The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lost Beatles mixer rediscovered. Consoles
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Lost Beatles mixer rediscovered.

The album “Abbey Road” was the only Beatles recording made using the EMI TG12345 transistorised mixing console, everything else having been recorded on the previous generation of EMI REDD consoles.
The original prototype TG console was installed in studio 2 at Abbey Road in December 1968 and was used for about a year before it was replaced by a "Mk2" version.
Some of the channels of the original desk were later incorporated into a portable mixer that was used on location recordings by Abbey Road. This mobile mixer was eventually passed on to a language school in neighbouring West Hampstead.
Abbey Road still held on to the original console frame, which was used to house various configurations of TG mixer before it was sold off along with a lot of other TG mixer spares, in about 1985.
The frame of the original desk is easily recognised, since it is unique, being painted blue. Every other version of the TG desk has a dark grey painted frame.

The original frame, along with some of the original channel strips, has been in storage for a long time, but recent research has located a number of the other channel modules, probably amounting to about 75% of the original desk.

An evaluation is currently taking place as to the possibility of collecting all of the remaining channels, with a view to restoring the console to its original configuration.

If the restoration can be carried out, it is the intention to auction this piece of recording history.

Get your chequebooks ready…
Old 27th May 2011
Nice!

I watch with interest!
Old 27th May 2011
Lives for gear

Amazing. Many pics of us with this console in March 69 at AR. Remember it well...

TH
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Head

Mr. Gibson,
You may already know this. But if it is of any help, if I recall correctly, four Microphone cassettes and one Main casssette from the TG12345 Mk I are at State of the Ark Studio in Richmond, London. Maybe the four Microphone cassettes are the ones missing from the left side panel on the photo you posted. Another of the Mk I microphone cassettes with the spreader control was apparently fitted to No.1 Mk II console in the early 1970s.

Best regards.
Old 27th May 2011
There's another one that was here in California back in the mid 1990's as I worked on it. The owner took it to Florida and where it is now, I don't know.
It was supposed to be the EMI from Abby Road. It was in fabulous shape too. Probably it's behind a glass case in Japan by now.
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_the_horse View Post
Mr. Gibson,
You may already know this. But if it is of any help, if I recall correctly, four Microphone cassettes and one Main casssette from the TG12345 Mk I are at State of the Ark Studio in Richmond, London. Maybe the four Microphone cassettes are the one missing from the left side panel from the photo you posted. Another of the Mk I microphone cassettes with the spreader control was apparently fitted to No.1 Mk II console in the early 1970s. Is that an Mk II microphone cassette fitted there on the seventh slot?

Best regards.
Yes, I know of the State of the Ark bits, It was me that built the sidecar mixer there. In addition to the sidecar he has a number of other channels in various states of disrepair. I also took the photo of the "Mk1" channel in the Mk2 mixer in studio 1. It was configured like that so that the classical guys could use the "Spreader" that was incorporated into the "Mk1".
The bits in the frame in the photo are not all original channels from that desk, there is a Mk3 mic channel in there as well.

Last edited by BeeGee; 27th May 2011 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
There's another one that was here in California back in the mid 1990's as I worked on it. The owner took it to Florida and where it is now, I don't know.
It was supposed to be the EMI from Abby Road. It was in fabulous shape too. Probably it's behind a glass case in Japan by now.
That sounds like the Port Barlow desk.
Not from Abbey Road, but originally in EMI's studios in the Netherlands. I think it was imported to the States by David Manley and later sold on. At some point four of the microphone channels were sold from it, an act which is now much regretted, since there is no chance of any of the current owners giving them up. As far as I know it is still somewhere in Florida.
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Nut

Wow..talk about coolness factor way off the charts!

Unfortunately, my meager engineering skills wouldn't justify me owning something like that, even if I could afford it (which I can't).

Hmmm, what do you guys think this thing will go for when fully restored, $50K, $100k? There were some Beatles prints that recently sold for some ridiculous amount at auction I was hearing on the news. This...SO much cooler.
Old 28th May 2011
Gear Nut

Lenny Kravitz would probably 10x that if he had too.

Doesn't he already own one of the other Beatles consoles and a bunch of other holy grail vintage gear?
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Hmmm, what do you guys think this thing will go for when fully restored, $50K, $100k?
add another zero to those figures and you are getting close.
Old 28th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
Close to enough zeroes?
Old 28th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
That sounds like the Port Barlow desk.
Not from Abbey Road, but originally in EMI's studios in the Netherlands. I think it was imported to the States by David Manley and later sold on. At some point four of the microphone channels were sold from it, an act which is now much regretted, since there is no chance of any of the current owners giving them up. As far as I know it is still somewhere in Florida.
Yep, that was the one, I couldn't remember his name, like who can forget a name like Port?

