The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What kind of pick do you all use for rhythm acoustic guitar tracks? Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Maniac

What kind of pick do you all use for rhythm acoustic guitar tracks?

I have been using medium for awhile but I'm thinking I may need less eq if I start using a light pick because I'll get less low mids.

Any opinions or suggestions??

What do most of you use for strummy acoustic guitar tracks?
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Strummy body or strummy stringy? I'll go lighter if I want stringy. Varies. Whatever gets you where you're going. Sometimes I'll lay out a cup full of picks & try em out.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Maniac

I just keep noticing I gotta notch out 160 hz and I think its because of using a heavier pic.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I use Dunlop Tortex .60 (Orange) for everything guitars and Yellows for Bass.

Every other pick I tried until now doesn't feel right.

Am I picky? heh
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
I use Dunlop Tortex .60 (Orange) for everything guitars and Yellows for Bass.

Every other pick I tried until now doesn't feel right.

Am I picky? heh
No. heh I can only play with copper hotlick #10 picks from Dunlop. They haven't made them for years, so I had to scour throughout the country to locate the last supplies. Before that I could only use tortoise shell that became illegal. After a few stubborn years I had to finally give up . But for acoustic rhythm I'm less picky. Strumming stuff I like a less stiff pick. The copper works well, and I still use it most of the time, but it beats the hell out of the strings.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I like the sound of the Dunlop Tortex green picks for acoustic guitar tracks. They have a really nice crisp attack, nicer than your average Fender type pick, and a nicer mellower edge than the stainless steel picks I used to use.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Head

Bluechip TD 50
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm for pretty much everything.

Though if its a special occasion, ill use my RedBear BigJazzer, also in 2mm.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Fender Medium

Done.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Addict

Been using real tortoise for decades now, nothing else feels right. But weight, thickness, and shape of the point have a tremendous effect on the sound - can make it sound like a completely different guitar. Very fun.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
I use a dunlop Nylon .38mm for strumming and sometimes a .46mm for picking
it depends, but lighter the better or it sounds hard/harsh
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitreouswindows View Post
Been using real tortoise for decades now, nothing else feels right. But weight, thickness, and shape of the point have a tremendous effect on the sound - can make it sound like a completely different guitar. Very fun.
Yes. Nothing's better than tortoise fir picks as far as I'm concerned.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Nut

Picks create different sounds, yes... But for me it is all about playability. Red or orange dunlop for me, I can't comfortably use anything heavier than the orange.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear
I like the following for different applications or player made EQ:

Felt
Rubber Wedgies
Gator Dunlop 2.0 heavy and the aqua colored medium 1.4?
The acrylic V pick is great too.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Yellow tortex for most flat picking that needs to be noticed, red for strummy rhythm stuff to sit back in a larger mix.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Guitar plectrums

I like to use 13's on acoustic & use passion 2mm.
Old 1st June 2011
60 for strumming, almost always, sometimes a 46 or 73 depending on the guitar and sound wanted. Bluesgrass stuff, heavy Good old fender picks, preferably 347 (the large jazz style).
Old 1st June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Yellow tortex for most flat picking that needs to be noticed, red for strummy rhythm stuff to sit back in a larger mix.
same here... yellow = 0.73 or red 0.6

Depending on the guitar and the room you could try pulling the mic further back.

OP - Also if you have a good s/n ratio you could try strumming softer with a "standard" or thicker pick - sometimes that brings out more sparkle
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Head

It depends on the guitar part. For strumming, I realy like fender celluloid picks. They're bright and have good attack. Medium for more low mids, light for a thinner sound. Medium dunlop nylon picks have a cool raunchy thuddy sound.

For bluegrass or other accoustic lead parts. I use Red Bear Trading picks. They're cultured from a natural protien and closely resemble torties shell. They're fast, bright, and you can easily control how much bass respose you get by your attack.

For a part where I'm really beating the strings, I use dunlop ultex picks. but they tend to produce some bass.

check out elderly.com. They have a huge selection of picks and all things acoustic for that matter. Great company to deal with also.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

i wasn't aware one could still get real tortoise ?

I use mostly Dinosaur brand fake tortoise .For the string attack to be in the for front .96 for the GTR to sit in the mix 1.20 or even 1.50
Old 1st June 2011
Here for the gear

picks used

Definitely Dava precision points.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

I use mostly Dinosaur brand fake tortoise .For the string attack to be in the for front .96 for the GTR to sit in the mix 1.20 or even 1.50
You can't, at least not legally around here.

I had a whole thing - a method I used for treating the tortoise shells that you can't do with plastic or whatever material they use with most picks. Real tortoise shell is like a cross between your nail and flesh, so timbre wise it's perfect for me.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

S'all how you play too. I've seen a few guys use those purple paperweights and somehow manage to have touch on the acoustic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

I wasn't aware you could still get real dinosaurs either.

Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I use pretty heavy picks no matter what. In the 70s I used the stone picks... love them, but they shatter when they hit the floor and finding the right thickness then having it break is a bitch.

I have a stainless steel pick from Def Leopard, too metallic for my tastes.

I've used Tortex in a .93 for many years, but I switched to Ultex. Much nicer.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Dunlop orange, pink (very pliable), my finger nails , fender medium (the old stuff)
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Try and get an OLD British 6penny piece great pik...lol
Old 1st June 2011

^ don't forget the AC30 and clogs
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDaCat View Post
Try and get an OLD British 6penny piece great pik...lol

ZZ Top used quarters squashed on the railroad tracks, for a while.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I keep a box of about 25 different kinds of guitar picks at the studio and choose based on the tune, guitar, player and the arrangement. Switching guitar picks is a way bigger change than switching mic pres.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

tortex purple 1.14mm

thin picks sound too plastic
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search