The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Could the New Neve Buss Compressor replace (if anything)
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy7 View Post
I just got my RND MBPII today. Serial #2 bitches...er, I mean slutz!!!! HAHAHA!!

Check out some slutty pics too

I will post some audio by Monday
That thing is beautiful.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Really nice!
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I just got my RND MBPII today. Serial #2 bitches...er, I mean slutz!!!! HAHAHA!!

Check out some slutty pics too

I will post some audio by Monday

You know you suck right now, Vk promised me number 2 lol HaHa. They emailed me today so I should have mine soon. Rock on, you have good taste! Hope the brickwall limiter rocks because It's replacing my pendulum PL2.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Sound Samples

Ok, here are 3 sound clips after 1 day with RND Master Buss Processor

the B4 MBP is the clip with no processing

Drum Bounce 1 is the clip with just the sound field editor and silk circuit, no makeup gain and no reduction etc.

Drum Bounce 2 has make up gain and about 2-4 Db reduction depending on the section. Enjoy and give your thoughts

see this thread My RND Master Buss Processor Audio Diary
Attached Files

B4 MBP Drum Bounce-04.wav (6.82 MB, 1789 views)

Drum Bounce_01-01.wav (6.87 MB, 1572 views)

Drum Bounce_02.wav (6.82 MB, 1645 views)

Last edited by jimmyboy7; 6th November 2011 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: samples
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiwoman View Post
You know you suck right now, Vk promised me number 2 lol HaHa. They emailed me today so I should have mine soon. Rock on, you have good taste! Hope the brickwall limiter rocks because It's replacing my pendulum PL2.
LOL, yea, well I did call you guys bitches, so I deserve some sheautt

You will love it!!! Looking forward to hearing what you and others do with the unit
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

More Clips

Ok, here is a whole song dry, then after running it through the RND MBP.
I know theset first attempts may not the greatest, but I would welcome my fellow stulz thoughts, feedback and advice as I get my feet wet with this great piece of gear heh

Listen, and share your thoughts see this thread My RND Master Buss Processor Audio Diary
Old 31st October 2011
Gear Nut

How can you tell how much gain reduction is being applied by both the limiter and compressor independently? Do you adjust the GR for the comp and then assume that any additional GR below that amount is being done by the limiter?

Still need an eq on the master bus? Have you found that SC eq give you enough control to make this unnecessary?

Thanks!!!
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb Media View Post
How can you tell how much gain reduction is being applied by both the limiter and compressor independently? Do you adjust the GR for the comp and then assume that any additional GR below that amount is being done by the limiter?

Still need an eq on the master bus? Have you found that SC eq give you enough control to make this unnecessary?

Thanks!!!
That's a good question , I did figure that since the limiter was set at plus 18 anything up there would be the result of make up gain applied after compression. As far asthe EQ goes, if you use the SFE to comp you could use the EQ filters on mid and side possibky eliminating the need for EQ. I also can't say enough for what the silk circuit does as well as feed forward and feedback options. All of these things do almost everything one would need. I dobthink that a nice BaxEQ would be enough for final shimmer etc.
Old 31st October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's a good question , I did figure that since the limiter was set at plus 18 anything up there would be the result of make up gain applied after compression. As far asthe EQ goes, if you use the SFE to comp you could use the EQ filters on mid and side possibky eliminating the need for EQ. I also can't say enough for what the silk circuit does as well as feed forward and feedback options. All of these things do almost everything one would need.
Thanks you for the response!!!

Quote:
I dobthink that a nice BaxEQ would be enough for final shimmer etc.
I'm thinking Clariphonic
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks you for the response!!!

I'm thinking Clariphonic
Can't go wrong there either
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, here is a whole song dry, then after running it through the RND MBP.
I know theset first attempts may not the greatest, but I would welcome my fellow stulz thoughts, feedback and advice as I get my feet wet with this great piece of gear heh

Listen, and share your thoughts

MBP Mixes by Sound Waves Recording on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Drop the level of the processed one down by 4dB to match the original file's RMS level & then listen to the differences. The processed one sounds really distorted especially on the kick but check out the distortion break up at 4:09 it's crackling real bad there & probably other places too (didn't listen all the way through). I'm also assuming you used the stereo field processing on this track as well? it has really changed the mix especially with the side info.

Weird track though, it's like an acoustic ballad with a big rock drum sound. The Neve compression makes it feel even more aggressive & more rock than it needs to be (doesn't match the vocal style).
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, here are 3 sound clips after 1 day with RND Master Buss Processor

the B4 MBP is the clip with no processing

Drum Bounce 1 is the clip with just the sound field editor and silk circuit, no makeup gain and no reduction etc.

Drum Bounce 2 has make up gain and about 2-4 Db reduction depending on the section. Enjoy and give your thoughts
I think the compression action sounds good but I'd love to hear it without the stereo processing. Can you do some other files with just the compression? Listen to the hats in the original they are almost center, slightly off to the right. Then listen to the processed ones, they're now way over to the right & the center loses some punch with the snare & hats.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Drop the level of the processed one down by 4dB to match the original file's RMS level & then listen to the differences. The processed one sounds really distorted especially on the kick but check out the distortion break up at 4:09 it's crackling real bad there & probably other places too (didn't listen all the way through). I'm also assuming you used the stereo field processing on this track as well? it has really changed the mix especially with the side info.

Weird track though, it's like an acoustic ballad with a big rock drum sound. The Neve compression makes it feel even more aggressive & more rock than it needs to be (doesn't match the vocal style).

Thanks Matt!!!! Yea, I really processed the crap oout of it. I just wanted to use all of the features and I went vwry wide with the side info just to show how dramatic it can be. The distortion had to do with me trying to drive the crap out of it and really push the limiter in the mid as well as pumpp the depth setting. I will try to post some more subtle work.