When I worked on it it was complete and very clean. It had treble/bass EQ.
The innards were very clean too.
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
wow a million? you think they would have kept it in working condition or even good condition for that matter. I wouldn't think that is worth a million dollars
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry to cast a downer note, but isnt this desk more than likely going to wind up like George Washington`s axe, the way the rumours are flying about what it had in it originally, etc?
Plus of course the current owners of any bits that can be proved to have been a part of this desk would also have to be persuaded to part with them in advance of any restoration and subsequent auction.

If that isnt enough to put potential buyers into hyper wary mode, I don`t know what would be.

Folks who have managed to accumulate lots of zeroes in their bank accounts dont tend to be idiots, after all...
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs more 7s View Post

Doesn't he already own one of the other Beatles consoles and a bunch of other holy grail vintage gear?
Mr Kravitz does indeed have one of the EMI REDD consoles. I think it's the 37 hes got, not the 51, but don't hold me to that.

BTW, Where did the other REDD's get to?

Last edited by DanDaMan; 28th May 2011 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Addict

cool mixer
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Referring to the OP's big picture in his opening post, I am not really interested in the console as great as it might be.

I would be interested in taking the Studer and the AEG / Telefunken 1/2" machines shown in the picture on board. If they are for sale, Bee Gee, please be in touch.

with thanks,

HudSonic
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Looks great. I hope you can get it back to its original configuration
I have heard stuff tracked through a single TG channel here and it added "meat" that i have never heard from any other console...

On another note, if the Pro-One in the background is for sale - i'll buy it. Dead or alive (for my own studio)

AK
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

I have an EMI TG 12345 MKIII Sidecar and it is AMAZING. Nothing else sounds like EMI
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Mr Kravitz does indeed have one of the EMI REDD consoles. I think it's the 37 hes got, not the 51, but don't hold me to that.

Dan,
The REDD 51 is at Mark Knopfler's studio in London...
I believe it was found in Italy!
He also has a EMI TG desk...

It's appearently a "private" studio...

Best,
Tom
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Sorry to cast a downer note, but isnt this desk more than likely going to wind up like George Washington`s axe, the way the rumours are flying about what it had in it originally, etc?
Plus of course the current owners of any bits that can be proved to have been a part of this desk would also have to be persuaded to part with them in advance of any restoration and subsequent auction.

If that isnt enough to put potential buyers into hyper wary mode, I don`t know what would be.

Folks who have managed to accumulate lots of zeroes in their bank accounts dont tend to be idiots, after all...

Well, if it's put back into its original state,
then I hope it stays that way, and if it does
it would be a nice investment if you had
a lot of dough...
As long as it's used to make great sounding
records, then I'm all for it!

Best,
Tom
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by needs more 7s View Post

Probably, but then again, has he used his vintage
gear and made a nice sounding record since
"Circus"?!??
Me thinks not...

Best,
Tom
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

All tube desks should be restored. They're superior.
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

For whatever mysterious reason I cannot understand there is a part of myself that feels satisfied the desk is owned by Mark Knopfler.

Maybe I just don't like to see items of high cultural value disapear in the obscure collections of mostly unkown and rich private collectors.

What a foolishly utopic statement that is heh
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tom View Post
Dan,
The REDD 51 is at Mark Knopfler's studio in London...
I believe it was found in Italy!
He also has a EMI TG desk...

It's appearently a "private" studio...

Best,
Tom
Oooh cheers for the information Tom Shame it's a private studio though
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
+1
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Here's one I restored earlier:

BTW.
Mark Knopfler's studio is not 'private' and can be hired.
However, it doesn't come cheap and it comes with conditions.
If your budget runs to "AIR" and "Abbey Road" studio rates then you might be able to afford it.
www.britishgrovestudios.com
Old 29th May 2011
I can't believe that guy just posted a 'theatre mixer' in a lost Beatles mixer thread.

Quote:
I always thought Lenny had all the old Beatles equipment.
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
BTW.
Mark Knopfler's studio is not 'private' and can be hired.
However, it doesn't come cheap and it comes with conditions.
If your budget runs to "AIR" and "Abbey Road" studio rates then you might be able to afford it.
www.britishgrovestudios.com
What kind of conditions? I'm intrigued now heh
Old 29th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post

If I recall correctly, the REDD desk Kravitz owns is the REDD.37 that stood in Control Room 1 during most of the 1960s, which you can spot Geoff Emerick operating at 1:08 here. Dan Alexander, from Hyde Street Studios, Oakland, was the previous owner, and the desk is nowadays at Gregory Sound Studios, Bahamas.

Regards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search