The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Geithain Monitor Choice Studio Monitors
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

thanks for all the advice.

Highest point of console is 44.5 inches. does the entire monitor need to be above the console or just the speaker cone?

There is a PDF for the 944k stand on the Geithain website
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
thanks for all the advice.

Highest point of console is 44.5 inches. does the entire monitor need to be above the console or just the speaker cone?

There is a PDF for the 944k stand on the Geithain website
Ideally you need to get the tweeter at ear height.

The RL944K have a cardioid response in he lower register (unlike most monitors) and do not throw out bass frequencies to the rear, so they can sit much better with a rear wall or corner.

And I would say the loudspeaker driver, rather than the complete monitor if that makes positioning better.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Ideally you need to get the tweeter at ear height....
Would that be just from conventional wisdom (as we've always been taught), or from Geithain? Because that would have been what I would have done with the ATC, but the manufacturer has a different recommendation.
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
Would that be just from conventional wisdom (as we've always been taught), or from Geithain? Because that would have been what I would have done with the ATC, but the manufacturer has a different recommendation.
Conventional wisdom - if you want to be absolutely certain you would have to ask Geithain themselves (I know of a couple of manufacturers who say the top of the monitor, rather than the tweeter).
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
In my opinion the Geithains lacks deep bass regarding its size and the bass is not very tight a all. Nor they aren´t very fast, detailled loudspeakers....
I was a huge fan for several years. Now I think there are better ones on the market. May have a look at Strauss or Kirsch (or if you want active ones, you may check out PSI215...).
I think I get what you are saying about the bass transients. Exactly my thought after about a year of usage. I can live with the bass. but mid range is not as detailed as some of the other competitors imo.

Aren't Strauss or Kirsch much more expensive than Geithains? I have been thinking about switching to ATCs.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nc0 View Post
Aren't Strauss or Kirsch much more expensive than Geithains?
Good LS are never very cheap (nor they have to be very expensive).
Strauss and Kirsch are passive, so you have to invest in a good amp too.
For example:
The Kirsch Audio SQ6 goes down to 38Hz. A similar product from Geithain regarding size etc. is the RL940 (40Hz).
The Kirsch is around 3500,- a pair + 800,- (Kirsch-Amp) = 4300,-
The RL940 is around 5358,-
The smallest Strauss is around 5000,- + Amp.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
.... but mid range is not as detailed as some of the other competitors imo.
... I have been thinking about switching to ATCs.
I've moved from a large room with floor standing Dunlavys and Cello amplification to a small den music space. (I have no illusions as to it being a 'studio'). After reading a lot of user comments I picked the ATC SCM 25A in part due to the comments about the detail in the mids. my budget was $10,000 or less.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I´ve listen to RL903, Strauss and Kirsch in the same room. The difference in quality was surprisingly large regarding details, impulses and spatial representation.
Could you please give us a more detailed comparison between them? Would like to hear your opinion. thx.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you please give us a more detailed comparison between them? Would like to hear your opinion. thx.
My english is not the best, so it´s always a little tiring for me to post...
In this situation we´ve only listen to the geithains (RL903) only a few moments. No one had the desire to listen longer to them. To me they sounded without accurate details in the mids and spongy and slow in bass. So it was mainly a comparison between Kirsch SQ5 & SQ6 and Strauss SE-MF-1 and SE-NF-3.
With the right amp all of them where stunning. You´re able to listen very deep into the material with all the details you never know they really exists... . Very up front with very good room response.
The "Tiefenstaffelung" was extremely accurate. Something I had never heard with any LS (Focal SM11, PSI215; Geithain, Genelec8260 for example). In comparison they´re all sounding flat and slow...

Kirsch is my favourite, cause of it very accurate bass response. No problems with one-note-bass at all and very precise overtones... (And they are cheaper than strauss). Especially for classical music it´s a revelation to work with them... But you´ve to work hard to satisfied yourself...
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Looks like I'm going to go for the Gethain 933K. Now to decide on the veneer type that best matches the Zebra wood on my console and try to work out best height for the stands

I'm not going to be swayed by the only bad review of Geithains I've ever heard in all my months of research.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Looks like I'm going to go for the Gethain 933K. Now to decide on the veneer type that best matches the Zebra wood on my console and try to work out best height for the stands

I'm not going to be swayed by the only bad review of Geithains I've ever heard in all my months of research.
I'm going to get my RL906D in "Birdseye Maple"

This is the 933 in the same finish:-
Attached Thumbnails
Geithain Monitor Choice-933k.jpg  
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like I'm going to go for the Gethain 933K....
For what it is worth: are the raves you read relating to this particular model? Might be worth checking out. Every model by every manufacturer is not always a winner. (And I'm not disparaging the 933k, just suggesting that you make sure before you buy. Every Chevy is not a Corvette.)
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one should, especially not depending what is written in a forum. All that matters is your own experience.
Old 3rd March 2012
PSR
Gear interested

Quote:
Really appreciate that info John.