Thannks for the great feedback
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the compression action sounds good but I'd love to hear it without the stereo processing. Can you do some other files with just the compression? Listen to the hats in the original they are almost center, slightly off to the right. Then listen to the processed ones, they're now way over to the right & the center loses some punch with the snare & hats.
Yes I will do some work without the SFE and label them compression only.

I can't say how much I appreciate your thoughts, I know I got excited and overused this thing. Also, the first clips were with the chanells linked. I got a lot better control and sound when I split the channels mid and side.

Used it on an attended session last night and the client loved what we did. I know once I get a good handle on this thing I will make some great mixes.

As far as the song with the big drums and laid back vocal style...the artists really wanted a big drum sound on almost everything. An interesting approach I think, one of those love it or hate it type of things.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow, I just listened to that track again and I didn't realize how distorted it was. I must have missed something, that just sounds horrible!!!

Let me try and redo some of this to give abtter idea of the processor and prove I'm not deaf !!!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the compression action sounds good but I'd love to hear it without the stereo processing. Can you do some other files with just the compression?
Yes!!! here ya go, a dry and comp only sample

see this thread My RND Master Buss Processor Audio Diary
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes!!! here ya go, a dry and comp only sample

Sound Waves Recording's sets on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
neve-mbp-comp-clips
hmm.. interesting, was the comp used in 'parallel' mode by any chance? it kind of sounds a bit 'phasey' like there is a slight delayed signal to it but this isn't in the original unprocessed file. If you turn up the pre-processed drum file 10dB to match the compressed one & A/B you'll hear what I mean. I also think when you turn up the unprocessed drums 10dB they sound better than the processed file.
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I also think when you turn up the unprocessed drums 10dB they sound better than the processed file.
Oddly enough, and much to my dismay, i agree.

I however very much enjoyed the previous files demonstrating some of the extremes that this device is capable of. Between these and the youtube video from the RND facility with actual audio you can get a great representation of potential expectations... and they are quite high!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm.. interesting, was the comp used in 'parallel' mode by any chance? it kind of sounds a bit 'phasey' like there is a slight delayed signal to it but this isn't in the original unprocessed file. If you turn up the pre-processed drum file 10dB to match the compressed one & A/B you'll hear what I mean. I also think when you turn up the unprocessed drums 10dB they sound better than the processed file.
Yes, I didn't make the blend 100% processed, also I am going out of my
Dangerous 2 buss right into this. Maybe I should summ first, then process ? Instead if right out of the summer to the comp and backs into pt?
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oddly enough, and much to my dismay, i agree.

I however very much enjoyed the previous files demonstrating some of the extremes that this device is capable of. Between these and the youtube video from the RND facility with actual audio you can get a great representation of potential expectations... and they are quite high!
Yes, I agree. I have been trying to learn this while being slammed Which is good . I think I need to block out some time just to focus on it and get better with it. So any issues are definitely user error. Thanks for all the great feedback
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Addict

I have a demo unit for a few days. HOLY COW it's nice. The m/s mode kicks a$$
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Stengaard View Post
I have a demo unit for a few days. HOLY COW it's nice. The m/s mode kicks a$$
Yes!!! Rather tasty treat it is!!!
Old 8th April 2015
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if you're able to solo and work on the mid & sides individually like on the Elysia Alpha?
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.K.M. View Post
Does anyone know if you're able to solo and work on the mid & sides individually like on the Elysia Alpha?
Nope. The MS implementation is really weird, I don't really understand it. That being said I use it everyday for mastering and continue to like it more and more.
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

Wondering if jimmyboy ever added the Bax EQ or if the other poster used it with a Clariphonic. I once went through the exercise of dreaming up a mastering chain, and it included all 3 of these pieces.
Old 9th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Nope. The MS implementation is really weird, I don't really understand it. That being said I use it everyday for mastering and continue to like it more and more.
Thanks a lot for that reply thermos. The manual wasn't really that clear on that being possible. The only hope was maybe hitting the SFE to Comp button and then alternating between the Depth In & Width In buttons. That's a big factor in deciding between the two units for me because I really love the Alpha plugin for that feature. I'll probably keep saving for the Alpha. Thanks thermos!
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.K.M. View Post
Thanks a lot for that reply thermos. The manual wasn't really that clear on that being possible. The only hope was maybe hitting the SFE to Comp button and then alternating between the Depth In & Width In buttons. That's a big factor in deciding between the two units for me because I really love the Alpha plugin for that feature. I'll probably keep saving for the Alpha. Thanks thermos!
Funny enough, I used this feature yesterday. Got a mix with wildly evolving mid and side info, and the sfe to comp really helped. Yes you can turn mid and/or side almost all the way down.
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock View Post
Wondering if jimmyboy ever added the Bax EQ or if the other poster used it with a Clariphonic. I once went through the exercise of dreaming up a mastering chain, and it included all 3 of these pieces.
Clariphonic in my opinion only works for certain types of material; I did not find it a good overall fit when trying these two boxes together. Better to go with a more featured parametric EQ to better address individual sonic issues. Also, with the silk (Blue) pushed up rather high I also find sibilance to be a subtle but definitive issue, especially if a track is already sort of hot in the upper mids or if there already was a good amount of saturation used in the mixing stage. Red silk is good as well, but with the 250hz SC filter, darkening up or boosting low end power seems rarely what is needed in the output after processing. Overall still a fantastic and customizable box for just about any purpose, i love tracking with it too!

Last edited by Cb Media; 13th April 2015 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: added more, fixed spelling

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search