The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mics/Setup on Pat Metheny's new album Dynamic Microphones
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Head

Mics/Setup on Pat Metheny's new album

Can anyone give me some insight on this "3" mic technique in this video link? What kind of mics? Why three not 2? Just curious as I really enjoy solo guitar. Cheers

YouTube - ‪Pat Metheny - That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be (Carly Simon)‬‏
Old 4th July 2011
Gear Addict

Well the one at the rear is clearly an RE20, though its a bit too dark for me to recognize the mics in the foreground, though I definitely see two stands.

As for why three mics, there could be a number of reasons. Remember, just because you see three, doesn't mean that you are hearing all three. Though when I use more then one mic on something like guitar, its because I want the characteristics of each mic or it's positioning to pickup an aspect of the sound. The RE20 at the rear could be getting the body and low end of the guitar, a LDC in the middle could be getting the pluck and attack of the strings, and the other mic in the middle (maybe an SM 57?) could be getting the overtone or percussive-ness of the sound.
Old 5th July 2011
Here for the gear

There are more than 3 mics happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
Can anyone give me some insight on this "3" mic technique in this video link? What kind of mics? Why three not 2? Just curious as I really enjoy solo guitar. Cheers

YouTube - ‪Pat Metheny - That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be (Carly Simon)‬‏
If you look at the split mic cable coming from the microphone at the neck side of the guitar it is likely connect to a stereo (mid side) mic. The other two could be used for tonal variety or (more likely) a separate source to feed the lush FX. (ie. less bass strings to the reverb). Also, the guitar has some kind of additional internal piezo pickup or microphone (maybe for just the bass strings). Just guessing though.
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

the smaller mic is the neumann ksm 105. He uses that one for some time now…
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHickey View Post
Well the one at the rear is clearly an RE20, though its a bit too dark for me to recognize the mics in the foreground, though I definitely see two stands.
It might be one of the new RE-320's.. the dark color suggests that. I don't recall any of the older RE(PL)-20's being dark.. but I could be wrong.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Am I wrong - is one of those mics 4" from the soundhole? The angles in the video are hard to pick up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search