I only just noticed that Geithain give a recommended listening distance for each model of their monitors. Since I'll be 1.5 meters from each speaker at the listening position the 944K seems to make sense.

Now to decide on the height of the stands. 51.6, 56.1, 61.7 or 69.9 inches. If anyone can help with the Math, my ears will be 52 inches off the ground
Hey Maestro

Just curious where you found the info on recommended listening distance, I could not find it on Geithain's web page? Geithan is at the top of my list for speakers to demo for my next room and I'm trying to find out which of their speakers would work best in my room. I am looking at the 901, 922 and 933.

Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one should, especially not depending what is written in a forum. All that matters is your own experience.
Esp. it really depends on the room and the way each one of us hears stuff. It is not about how great it sounds, but how it makes you to work... and what the results are.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSR View Post
I am looking at the 901, 922 and 933.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Products

Hearing distance...
Yup.

901 = 2 - 4m
922 = 1.5 - 3m
933 = 2 - 3m

Recommended.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Esp. it really depends on the room and the way each one of us hears stuff. It is not about how great it sounds, but how it makes you to work... and what the results are.
Yes - good monitors should never sound "great", they should be an accurate reflection of the recording so you can make the correct mixing and mastering decisions.
Old 3rd March 2012
PSR
Gear interested

Quote:
Yup.

901 = 2 - 4m
922 = 1.5 - 3m
933 = 2 - 3m

Recommended.
Wow... how could I miss that, I'm really getting old. Thanks a lot John and Matucha, appreciate it.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Geithain have kindly given me the option of using Zebrawood Veneer on my monitors to match the wood on my Console. What do you think? Great blend or a bit much?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...ermonside2.jpg

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...wunderbar1.jpg
If the colour match is good, I think it will look great.

You may have to take a sample to Geithain to get the best match, though; or see if they can send you some samples to match to the console.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hi PSR. Glad someone chimed in with that info for you. According to Geithain the only difference between 933 & 944 is lower bass & SPL. For my listening distance I should be getting the 944 but from general comments I'm drawn to the 933. What's your story? :-)
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi PSR. Glad someone chimed in with that info for you. According to Geithain the only difference between 933 & 944 is lower bass & SPL. For my listening distance I should be getting the 944 but from general comments I'm drawn to the 933. What's your story? :-)
Both the 933 and 944 have the same quoted frequency response of 35Hz - 20kHz; so it looks as if the bass end is the same.

The ones on my own short-list (when I can get the money) is the 944; but more for the size and how it fits into my room, than anything else.
Old 4th March 2012
PSR
Gear interested

Quote:
I work with bass heavy music and have been working in a relatively small room for long time. Over the years I have heard a number of monitors, although not the Geithains, and my current favourites are the K&H O300's. Within a year I will hopefully move into a larger room and a friend conviced me that the Geithains would be perfect if I wanted a "similar" sound as the O300's but even deeper and more detailed (he was talking about the 901's). I'm now trying to find out if my upcoming room, which will be roughly 7m deep by 4,5m wide, could handle the 901's or 922's. I will certainly try one or both of them and see when I have the space ready but that will unfortunately be a while. Can't wait...
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserwerk View Post
Interesting! Zebrawood ist not on the official veneer list:
Furniermuster
If it looks good it may be in the future?
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserwerk View Post
Interesting! Zebrawood ist not on the official veneer list:
Furniermuster
But Geithain are a good company - they will try and accommodate your special veneer requirements if they can.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes - good monitors should never sound "great", they should be an accurate reflection of the recording so you can make the correct mixing and mastering decisions.
Not to be misunderstood; never haven spoken about "greater" sound, I'm always regarding accuracy.

A good monitor sounds great if the recording is great and vis versa. A monitor thats never sounds great, I would simply call a pain...
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Both the 933 and 944 have the same quoted frequency response of 35Hz - 20kHz; so it looks as if the bass end is the same.
No, bass is not the same. Look at "Acoustic Diagrams" ... RL 933K goes ~5Hz deeper/lower, than RL 944K.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
No, bass is not the same. Look at "Acoustic Diagrams" ... RL 933K goes ~5Hz deeper/lower, than RL 944K.
Interesting - the quoted frequency response is, indeed, the same - as I said.

However - the diagrams seem to show about 35Hz for the 933 and about 40Hz for the 944 - as you say.

But - looking at the diagrams closely - it seems the -3dB point is 34Hz for the 933 and 38Hz for the 944 - so it may be that Geithain quoted them both as 35Hz to allow for measurement variations between models.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search