The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is Massive Passive necessary?
Old 18th August 2003
Lives for gear

Is Massive Passive necessary?

I am still putting my studio together. I am close. Thanks for everyones help. I am not concerned with 2 buss mix down. I am going to leave it up to Mastering. I am look for a great eq for tracking. 1. do you think I need a expensive eq for tracking or should I use my plugins in the mix. 2. if so, I have hear great things about the massive passive. Are most people using the massive passive ofr mastering or are people buying it for tracking too. I am producing 99% synths and ssmplers. So please no rock info. What are DR. Dree or Snoop Dog or Crystal method tracking with to get great mixes. I am choosing between the massive passive and the chandler LTD-1 which is a lot cheaper and comes with a mic pre- I know it is mono but I can buy 2 for the price of the massive or I can track one side at a time if it stereo. I just want to get the best kicks and bass sounds to DAW as possible. thanks
Old 18th August 2003
Moderator emeritus

No, it isn't necessary. But it sure is fun...
Old 18th August 2003

It's necessary! It's necessary!
heh

Seriously though, people use it for everything: tracking, mixdown, mastering and even on live gigs. It's not just for mastering.

thethrillfactor posted a super post the other day about how he uses the Massive Passive for vocals. Maybe he will post here about how he uses it for synths. Or if he likes something else for that.
Old 18th August 2003
Lives for gear

Like the nice lady said, It is necessary. I find it so useful on so many things, including the mix buss, that it really is necessary to have more than one.
Old 18th August 2003
Lives for gear

Absolutely the most used piece in our place. really tough to make it sound bad. Used in tracking,(vox alot) and mixing....we don't do any "mastering" (we send out to those that know what they're doing)

I'd love to have another....but I think the GML will be next for flavor option.
(also hell bent on a Manely vari mu)
LOVE the MP. instant gratification for your eq'ing needs.

Like to get my hands on an IBIS as well.
Old 19th August 2003
Re: Is Massive Passive necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by passionmax
I am still putting my studio together. I am close. Thanks for everyones help. I am not concerned with 2 buss mix down. I am going to leave it up to Mastering. I am look for a great eq for tracking. 1. do you think I need a expensive eq for tracking or should I use my plugins in the mix. 2. if so, I have hear great things about the massive passive. Are most people using the massive passive ofr mastering or are people buying it for tracking too. I am producing 99% synths and ssmplers. So please no rock info. What are DR. Dree or Snoop Dog or Crystal method tracking with to get great mixes. I am choosing between the massive passive and the chandler LTD-1 which is a lot cheaper and comes with a mic pre- I know it is mono but I can buy 2 for the price of the massive or I can track one side at a time if it stereo. I just want to get the best kicks and bass sounds to DAW as possible. thanks
Dre tracks to 2 inch and mixes on an SSL.

******s last album sounds weird(you can really hear the difference between the SSL tracks and the D8B tracks).

I can ask the CM guys what they use if they are in town.

I use my MP EQ mostly for mixing. I would think if you are looking for something to create sounds with when tracking/producing, something really flexible with some color would be in order.

A pair of Neve 1081's or one of the many "Neve 1073 knockoffs" would be nice. The Amek CIB or 9098 work well for synths also.

I would personally track the kicks and bass sounds in mono not stereo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search