The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My Pacifica is here!
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

My Pacifica is here!

And it´s amazing. It´s more stunning in "person" than in pictures, the red is deeper and the white is creamier. And it´s heavy.

It arrived last night. I couldn´t wait so I did a little A-B comparison, just for me..
I recorded my vocal and acoustic gtr through my Rode K2 (my Pearlman is on it´s way), Rhodes and Jazzbass, directly through Avalon 737 and the Pacifica to Pro Tools 24/44.1 . No compressor or eq. The results were very pleasing. Overall the Pacifica sound is clearer and less muddy, the bass is still tighter, the vocal shine! More toppy but it´s a nice gentle top. Much more detailed. Even my cheap guitar sounds like a Martin. The annoying mids from the guitar aren´t annoying anylonger, it´s a nice acoustic gtr sound! Still full and round. Can´t wait to start a new project with it.

What an investment. My recordings will sound way more advanced and more fun to mix and listen to.

Peter Montessi at A Audio designs has been amazing. He has been in touch with my through email every day doing his best to straighten out every problem I ran into during the process of purchasing the Pacifica from overseas. He´s a complete enthusiastic and a great human being. I can´t thank him enough.

And since my Grammy speach is on I should also thank James LA Lugo for recommending the Pacifica and the Pearlman TM-1 which is on it´s way aswell, here on Gearslutz.

Kalli
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Congrats!
I've heard nothing but good things about Pacifica, hope it will match perfectly with your coming Pearlman !
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

and now you know....

Old 3rd March 2006
500 series nutjob

congrats!
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Great purchase! Have fun with the Pad switch. Engaging it and cranking the gain gives you some really nice sonic options.
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear
Congrats!!!
I ordered a Pacifica last week. I have never heard it, but taking the advice of many dudes....a few who are posting in this thread.
They are on back order at LVPA, but it should arrive in a few days.
After reading these Pacifica posts, I am licken my chops!!!
Old 4th March 2006

That pre rocks! I'd like to that the commitee....

Good luck.
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, this is a little crazy, but I have to share a Pacifica story.

I had my friend Kevin down at our place doing some wiring. We had an iso room built within our main tracking room, which is a big space, primarily for drums, but also for loud, effing guitars. Kevin wired a snake that goes from the room to my upstairs composing suite so that I could record from down there. During our intial line/patchbay tests, I used the Pacifica as my pre of choice to hear the mic Kev had plugged in the iso room.

Ok, you get the idea, but I have to tell you first, this guy is an audio LUNATIC! Only the best gear is on his list and every thing else is GARBAGE. He is VERY opinionated and is notorious for his attitude and ..."edge". He's a prickly pear. Anyway, what happened was, he had asked me what it was when he saw it in my rack and I told him. Later when we were checking the mic, he was all the way downstairs (at the foot of the stairs) when I was monitoring the mic up in my room. He said "What the f*&k is that!! Is that the Quad 8 style pre?? I said "yeah". He didn't say another word. Later on he told me he couldn't believe the sound, even from downstairs he could hear the top end and how silky it was. We were testing with a 57, so he knew it was the pre doing that. Pacifica tames the beast.
Old 4th March 2006

Hey darkwater, things are back to abnormal at the Asylum. We should hook up for sushi?
Old 1st April 2006
Gear Nut

Hello, my name is Jim and I’m a Pacifica addict.

I just got mine today – holy moley! I only had time to do a quick VO with an NTK, but the sound was so huge I had to plug in a couple others just to see (and make myself late to a meeting). It totally rounded off the hard edges of my TLM 193, but the most striking thing was the Chinese condenser that will be going back to the store on Monday. It was as if I’d never heard the damn thing before! Peter, my hat’s off to you.

Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear
Hey Pacifica Brotha,
It is a GREAT pre indeed!
What do you mean by...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush
but the most striking thing was the Chinese condenser that will be going back to the store on Monday.
I didn't quite get that?
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

The Pacifica and the Pearlman sounds like a winner...good luck
Old 1st April 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
Hey Pacifica Brotha,
It is a GREAT pre indeed!
What do you mean by...

I didn't quite get that?

My cheapo pre was masking exactly how bad the mic really was. Suddenly I can hear what a piece of crap it is and no longer feel the need to let it take up space in my locker,
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
Hey darkwater, things are back to abnormal at the Asylum. We should hook up for sushi?
James, just saw this post. Let's hook up for sure. You've gotta check out my place in Venice......and there's great sushi down the street!!

oh ,yeah, PACIFICA ROCKS!!!!

I get my GAMA8 tomorrow. Can't wait to try the PAC with it for drums. Maybe on OH....
Old 1st April 2006

Let's do it. Next Saturday is my birthday and my mom is coming in from Florida. We are all heading down to the Promanade in Santa Monica. Maybe we could come by your studio and kidnap you. Saturday April 8th.

James
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
Let's do it. Next Saturday is my birthday and my mom is coming in from Florida. We are all heading down to the Promanade in Santa Monica. Maybe we could come by your studio and kidnap you. Saturday April 8th.

James
Hey! Thats my Bday too, Happy Bday James, Hope you have a great time with your Family.
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

Pacifica on bass DI
Old 2nd April 2006
Gear Maniac

Congrats on the Pacifica, probably the only one in our country at the moment
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agli
Thanks Agli

I have 5 albums lined up this year that I will produce, they will be very pacificed.
The worst thing is that the building of my little studio is not going so fast. I will have to wait at least another week before I can start pacificing..

Have you bought yourself a preamp, Agli ?

Kalli
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

what made you buy the Pacifica and how much$$$ did it cost
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
what made you buy the Pacifica and how much$$$ did it cost
I wanted to buy a two-channel preamp that was good and distinctive, one that not everybody owned, so when the Pacifica came around and began to get these smokin reviews here on Gearslutz then I knew..so GEARSLUTZ MADE ME DO IT!!!

It was somewhere between $1500 and 2000..

I have only tried it out once, did a little shootout between the Pacifica and my Avalon, wow, what a difference!

Kalli
Old 2nd April 2006
The pacifica will be used on every track after the initial drums tracks are done. I'm digging it on everything.

V
Old 2nd April 2006
Lives for gear

The P-1 module is not too shabby either!

Brad
Old 3rd April 2006
500 series nutjob

the P-1 is just sweet!
i love it!
Old 3rd April 2006
Lives for gear

I love it more!
Old 3rd April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
the P-1 is just sweet!
i love it!
You said it Pan! The P-1 ROCKS!
Old 3rd April 2006
Gear Addict

This weekend I used Pacificas on OH, Gtr, Bass just awesome and what a nice blend with my new Germaniums on room and in the overall picture. Pete rules! Nice guy!!!
Old 3rd April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico
This weekend I used Pacificas on OH, Gtr, Bass just awesome and what a nice blend with my new Germaniums on room and in the overall picture. Pete rules! Nice guy!!!
Peter is amazing! He rocks! Mr. Montessi for president!
Old 4th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agli
I am producing an record in Iceland this summer and I will be bringing my Pacificas with me for sure. I am a total convert and use them on everything.
Old 4th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm
I am producing an record in Iceland this summer and I will be bringing my Pacificas with me for sure. I am a total convert and use them on everything.
And who is the artist?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search