The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portico or Great River?!! Condenser Microphones
Old 5th March 2006
Gear Nut

Portico or Great River?!!

I've heard both are "Neveish" style. Never heard one, but next week I must make the purchase.
Wich one is more relieble? Wich one have better customer service? Wich one sounds better (for pop vocal recordings)? Wich one is more trusty?
I have a M149 mic and I'm thinking for the compression to the GT Glory Comp.
Thanks.
Old 6th March 2006

Great River, because...

1] It's a great product - you won't be disappointed.

2] Dan is a great guy and deserves the business.

Cheers
Tim.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
2] Dan is a great guy and deserves the business.

Cheers
Tim.
If someone deserves the business more than anyone at this point it would be Neve himself no ?
Old 6th March 2006
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_scorpion
I've heard both are "Neveish" style.
isn´t Rupert Neve a real "Neve"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_scorpion
Never heard one, but next week I must make the purchase.
Wich one is more relieble? Wich one have better customer service? Wich one sounds better (for pop vocal recordings)? Wich one is more trusty?

Thanks.
I can´t talk about GR, but My 5012 is great for pop vocals. I have used with U67, and pearlman tm1 among others, I have compared to avalon, CIB and others, and 5012 sounds great, fuller and deeper than Avalon, and better image than CIB.and many others.
Customer service is excelent, I have a problem with a portico 5042 and they replace my unit next day.
my clients are very happy with neve portico.
Anyway look at this:
http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/micpregraph.htm
Old 6th March 2006
Gear Maniac

I have both a love them! Remember these are just one persons oppinions...

MP2-NV; I use this mainly on drums. The transient response is excellent and with 'loading' out and 'impedance' in it really kicks hard!

5012; Great all around sounding pre. Seems to sound great on just about everything. I especially like it on vocals or acoustic guitar.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Hated the Portico.

Hands down Great River. Not even a little bit close. If that's the sound you want...there it is. The Portico sounded like a cheap, fuzzy version of the Great River.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann
Hated the Portico.

Hands down Great River. Not even a little bit close. If that's the sound you want...there it is. The Portico sounded like a cheap, fuzzy version of the Great River.
thumbsup
Old 6th March 2006

This is the High End forum.... You're required to buy one of everything!heh
Old 6th March 2006
Gear Nut

digging the portico herethumbsup
Old 6th March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
If someone deserves the business more than anyone at this point it would be Neve himself no ?
The reason I said that Jose is Mr Neve can build just about anything he likes, and as long as it has his name on it, it will sell. On the other hand, people like Dan and I have to work DAMN hard to even get a micron thick slice of the potential microphone preamp market. I owned a GR NV (until it got pinched), but not a Portico, so I cannot comment on the sound comparson, sorry.

Cheers
Tim.
Old 6th March 2006
Gear Addict

i love my portico
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

I love my Great River. I also have to say that Dan is great...excellent service. This preamp has a big sound...compared to an APi 3124 pre it has less of a foward midrange and deeper lows and smoother extended highs (to my ear). I love the metering and it sound huge when you drive the front end hard. Great di too.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

I don´t know the Great River but I am working with the Portico 5032 since few weeks in addition to the Manley Voxbox.
I tested the Portico also against the Chandler LTD1 before buying it.

My experience so far is, that I still use everything lead.... (vocals, sax) with the Voxbox (with Brauner VMA mic) and the most of others (all other vocals & brass, accoustic guitar, etc.. ) with the Portico. It has a very big, round and pushy ! tone with a lot of transparancy and definition. It fills the whole mix very nicely.
However I still using the Voxbox (also advantage to be a complete channel strip) for the lead tracks.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

my friend has a great river. he got it about 2 weeks ago.

we checked out the clips at listeningsessions(at seperate times...without the other person there). i liked the portico and he liked the great river.

I remember liking the great river slightly more initially(because it was brighter), but the more i let the acoustic guitar loops play, i just loved the portico for it's depth and smoothness. It just sounded more like a record to me.

my friend liked the great river more, so that's what he got.

he really likes his great river, but also likes my portico and asks to use it(he said it sounds fat... and a bit more colored than his GR). I don't think he'd hesitate to use either one. If i had extra money, i'd get a great river to couple with my portico.

i guess i'm trying to say:

they're both good. when it comes to gear of this caliber, I don't think you can go wrong either way. i think that's why these gearslutz say "buy both!".

they really sound different.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hated the Portico.

