The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LDC on par with innertube u87, but different Condenser Microphones
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

LDC on par with innertube u87, but different

hey all,

can anyone recommend to me a mic that would be a good choice as a second go-to vocal mic on a par with the innertube audio u87 while offering a different sound?

i would like to have 2 main vocal mics with which i could feel confident that i had most bases covered when it comes to vocal recording.

a brauner perhaps?

or a gefell?

regards,

richie.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Shure SM7B and Gefell UM900. Between those two, I'm pretty much covered. Although I wouldn't mind a C12 and a U47. Brauner VM1A is very natural and awesome as well. For a thick male, try a neumann m49.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

thanks

thanks man.

anyone else?
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

I'd be thinking about going with something with an M7 style capsule since you have the K67/87 thing covered. Something with more weight. Maybe an E49 or if you can afford the M49 above mentioned would probably be great.
Old 6th March 2006
Lives for gear

the Manley Ref Cardiod continues to impress all my clients...and is a bargain
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
I'd be thinking about going with something with an M7 style capsule since you have the K67/87 thing covered. Something with more weight. Maybe an E49 or if you can afford the M49 above mentioned would probably be great.
indeed, i was thinking of getting a pair of gefell umt70s for general purpose ldc duties anyway, since they have the k7 would they fit the bill for vocals as a contrast to the innertube u87 in terms of character but as a match in terms of sound quality?

i havent thad the chance to use them yet but keep hearing great things, especially for the price.

also, i may only be able to buy brand new ones, there seems to be some confusion about the relative qualities of theses mics depending on their age / model number, something about the preamp circuit being changed, loss of tranx?

regards,

richie.
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't tried them myself, I should really. I just have a bad taste in my mouth regarding transformerless mics.
Old 7th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie
hey all,

can anyone recommend to me a mic that would be a good choice as a second go-to vocal mic on a par with the innertube audio u87 while offering a different sound?
BTW how do you like your "innertube" mod comparing to the stock U87 ? Apart from positive comments I also found some more critical comments, like it sounds too much "tubey", hyped in certain frequencies (low mids) and also that the inner noise is higher than with the stock one. I am considering "innertubing" my U87 but I am afraid of an "overtubey" sound ... More noise would be also not welcome... Thanks for some comments ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search