The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Neve 8038 on Ebay
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Addict

Vintage Neve 8038 on Ebay

Vintage Castle Oaks Neve 8038 on ebay.

Vintage NEVE 8038 Console w/ 1073 1082 1075 1074 1072 | eBay

cool pics and history
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Nice.

I wonder which artist recently recorded on this console in the last 3-4 years. Rock, pop, top 40?

Be cool to know.
Old 29th May 2011
member no 666

Hell - if anyone is looking for a Neve desk I know the where abouts of an 8032, 8048 and an 8058 that are all for sale for well less than $200k... all are in excellent condition, available for full inspection as well as immediate delivery. PM for details
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
I wonder which artist recently recorded on this console in the last 3-4 years. Rock, pop, top 40?
I was at a session back in Feb. '08 at Castle Oaks with Dick Halligan, Peter Erskine, and Dave Carpenter, and they used the Neve. It's a nice desk for sure, but 200K seems a bit more than steep for these times.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
...and Dave Carpenter
I miss Dave.
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
I was at a session back in Feb. '08 at Castle Oaks with Dick Halligan, Peter Erskine, and Dave Carpenter, and they used the Neve. It's a nice desk for sure, but 200K seems a bit more than steep for these times.

Cheers,
--
Don
For my desires and needs, I would not spend 200K on a console. I would spend 200K in gold, gear and instruments before even having the thought. but hey thats me and my plans..I believe the West Coast has more Neve consoles than any other part of the USA..
Old 26th July 2011
Here for the gear

Neve 8038 pedigree

Pedigree
  • The Who
  • George Thorogood
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Bonnie Raitt
  • LeAnn Rimes
  • Serigo Mendes
  • Solomon Burke
  • James Taylor
  • James Bond Feature Film Series
  • High School Musical 1-3
  • Titanic
  • George Massenburg
  • Bruce Swedien
  • Al Schmidt
  • and more!
This Neve 8038 was originally commissioned for use in CTS Studios Music Centre at Wembley, England, when they took over from De Lane Lea Studios, which had operated on the same site. At Music Centre, the emphasis was on recording orchestral music for film scores, including most of the James Bond films from the 70s to the 90s, multiple Pink Panther and Superman films, Murder on the Orient Express, The Omen, and many others.

Along with orchestral recording, the Music Centre at Wembley was also a popular mixing room. Among many other albums, The Who's final album with Keith Moon, 'Who Are You' was mixed there, using this very desk! A great sounding band through a great sounding board.

My company is considering buying it for a vintage room designed by Chris pelonis.
Old 27th July 2011
member no 666

If you haven't purchased that desk yet... a couple of the desks I mentioned earlier are still available... with equally cool [if not cooler - kinda depends on your taste in music] kind of pedigree.

If you don't know who I am, please feel free to ask Chris... he's a friend for 15+ years. It could be very possible to save yourself a Camaro's worth of cash and still get a hell of a showpiece console [in excellent condition... with all the sonic opulence you would expect!!].

Peace
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hi

Interesting thread but that console is not an 8038... not even close.

An 8038 used 12" channel amps (1064 or 1081) and 12" 1948 routing units that had 16 busses and 8 auxes. It also used the 3 blocks of 8 track monitor panels from the 8028.

That console uses 8.75" channel amps (1084, etc) and separate (1903?) group and (1906?) aux routing units. Because of this, the heavily modded console is more like an 8028.

Picky, I know, but I like facts to be correct...

heh
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

An 8038 used 12" channel amps (1064 or 1081) and 12" 1948 routing units that had 16 busses and 8 auxes. It also used the 3 blocks of 8 track monitor panels from the 8028.

That console uses 8.75" channel amps (1084, etc) and separate (1903?) group and (1906?) aux routing units. Because of this, the heavily modded console is more like an 8028.

heh
Do you think they were asking a fair price? Looks like it sold...
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

heh
Geoff_T is our very own Neve Mythbuster
You could almost do a web video series on it.

and it is back up for auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400221865024
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne104 View Post
Do you think they were asking a fair price? Looks like it sold...
Nope.. they lowered the price to $165k.
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
Geoff_T is our very own Neve Mythbuster
You could almost do a web video series on it.

and it is back up for auction Vintage NEVE 8038 Console w/ 1073 1082 1075 1074 1072 | eBay
Hi

Thanks for kind thoughts... The 8038 was developed from the Decca Paris console A599 which was the first console to be fitted with 1081's. I believe that console was a custom unit and the guy selling insists on listing 1072 where I believe he means 1272.

The 1072 was a stereo disc preamp for broadcast studios... very rare. He also lists the 1458 30Hz slate oscillator as a pre-amp....

heh
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

I was listening yesterday to a vintage 70's ub40 dub lp
which i just found out was mixed on this desk at the
music center wembley - weird coincidence this thread..

The sound was pretty mindblowin' which was why i was trying to
find out about music center studios.
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Guru

A great sounding 8038 recently acquired for waay less than 200k.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Neve 8038 on Ebay-zuma-8038-.jpg  
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Hi

Yes, a REAL 8038... a good comparison.

Nothing against the one for sale, albeit the guy shows lack on Neve knowledge in his advertisement, but it was one of dozens of custom consoles built back then.

