The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Calrec compressors and gear in general...
Old 28th August 2002
Lives for gear

Calrec compressors and gear in general...

OK... so u got neve at the top of the heap...

How do the Calrec's generally compare?

I have heard great things about their PQ series preamps being in very mucht he same ballpark as Neve as they were often direct ripp offs built for broadcast.

how do their compressors fair?

I have my eye on some dl 1656 compressors that seem to be ratehr nice.... or as Vintage kings calle them.... 'mix between Al smart c2 and neve 33264 both of which i use and love....

Any reports on these or any other calrec gear in general most welcome!!

Old 28th August 2002
Lives for gear

Wiggy . . . I have 2 Calrec 1161 eq /pres. I find the pre is comparable to a 1072 (a bit of a different sound) but the eq is damn near the same as my neves. Smooth and highly usable. Calrec gear is sleeper gear im my view because alot of people don't know about it, but it is REALLY good and the prices are going up as people catch on.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

I used to have a pair of Brent Averill PQ 1061 and I loved them.

They are very similar to Neve but as they are not as well known, they offer a way better value for the money.

As far as i know, Calrec was founded by some former Neve engineers who left the company by the same time Ruppert Neve "left" to start Calrec and to keep the former Neve standards.
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

I have been told that there's a mod for increased headroom on the modules that
brings them closer to the 1073 sound.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Dj Wiggy,
I´ve worked with the "new" 3200 channel strip and like and disslike it. The pre is pretty good, lots of lowend (maybe to much for my taste) smooth mids & highs. Very attacky if you know what I mean.
The EQ totally suck! harsch, very tight Q´s (broadcast).....crap
The compressor is inaudiable. Very smooth. You can´t really hear it working. Great for trakking vocals.

I hear loads of good words for the older calrecs, maybe you as a "Neve Slut" will like them better.....

/Later Dude
Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

Hi Neve.... (u know i cant really call u by ur name!)

I too mainterested in the RQP 3200. I am thinking that this may be a goer for my new rig im putting together. So u dig the compressor and preamps but not the EQ?... is the Eq good for cutting?

I have a freidn who loves the calrec comp and swears by it... and the RQPs i have in mind are VERY cheap for some reason... so im thingin of possibly getting 2 of them and maybe using them for my mixbuss, and for tracking vocals, accoustic etc..

Could you use the comp on drums to get them punchy and vibey?

pls let us know..

Cheers

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Maniac

The 3200 is pretty expensive here in Sweden, I think USD3000/unit. I don´t know if their worth that?
But the eq works fine for cutting, the Q´s very narrow. (broadcast???).
They got a dual stereocompressor 6400 aswell. Maybe worth checking out. The compressor is defenetly usable.

/Later alligator
Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

interesting. . . u like Calrec, but don't like Neve
Old 19th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
interesting. . . u like Calrec, but don't like Neve
Ofcourse I love Neve! Pre´s and compress. However, I´m not very fond of the 1073,1081, 33114 EQ´s.....
Old 24th October 2002
member no 666

FWIW, I've always found Calrec modules to give a very interesting tone/texture to a recording. They very often work very nicely when used in conjunction with other high quality hardware.

Best of luck with your search.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search