The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Culture Vulture vs Decapitator
Old 10th December 2013
Great thread. The solo is on my wish list.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Nice old thread. Its almost two years later and I'm still using the CV and Decap all the time.

Some really broad new thoughts for you:

- If I could, I would use CV on every sound I track. I certainly wouldn't use decap on every tracked sound. On the CV I can find set ups that are undeniably to me, better than the sound without the CV.

- I always find something, no matter how subtle, is lost when i use the decap. In other words I can not find a setting that gives me something positive for no penalty.

- I'm often using the HPF on the decap now and adding in a little of top end hash from it, but avoiding most of the mids and lows which become less defined.

- This happens less on the CV, but it still happens, so if I really want a lot of grit I'll again use parallel in mixing here and not distort/blend anything below 500hz.

- I will try to avoid using decap when I can, but inevitably there are still a couple instances on every mix. I am finding the T setting to be most to my liking these days. When it works it can really be the ticket for something.

- I could not live without my CV without a suitable hardware replacement. Its on 80% of the sounds in every mix and its the reason I'm craving custom tube pre's these days...

Russell
Old 10th December 2013
Thanks Russell for the overview.
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

I have one of the earliest prototypes of the Culture Vulture I got as a bonus thrown in with some other gear I bought over the summer. It has a 7kHz selector switch instead of 9kHz...but other than that and it's beat up old casing I can't really see much that's too different.

There's definitely something wrong with one of the channels (I'm not getting the same output channel to channel, it's not killing me, but I really want to see it fixed over the Xmas break.) Even with this problem I've been using mine in parallel with certain AUX send FX in every mix I have done in the past five months.

The Decapitator was interesting when I demoed it. I really enjoyed what it does, but put it on a list of things to maybe get later down the road. I think with the CV I found something that really adds dimension as well as distortion to things that otherwise would sound stiff, and with the Decapitator it's more of an obvious, but useful effect I would want some of the time depending on the source material. Even though it's subtle, one of my favorite uses for the CV is at the end of an FX Send chain using a Tape Emulation Plugin like Slate or Waves, just to make things feel a bit more analog. Then I feed it into all of my tracks from there to give everything a bit of tube saturation "keyed" by the Tape Emulation.
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
There's definitely something wrong with one of the channels (I'm not getting the same output channel to channel, it's not killing me, but I really want to see it fixed over the Xmas break.) Even with this problem I've been using mine in parallel with certain AUX send FX in every mix I have done in the past five months.
Are you setting based on the knobs or the meters?

I find mine not that accurate on the knobs but the meters get left and right sonically close every time.

For instance set bias the same on each knob by adjusting to the same "steady" level on the meter.

Adjust drive by making the L&R "dip" the same amount on a transient test source that's the same in both channels.

I've become very friendly with the meter so that I can use the CV in tracking without hearing it and hopefully still get some love out of it.

I used to gravitate to settings steady state around 0.45mA always on triode setting. These days I'm enjoying the tone much more at 0.3-0.35mA and below on triode. Special effect type stuff would be everything out of the 0.25-0.5 range on the meter in triode, or pretty much any setting in P1 or P2.

Russell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search