Maybe a bad cable???
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Portico. Works on everything
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember liking the great river slightly more initially(because it was brighter), but the more i let the acoustic guitar loops play, i just loved the portico for it's depth and smoothness. It just sounded more like a record to me.
You're sure that you're listening to the Great River preamp in question, right? cause there's no way it's "brighter" than a Portico. Sure you weren't listening to the older, faster, cleaner GR model? That's the one I remember hearing Dan put up against the Portico.

FWIW...in that test I preferred the old GR to the Portico on about everything, too...but, it's not the same "nv" preamp being discussed here.

Quote:
Maybe a bad cable???
More likely that I just think "that" sound is rotten. I prefer fast OR tube in a preamp. I don't really seem to dig the tranny sound to begin with. I'd rather use a Mackie than Portico. API does fairly well across the board. The Great RiverNv has it's things...bassDI, it's ungodly cool. It does cool things with bright mics...as it kinda rolls off the highs in a sweet, natural way.

The Portico...just didn't dig it. Sorry. the good news is...it doesn't matter what I dig. ...however, if someone asks me about these two preamps, it's just not even debateable for me. The only thing from the Portico that I do wish Dan would implement is the continuously variable HPF.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
isn´t Rupert Neve a real "Neve"?
Depends on what you mean by "real Neve" or "Neve-ish"...while neither are clones of the vintage Neve stuff, the Great River is more similar, and that's what most people are looking for when they look for a "Neve-ish" preamp. Yes, the Portico was designed by Rupert Neve himself, but he's made it fairly clear that he considers his older designs to be inferior to his newer ones (Focusrite ISA110, Amek 9098, his Summit pres, etc) even though the general engineering population doesn't seem to agree..

-Duardo
Old 6th March 2006
Here for the gear

portico or Great River

I have both the Portico and the Great River. However I do not use them for recording female voices. I prefer using
the Vintech X73 or Chandler Ltd1.
Old 6th March 2006
The M149 works very well with the Great River MP-NV--and that's important because the M149 needs to be matched to the right preamp or it won't sound good at all. I haven't used the Portico, but have used the M149 with the GR many times and highly recommend it.
Old 6th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hated the Portico.

thumbsup thumbsup

SO true !
Old 6th March 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrelNote
thumbsup thumbsup

SO true !

I think TheThrillFactor had the same finding?
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear
I have only heard sound samples of the Great River and I was very impressed.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
The reason I said that Jose is Mr Neve can build just about anything he likes, and as long as it has his name on it, it will sell. On the other hand, people like Dan and I have to work DAMN hard to even get a micron thick slice of the potential microphone preamp market. I owned a GR NV (until it got pinched), but not a Portico, so I cannot comment on the sound comparson, sorry.

Cheers
Tim.
Yes, I agree with you. It´s like that with everything though ? I hope in the future your products to will sell like that. I´m sure they will as I only heard excellent comments from your designs.
Old 7th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Have both here.

If you can listen to both do so.

If I could only buy one it would be Great River.
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

I used both here and did a variety of tests. Sent back the GR and kept the Portico. It's a more versatile box.
Old 7th March 2006
Gear Maniac
Tools

I have both and they both do great things under the right circumstances- the GR NV is fabulous on most anything we throw at it. Ribbons love it- it has a lot of positives and no negatives I can think of. The Portico is physically small and somewhat cheesy-looking- but it can sound great on guitars, drums, some vocals, etc- these are both tools. Neither is the holy grail but both of them are useful at times. I know that isn't nearly skewed enough to qualify me as a rabid gearslut- but it is true from what I can tell sonically-

It is also true that there are generalizations on this site about pres- like the TG2- which I never tried on acoustic instruments due to all of the hype and my own positive experiences with electric guitar amps and the TG2- try it sometime- these things all react differently in different situations and it's worth it to experiment with stuff you wouldn't expect to work- my 2 cents.
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

I bought

AMEK DMCL
Neve 1073 DPD
Great River NV
Portico 5012

I sold

Neve 1073 DPD
Portico 5012

Dunno, I simply like it and it complements cold cleanness of DMCL.
Both other more Nevish Neves didn't work to me to such extent to keep them.
Old 8th March 2006
Gear Nut
I had the GR, and sold it to buy either the Portico 5012 or the API 512C. Kept both the Neve and the API , and haven't missed the GR at all.

The Portico and the API make a fine pair, yin and yang. Portico and U67 sounds great for lead vocals in our shop.

Ken

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search