The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portico or Great River?!! Condenser Microphones
Old 27th March 2006
Gear Nut

thank you guys, BUT...!

...please remember wich my "goals" are: a vocal sound like Robbie Williams, James Blunt, George Michael (Spinning the wheel, Jesus to a child...).
And another one: how do you think it's better PRE-EQ-COMP or PRE-COMP-EQ?!

P O P M U S I C !
Old 27th March 2006
Gear Addict
Just to confuse the issue more, I wonder if anyone has compared the Portico + Great River to the Wunder pre? Their 4 channel mic pre looks mighty appealing.
Old 28th March 2006
Gear Head

I am trying both of these pre's out -right now- in my home studio. I am not a pro. I am currently evaluating distorted rock guitars ->E609 mics ->mytek 24/96 AD ->DAW. I'm still listening and making my evaluations, but a few things my ears are sure of:
Portico: Round, full. The highs are sweet and full- but not emphasized. Very full lows.
GR: More highs, but not harsh at all. Very articulate. Not nearly the lows of the Portico. Portico with a HPF @100 hz resembles the lows of the GR. Maybe it's because of the highs, but the GR might have a wider soundstage, and might be punchier. The GR is built like a tank.

I'm liking the GR's "cut" on multiple rhythm tracks, but it seems a little bit "thin" on the lead gtr solo, where I'm liking the Portico more.
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Nut

One of the best explanations of these preamps I have heard yet. Very useful to people who maybe can't buy both.

It's too bad the Portico 5012 doesn't have D.I.s and the MP2NV doesn't have high pass filters... however, you definitely get more bang for buck with the Great River.

It's just that the Portico's big roundness can really cure some inherent digital harshness. That said I believe the Great River is more versatile and if I could pick one that would be it.
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Maniac

I prefer the Amek 9098 and DMCL over the portico and I like the Great River over all of these!

Another thing, Great River is not a bright pre! Pacífica is one bright preamp, GML too.
Great River has a little more high than original 1073 but it will never be a bright preamp. IMO
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_scorpion View Post
Wich one have better customer service?
Ancient thread, but I'd like to chime in on how responsive RND's customer service was when I had a problem with my 5043 (that turned out to be user error.) Not only did they return my email in less then 24 hours, but provided a couple things to check before shipping, an RMA, 'ship to' USA based address, and the estimated time and cost for repair (based on most of their repairs: 3 days in house, $65+shipping) ALL IN ONE EMAIL. Expectations immediately set and met.

Attention gear manufacturers - this is how you do it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search