A great console... just not an 8038.

heh
Old 27th July 2011
Here for the gear

We paid £35K for our 8038 in 1992..it was valued at around £100K recently for insurance purposes.
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrageGil View Post
Pedigree
  • The Who
  • George Thorogood
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Bonnie Raitt
  • LeAnn Rimes
  • Serigo Mendes
  • Solomon Burke
  • James Taylor
  • James Bond Feature Film Series
  • High School Musical 1-3
  • Titanic
  • George Massenburg
  • Bruce Swedien
  • Al Schmidt
  • and more!
This Neve 8038 was originally commissioned for use in CTS Studios Music Centre at Wembley, England, when they took over from De Lane Lea Studios, which had operated on the same site. At Music Centre, the emphasis was on recording orchestral music for film scores, including most of the James Bond films from the 70s to the 90s, multiple Pink Panther and Superman films, Murder on the Orient Express, The Omen, and many others.

Along with orchestral recording, the Music Centre at Wembley was also a popular mixing room. Among many other albums, The Who's final album with Keith Moon, 'Who Are You' was mixed there, using this very desk! A great sounding band through a great sounding board.

My company is considering buying it for a vintage room designed by Chris pelonis.
Just for the record: Everybody knows that Bruce Swedien still uses and has made most of his greatest work with his Harrison 32c. Or similar.

But yes, he probably has been working with countless Neves too...but 165k$ for a console? please...
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
...but 165k$ for a console? please...
Due respect, but the raw input modules by themselves are worth a fair amount more than $100k. Then you add buss amps, master section, monitor section, compressors (which are not advertised but are definitely in that console), Flying Faders, the fact that it is a COMPLETE(!) custom console...

Not a bad price for that desk by ANY stretch of the imagination. Not a great price, but certainly not a bad one. $200k was too much. They could probably sell it at the current advertised price if the seller actually knew what the hell he was listing.
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
Just for the record: Everybody knows that Bruce Swedien still uses and has made most of his greatest work with his Harrison 32c. Or similar.

But yes, he probably has been working with countless Neves too...but 165k$ for a console? please...
Hi

The last time I met Bruce, who was doing a Michael Jackson recording at a studio near here, he has a beautiful wooden lunch box with a pair of vintage Neve 1084's in it.

That was many years ago....

heh
Old 27th July 2011
Dan
Lives for gear

I know that board. Last time I saw it, it needed tons of work. Really dark, and just about every pot, switch, and connector needed "finessing" at some point in each session. It's been a while though. Maybe at that price it's been refurbished. I wonder what they consider "fully functioning."
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I know that board. Last time I saw it, it needed tons of work. Really dark, and just about every pot, switch, and connector needed "finessing" at some point in each session. It's been a while though. Maybe at that price it's been refurbished. I wonder what they consider "fully functioning."
Hi

He mentioned techs that look at it, and Dave's a good tech, but not the last time it was serviced

Posted from my iPhone
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I wonder what they consider "fully functioning."
Excellent point. I'm rifling off numbers based on the thing only needing "here and there" maintenance that almost always comes along with installing a desk like this...if the thing's a dog, the thing's a dog.
Old 27th July 2011
Here for the gear

Test drive

Well I get to Test drive it Friday. Chris Likes the idea of the board and since we are going to have a tech at our facilities full time for His room, George Augspurger's room(88R) and Vincent Van Haafs Room (SSL TBD probably a K)it will be well maintained. Also Chris's vintage room will feature Chambers! We are going Old School to the bone. If there are any suggestions for Recording Engineers with Pedigree's we would be considering them for projects. There will be a total of Six recording studios built and we are on a mission to create a fabulous facility. I am open to any ideas that you tech freaks have and look forward to possibly chatting about it. What's up with the chat room anyway? I go on there and the discussions are about binge drinking. I was hoping maybe we could start some serious conversations and get input from serious people. I have been asked to provide a wish list and have never been told that there was a budget to work with, only to get the place going so that when an artist works ther they don't want to leave. And that's besides the television production studios we are also building in another part of the building. So bring me your ideas and input I look forward to your ideas. Mics, outboard gear, etc.
Gil
Producer
Inrage Entertainment
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I get to Test drive it Friday. Chris Likes the idea of the board and since we are going to have a tech at our facilities full time for His room, George Augspurger's room(88R) and Vincent Van Haafs Room (SSL TBD probably a K)it will be well maintained. Also Chris's vintage room will feature Chambers! We are going Old School to the bone. If there are any suggestions for Recording Engineers with Pedigree's we would be considering them for projects. There will be a total of Six recording studios built and we are on a mission to create a fabulous facility. I am open to any ideas that you tech freaks have and look forward to possibly chatting about it. What's up with the chat room anyway? I go on there and the discussions are about binge drinking. I was hoping maybe we could start some serious conversations and get input from serious people. I have been asked to provide a wish list and have never been told that there was a budget to work with, only to get the place going so that when an artist works ther they don't want to leave. And that's besides the television production studios we are also building in another part of the building. So bring me your ideas and input I look forward to your ideas. Mics, outboard gear, etc.
Gil
Producer
Inrage Entertainment
Hi

If you would like me to come over and advise you what needs doing with the "8038" console you are welcome to contact me. I was at the factory when the beast was built and you may find my initials on the console circuits in the handbook... if it has a handbook!

heh
Old 27th July 2011
Here for the gear

my email address

[email protected] for contact info
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
[email protected] for contact info
emailed you

Old 28th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
nice console
Old 28th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi

If you would like me to come over and advise you what needs doing with the "8038" console you are welcome to contact me. I was at the factory when the beast was built and you may find my initials on the console circuits in the handbook... if it has a handbook!

heh
If said initials are not there, I would get your John Hancock for sure. Your comments always distill the hubris floating around here and that right quick.
Old 28th July 2011
Here for the gear

geoff t

I think Geoff is the real deal. I've got his email and he was there when the board was built. And he's in my back yard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search