The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what's so bad about Avalon 737 compressor? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

This is just my personal opinion so plz take it for what it is, but I honestly believe that if the Avalon 737 didn't have it's blingy cosmetic look but was instead a plain gray or black panaled unit without the blingy layout, knobs , meters etc... hardly anyone would ever think to use it based upon it's sound alone and it would have never in a million years been some kind of big seller. The old sought after moduler Avalon units had a completely different topology than the VT series units to the point that in some ways they can be considered somewhat polar opposites or at the very least they are in a different sonic universe. Those old Avalon units sound damn good!
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
This is just my personal opinion so plz take it for what it is, but I honestly believe that if the Avalon 737 didn't have it's blingy cosmetic look but was instead a plain gray or black panaled unit without the blingy layout, knobs , meters etc... hardly anyone would ever think to use it based upon it's sound alone and it would have never in a million years been some kind of big seller.
To each their own taste and I respect yours but...
This is what I don't understand. To me they look just Ok, which means their look doesn't suck but not breathtaking or OOh AAh worthy. They look kinda like a 70s stereo, A good Sansui or Marantz reciever. However It seems to me that "THE LOOK" would be more akin to the Shadow Hills or Retro instruments products which look very retro and very cool. The Focusrite Red series also had some great cases, right down to the "F" holes as vents and the curved sides.

Seems to me that people dumb enough to go for equipment based on how they look would gravitate towards these devices more than the Avalon. This is in no way, a critique on the quality of these brands, but if I were going by look alone, these would be the ones I would go for.
Which makes me go hmmm? when people on this board have said that about the look being the main factor.
Do the Avalons really look that fantastic? The square meter housing and all silver faceplate doesn't do much for me in the cosmetic dept. I do like the knobs though.

For the 737 to have bling, they would have to have blue backlit plexiglass knobs and a couple of Joystick style switiches, maybe a bunch of leds that zip around in sequence to the pulse of the input. To me, silver knobs is as much bling as what's on most gear.
Old 19th April 2013
Here for the gear

Count me in as a 737 lover, at least for its pre. I haven't used it for the comp much, but only because I haven't yet taken the time to seriously get to know it. So I'll withhold any conclusion on the comp until I give it some fair attention and effort. We especially like the 737 pre on DI bass and vox. Paired with a TLM 103, I really like to hear how the warm tubes add a bit of gritty sparkle and upper harmonics to the voice, particularly on the high end where the TLM 103 let's it all pass through. If the source is too bright (e.g. some brighter female voices), we swap out for a warmer mic with some high end roll-off, say AT 4047, and the 737 pre still sounds great. With the right mic pairing for the source, I think the 737 pre is magical. Of course I'm sure I'd love many other pre's, too, if I had the opportunity to audition all of them.
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthi Galore View Post
Count me in as a 737 lover, at least for its pre.
Besides other applications the Avalon 737 is excellent as DI bass. Coupled with an Avalon U5 is the combination that best results have ever given to me as bass DI.

If anyone is interested in checking how a MusicMan StingRay5 sounds throug an Avalon U5 +737, click on my signature and listen to the song titled The Banker in the 1973 album. All but two songs on this album have been recorded with U5+737 and different basses (Fender Jazz Bass, Ibanez Gary Willis, Fender Precission Bass, ...)
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear
UGH!

So many people trying to justify a bad purchase rather than just admitting they were duped

This thing would be acceptable at $500, it used to sell new for up to $3000 (If memory serves) used, you can get one for a grand or less

If you're new, don't fall for this, it won't give you what you want
Old 4th November 2018
Gear Addict

I'm still using my Avalon... so good on DI bass and tracking bvox.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have a 737 and I think it’s great. I have the baby face mod so the compressor is fine for tracking. It’s not a colorful compressor or anything but for tracking it’s really all you’ll need.
The EQ is really good, and the preamp is neutral.
A lot of the times I run a bae 1073 into the Avalon to use its compressor and eq. It’s also really good on bass. For 1300/1500 used it’s not a bad buy for a channel strip.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

After many years I decided to get one (again), this time the black model - no idea if it is identical to the original or if it is the babyface modded....
Anyways, I did a lot (and I mean a LOT) of comparisons to my favourite tracking compressors....trying to find a setting that makes sense. And to my surprise, I found it. Trouble is, it needs to have the ratio set to one exact position - one millimeter more and it is too touchy, one millimeter less and it is not effective enough. It is around the middle of the "2" marking. This setting actually gives me some useful and effective levelling while not being too much, it actually seems to not compress more than a couple of dBs when the source gets unexpectedly loud. So, I still regard the 737´s comp section as a potential minefield, there are about 999 ways to set it up doing no good and 1 way to set it right. And I still think my LA2A and LA3A do a better job when more than a couple of dBs of GR are needed. But I have to say I really enjoyed the 737 for the past months on vocals and spoken voice a lot. The pre sounded wonderfully expensive, the lowcut is not as high as most fixed designs, the comp finally did a nice light job and the EQ sounds fantastic. The DI is stellar as well. No more 737 bashing from my side, but an LA design is still much easier to handle, especially for situations where there is no time for experimentation and optimization.
Old 4th November 2018
alot of people are going over the top with hyperbole.

the 737 has been used on 1000s of professional recordings and 100s of bonafide hits

so trash it may be... but its track record contradicts that

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search