The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bock 251 Bock 507 or Wunder CM7-help appreciated? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Addict

Bock 251 Bock 507 or Wunder CM7-help appreciated?

I realize these are all different flavours, however I can only afford one at present. I would be going into my ULN-8 or my Portico II pres. I record a variety of male and female vocalists, guitar, horns, piano. No heavy rock, but singer-songwriter acoustic tunes, folk oriented stuff, string ensembles, and jazz. I have an AT4047, Rupert Neve SRN1, SM7B, and Apex 460. The Wunder, and Bock are not available in Vancouver to audition. In fact there is not one store in Canada that carries all 3 brands, however I could get them all from 2 different stores. I would appreciate hearing any experiences you may have with them, and of course will try and audition them.

Last edited by jayfield; 25th June 2011 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Addict

The good thing is that most everything I've read here on these mics is mostly positive. All would no doubt be useful. I'm gonna get one of them. Do any of these mics just seem to work on more sources than the others? Thanks
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

The Bock 151 and the Wunder CM7 were part of my own odyssey in searching for a holy grail microphone, and passed on both of them, despite the fact that they get raves from most people here. It's really very subjective. If you're looking for a versatile mic you might find that a U47 style mic, like the Wunder CM7, won't wear as many hats as other mics. However, Wunder makes an M49 "clone" that is extremely versatile and wonderful sounding. I ended up going with a Flea 47 and Flea 49, partly because I could get both mics for not much more than one of the others I was trying.

Good luck, and be sure you give any mic you're considering a thorough workout before you commit. Don't deal with anyone who doesn't understand the need for this.

-R
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Addict

Appreciate the info RK. Love the production on "bad for you". I'm seeing those Fleas in Canada for 7,500 scoots each. I could maybe buy one at present. WIll add them to my list. Thanks again
Old 25th June 2011
GMR
Lives for gear

I have a Soundelux 251 and a Wunder cm7gt M7 capsule. They both sound good, the CM7 is more mid forward while the 251 has more high end a bit with less mid forward sound.
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

I have the 251 and two Wunder CM7s. Both are truly world class mics capable of amazing recordings, but I've found the CM7s to be the most versatile. It's not surprising to me -- I've had the exact same experiences with the two classic mics both are meant to emulate.

Over the years I've learned which mics are most flattering to different sources. In the most general of terms, when mid or low end warmth is the goal, the CM7 goes up on the mic stand first. When detailed top end is front and center, we start with the 251. So, for airy female vocals, it's the 251. For warm male vocals or acoustic guitars, it's the CM7.

I find that rock music works best when it's warm with nice, detailed mid-range. Too much treble can quickly break the deal. In that regard, the CM7 is a great tool. The 251 has a tendency to accentuate highs - or at least present them in a VERY detailed way - and, me personally, I don't like too much of that in rock or folk recordings.

Sorry to say but there really are no rules - either mic could surprise you - but those are my over-generalized guidelines.
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Appreciate the info RK. Love the production on "bad for you". I'm seeing those Fleas in Canada for 7,500 scoots each. I could maybe buy one at present. WIll add them to my list. Thanks again
Sorry, but what is a "scoot"? You can buy the Fleas direct from the manufacturer in Slovakia.

-R
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

I bought a e47 from Bock and it sounds amazing. For my money it was totally worth it.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=RKrizman;6787156]Sorry, but what is a "scoot"? You can buy the Fleas direct from the manufacturer in Slovakia.

Yah, a "scoot" would be a dollar. Canadian slang. Love hearing what is workin for people. My goal is to find a mic as obviously some of you have, and not be wanting to trade, or change later. Your imnput is all helpful in my process. The Fleas look very cool. We have Canadian duty and taxes on all imported items. It's about 20% duty and 12 % taxes. Buying from the Slovenia factory may still be worth it. I'll check it out.
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, then that is almost a 100% markup for the Flea mic. I'd look to the Flea website. Send Ivan an email and ask him about the import tax thing. He might have a helpful suggestion.

-R
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Addict

Yah, I emailed Ivan for more info. Finished reading everything here about the Fleas. All good info and that article which was translated to english-- the shootout with the Gefell, ADK, Tele, etc. has me heavily leaning in the FLea territory. Still can't believe Steve's Pro Audio in Toronto has the F47 listed for 7,500 shmoots. (slang for scoots)
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Yah, I emailed Ivan for more info. Finished reading everything here about the Fleas. All good info and that article which was translated to english-- the shootout with the Gefell, ADK, Tele, etc. has me heavily leaning in the FLea territory. Still can't believe Steve's Pro Audio in Toronto has the F47 listed for 7,500 shmoots. (slang for scoots)
Actually, I always thought a "schmoot" was a unit of measurement derived from an M.I.T. fraternity which laid the very drunk Charlie Schmoot end over end one night to measure the length of the Harvard Bridge.

Scoots or schmoots, that's alotta moola.

-R
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Addict

Yes--"you are correct sir---huuuuh" I may be putting a deal together today on a F47. Just crunchin numbers right now. The info here, and you cats, have pointed me in one clear direction. And it's all going in a very nice price direction as well. Way less than a Tele or Wundah. Now, if I could just get that "Big Ass" lawn cut.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Addict

PS -- off topic, but my new K&H 0410's are sounding sweeter than ever today. I bet there excited to play some tracks with the sound of a new F47.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks to Roc Mixwell , famous poster here , I heard a file he sent to me concerning a male rock vocal , not mentioning what was the vocal chain

What I heard from his little audio example just blew me away ..... In a second I asked to him what was that combo for vocals : result Bock 507 into a Fearn VT2 preamp ... speechless , I am a HUGE fan of great mikes , my favorite I own is a splendid M 367 Neumann ( ac 701 ) kinda U 67 on steroids ;-)

I was looking for that U 47 flavor , I would love to hear and get a Vertigo 47
But I have to admit that this 507 is just a FANTASTIC MIKE which becomes a leader on my top wishlist , with all that clones already existing , I hesitated to choose which one I could get .... The 507 is the sound I WANT for vocals period ... not a U47 's clone but this kind of sound very appealing and so Universal of beauty , warm , detailed , with great sonic signature ,It's the one I would choose for Luis Miguel or Michael Bolton ... I could imagine this one on an Upright Bass for Jazz Sessions WOOOWWWWW

I have this incredible and great feeling that my search for the ONE MIC is over , I tasted that happiness in the past few years with my Phoenix audio DRS 2 as fav' preamp , or my IZ Radar as Firts choice's DAW

Best to you guys , I'am saving money to get this Bock
Old 27th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Let us know when you get it!

Would like to hear more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy Leloup View Post
Thanks to Roc Mixwell , famous poster here , I heard a file he sent to me concerning a male rock vocal , not mentioning what was the vocal chain

What I heard from his little audio example just blew me away ..... In a second I asked to him what was that combo for vocals : result Bock 507 into a Fearn VT2 preamp ... speechless , I am a HUGE fan of great mikes , my favorite I own is a splendid M 367 Neumann ( ac 701 ) kinda U 67 on steroids ;-)

I was looking for that U 47 flavor , I would love to hear and get a Vertigo 47
But I have to admit that this 507 is just a FANTASTIC MIKE which becomes a leader on my top wishlist , with all that clones already existing , I hesitated to choose which one I could get .... The 507 is the sound I WANT for vocals period ... not a U47 's clone but this kind of sound very appealing and so Universal of beauty , warm , detailed , with great sonic signature ,It's the one I would choose for Luis Miguel or Michael Bolton ... I could imagine this one on an Upright Bass for Jazz Sessions WOOOWWWWW

I have this incredible and great feeling that my search for the ONE MIC is over , I tasted that happiness in the past few years with my Phoenix audio DRS 2 as fav' preamp , or my IZ Radar as Firts choice's DAW

Best to you guys , I'am saving money to get this Bock
Old 9th July 2011
Gear Addict

Must thank Rick K. for pointing me in the direction of the Flea 47. Shmooth as buttah. Incredibly warm low end, no sibilence, just seems fat all over. Been using it on tracks all day. This is a keeper for sure. The 10 yr warranty is a bonus. Very happy Canuck!
Old 9th July 2011
Gear Addict
No experience with the 507, we have the bock 251 and the cm7 at the studio and for what we do, in our room. The cm7 is a more valuable mic. Though it has had some modifications done to it.
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Nut

Bump on an old thread. No CM7 experience (sorry)... but here's a recording I did with the Bock 507 through a BAE 1084 (no eq used on the way in) on a male vocal.

Neartown Church
Old 14th February 2013
GMR
Lives for gear

Couldn't keep them both cm7 GT and e251, I kept the E251 !!
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrobins View Post
Bump on an old thread. No CM7 experience (sorry)... but here's a recording I did with the Bock 507 through a BAE 1084 (no eq used on the way in) on a male vocal.

Neartown Church
Great detail in that vocal!
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Addict

Love the mic sound, the tune and the production. Seems you have found an extremely special mike!
Old 14th February 2013
Here for the gear

I have hours with all of them. . I am saving up for the Bock 507. It is phenomenal !
The detail and nuances that it highlights make vocals that I record a pure joy to listen to. . ..
my .02 ç
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Neartown Church
Nice tune, well put together. However, I have to be the dissenting voice on the vocal sound. Did you eq later? To my ears it too bright and pointed in a way that you might associate with cheap overly-bright Chinese mics. I know that's kind of a fashionable sound these days, but it makes my gums hurt.

Could you post a piece of the dry, unprocessed vocal?

-R
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Neartown Church
Great song, mic and voice are so complimentary...love the message. Thanks for sharing.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Nice tune, well put together. However, I have to be the dissenting voice on the vocal sound. Did you eq later? To my ears it too bright and pointed in a way that you might associate with cheap overly-bright Chinese mics. I know that's kind of a fashionable sound these days, but it makes my gums hurt.

Could you post a piece of the dry, unprocessed vocal?

-R
I agree. The 507 is a very bright mic, but very good, if you want that sound, which is very different from the cheap chinese distorted bright, but still bright.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

I would say it is a full range mic. The low end of the 507 is amazing. Very few mics can do what the 507 does. I used it for the Bock Audio documentary in the interviews and this microphone can play with the room like not many other mics! Nothing to do with a bright cheap Chinese product at all.
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

Well I'm thinking the vocal in that track must have been hyped in some way, which is why it would be more meaningful to just hear the naked track.

Forget the Chinese mic comparison--I know that's using the "nuclear option" and is disrespectful of David's work. However, I still think it's bright and sizzly in an unappealing way. I think of Bock mics, at least the ones I've used as being smoother in the highs and not so piercing.

-R
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

I have two Bock 507's.

They do not sound so treble peaky as the vocal track on the thread.

Perhaps the whole track was mid scooped in the EQ on mastering to a degree that brings the vocal out like that. Just a guess and I am probably wrong for there are a myriad of potential reasons.

I do agree that the high end might be a little overboard on the track... still... Great sounding track. Very clean, clear and present.

I would never talk anyone out of getting a 507, that mic is great. The Bock 251 is also a great mic. So is the Telefunken USA 251.

Also, the Neumann M49. I see them going sometimes for under $8k. If you can muster a good one at that price it is a deal.

If you have any of the mics I listed and things are not sounding right... its probably not the mic. Unless the mic is not functioning right.
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Maniac

the 507 is a really cool, really special mic! I know you mentioned not much hard rock, but it can do "anger" like little else if you want. Plus the great bottom and advantages others have mentioned.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search