The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 3124 phantom power incompatibility with C414s?? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Maniac

API 3124 phantom power incompatibility with C414s??

Hey everyone,

I have a new 3124 and a few new C414 mics. I've discovered phantom power on the 3124 does not play nicely with them, aka I can't change any settings, its like its in the locked mode, but its not. Any other pre I can change everything just fine. Any thoughts? Bad 3124? Normal??

How easy is it to check the phantom power voltage, just a volt meter on the xlr out?

Morgan
Old 27th May 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like a problem with the 3124. Up until the end of last year I had three 3124s and multiple 414s (EBs, B/ULSs, TL II) and never had an issue with the phantom power.
Old 27th May 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn View Post
I've discovered phantom power on the 3124 does not play nicely with them, aka I can't change any settings, its like its in the locked mode, but its not. Any other pre I can change everything just fine. Any thoughts? Bad 3124? Normal??
Maybe I missed a memo - but last I looked the "settings" on a C 414 were changed via hardware switches - which should work without a struggle.

Take a meter and measure between pin1 and pin2 on the XLR output of the 3124 - you should have +48vdc [±3db]. If that is proper, then check between pin1 and pin3 -- you should get EXACTLY the same reading. I don't know the current draw for a C 414 but I sincerely doubt its more than 10mA.

If there is insufficient power you could have a problem creating different polar patterns... but frankly phantom power is such an easy and mundane event I would sincerely doubt you'd be having a "phantom power" struggle if the microphone is working at all.

Best of luck with your quest!!
Old 27th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a new 3124 and a few new C414 mics. I've discovered phantom power on the 3124 does not play nicely with them, aka I can't change any settings, its like its in the locked mode, but its not. Any other pre I can change everything just fine. Any thoughts? Bad 3124? Normal??

How easy is it to check the phantom power voltage, just a volt meter on the xlr out?

Morgan
Like Mentioned above check at XLR with NO mic..
The older 414's drew more current than some of the newer ones..around 7ma.
But you could check it with the mic plugged in, voltage will be far less, around 30V..OR less...depending on current the mic draws..
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

sorry you're having trouble. No problems with any of channels on my 3124+ or my two c414bxls mics. You might be overlooking the source of your problem.
Old 28th May 2011
Gear Maniac

I'll grab a volt meter tomorrow. The c414's work fine with my chandlers, pacifcas and phoenix audio pres.
Old 28th May 2011
Gear Nut

I have a couple 414xls' and they've been workhorses. I recall reading once (I've never actally tried it though) that the settings on the 414 can be "locked" by holding a couple of the switches down or something. Have you tried this?

DISCLAIMER: It was just a suggestion, and I take no responsibility for your fried 414 after "all button mode" is attempted.
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

API 3124 phantom power incompatibility with C414s??

414xls here. Only a couple months old. Of course with the annoying switching system.
They get along great with the 3124.
Good luck.
Old 28th May 2011
Lives for gear

Most likely an API QC problem. I have seen a few 3124's with problems direct from the factory. I own a brand new one that "pops" when you touch its top cover. (not from static electricity but because the daughterboard that runs along the inside top of the unit is poorly insulated from the top cover) I personally feel like that particular product is poorly designed.
Old 29th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Maybe I missed a memo - but last I looked the "settings" on a C 414 were changed via hardware switches - which should work without a struggle.
I believe the OP is referring to the current models that employ electronic switches...
Old 29th May 2011
member no 666

Then I guess I did miss a memo... it happens.
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Maniac

Phantom power on the API is like 24.5 and my other pres are 47.5-48.

Seems like an awfully convenient number?
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Maniac

Api 3124Mb+ and Akg 414 TLII here, everything works fine!
Old 17th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJanuary View Post
Most likely an API QC problem. I have seen a few 3124's with problems direct from the factory. I own a brand new one that "pops" when you touch its top cover. (not from static electricity but because the daughterboard that runs along the inside top of the unit is poorly insulated from the top cover) I personally feel like that particular product is poorly designed.
I just wanted to let the community know that we had this problem as well. 3124 was new from the factory and not getting +48v to the mic. Simple fix was using a thin piece of cardboard to keep the daughterboard from grounding out on the metal top cover. Along these same lines I would suggest giving the unit its proper space in a rack and never stacking anything on top of it (just like the rest of our precious gear lol).
Cheers,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search