent clarity with tube warmth is hard to explain and even more diffacult to find. I have not tried the other mic in the OP's question however Fletcher is right on point: try them both out within your work flow and buy the one that best suits your situation.
Hugh
Old 9th July 2017
  #26
Gear Nut
 
NamelessUnknown's Avatar
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
I have and use 4 Peluso mics including the P67. The 67 is a great choice for about any critical audio capture: transparent clarity with tube warmth is hard to explain and even more diffacult to find. I have not tried the other mic in the OP's question however Fletcher is right on point: try them both out within your work flow and buy the one that best suits your situation.
Hugh
If that were an option it would already be done.
Old 9th July 2017
  #27
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
I'm not interested in the life story of Mr. Fletcher (unless that would provide context to something he has to say about these MICROPHONES), no offense.

I am interested in reports or recordings of first hand user experience with these mics. I hope that any reports or recordings posted include an explanation of the posters circumstances (context), otherwise it would be worthless. Of course if your last mic came off your daughters Barbie sing along machine, any of these mics would probably seem pretty amazing. However, if you are a professional recording engineer (or an avid (the adjective not the brand) amateur with a fair amount of experience), your experiences can be very valuable to others. As long as they are honest and thorough. I thought that's what this forum was for.
This forum is for people to help each other. The reason I brought up Fletcher's "life story" is context. He's a knowledgeable person and somewhat of a legend.

The point is you can hear a million different opinions from kids in their basements or hobbyists. The only true test of a mic is specifically what you need it for. That's professional advice. If you don't understand that you have a long way to go.......
Old 12th July 2017
  #28
Gear Nut
 
NamelessUnknown's Avatar
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
This forum is for people to help each other. The reason I brought up Fletcher's "life story" is context. He's a knowledgeable person and somewhat of a legend.

The point is you can hear a million different opinions from kids in their basements or hobbyists. The only true test of a mic is specifically what you need it for. That's professional advice. If you don't understand that you have a long way to go.......
I have read many postings with Fletcher's name on them. Though I do not know the man, he seems like the voice of reason on many threads that have gotten a little fluffy. As far as legend talk goes, I prefer to wait for the subject to die so as not to inflate the ego beyond recognition.

Fletch Lives!

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you... just not interested in a thread devoted to how pointless these threads are. If that's not the epitome of irony, it is very certainly a waste of time.

I'm looking for a comparitave description of these microphones from first hand user experience. What you liked/disliked and why?

Have you used many microphones?

Have you found them to sound better or worse on various sources/situations?

Have the other people in the booth agreed with you?

It is true that these things are subjective, and it would be best to hear the gear in question for yourself. However, that gets pretty expensive, and a few days with a mic is probably not going to give you the opportunity to really put it to the test. Furthermore, I would rather have the opinion of someone who has owned the equipment for a few years and gotten to know how it plays with others, before I drop a bunch of money on it.

Haven't you ever been surprised by a piece of equipment you already own?

It is that experience that I am looking for. If I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on a tool, I'd like to know it's going to do what I need it to do. Or at least have some idea of what others have been able to get out of it.

If you care to help, please do.

If not, no worries.

Fletch Lives was a terrible movie by the way.
Old 12th July 2017
  #29
Gear Nut
 
NamelessUnknown's Avatar
On a side note...

I read "Fletcher's last post" (I don't know that it was actually his "last post", but it was basically his life story in a nut). I will say:
I appreciate the story. Not knowing him, I will tentatively respect him a lot.

Ardis,
Figuratively he is dead, so call him a legend if you believe it is true.

Fletcher,
If your reading, with all due respect. In my life I have learned...
There has always been **** music.
There have always been **** products.
Fake people, have always existed.
Pretty much the only thing that ever really changes in this world is our understanding of things.
And few people will ever care about you more than you... even a little bit, and rarely ahead of their self.

Respectfully and Sincerely,

Steve
Old 12th July 2017
  #30
Gear Guru
Good lord guys, Fletcher gave great advice on here (and still is very much alive). HE was making the point, to try a mic in context. Any transducer really needs to be heard in context. Hey by all means go buy a mic that won't work in your room or on your voice..... Or better yet buy a 47 that will work on anything......
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump