The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing between API 3124m+ or MP-2nv
Old 27th August 2002
Gear Head

Choosing between API 3124m+ or MP-2nv

So I sold all my extraneous gear and amps and now have the money for a high end pre. The sound I am looking for is an in your face, very ballsy, crunchy sound on drumset, which is the instrument I play. I am using 3-4 mikes max. I have narrowed my choices down to the MP-2nv and API 3124m+. Which preamp breaks up the sound in a more pleasing way? I have heard that API does this well, and the addition of 2 more preamps and a mixer is very tempting. But the Great River has the input and output volumes which the API doesn't have. Thought, comments, suggestions? Thanks!!
MG
Old 28th August 2002
Gear Maniac

Re: Choosing between API 3124m+ or MP-2nv

Quote:
Originally posted by Manny Grossman
The sound I am looking for is an in your face, very ballsy, crunchy sound on drumset, which is the instrument I play.

In your face, and cruncy are buzzwords that are usually assoicated with things that compression can achieve on a drum mix to me, or at least the adjectives. As far as trying to achieve those described sounds, it's a mix of the kit, the room, the mic technique, the mic's used, and then part of the credit also goes to the preamp. Oh, and your playing style really is a big variable too. I can get a rather smooth airy drum sound with schoeps placed 10' above a kit into APIs - I'n a room that has a nice decay...

I am using 3-4 mikes max.

Are you looking to capture your kit with an overhead pair - and then just suppliment the kick and/or snare in the mix? Or are you looking to do something like the 3-mic technique as such:
http://www.mercenary.com/3micdrumstuf.html

I have narrowed my choices down to the MP-2nv and API 3124m+. Which preamp breaks up the sound in a more pleasing way? I have heard that API does this well, and the addition of 2 more preamps and a mixer is very tempting. But the Great River has the input and output volumes which the API doesn't have. Thought, comments, suggestions? Thanks!!
MG
I own an older API 3124-M, and have used the NV enough to see why people dig it so much. The biggest different you will hear off the bat (as in the difference you will hear walking around the room/hallway listening to playback to get a feel for the vibe, rather than staring at the speakers) - is in the high end detail. The one thing I found about the NV that not many others describe is it's high end response. The NV defiantly makes it very hard for me to desribe a sound that is a mix of transparent and dark. It seems to give you a great deep view into the sonic picture, with shades on. The APIs seem to me to push the sound alittle closer to you, and leave the high's as a smooth yet subtle extension of the image. The NV also has a very deep quality to it's low end that is comforting to have more so that other preamps.

They are both killer preamps, and if used along with other good things they could both work well for you.. If I had the NV also - I'd probbably make that my overhead or room pair pre - yet on some sessions I might want something more "clean and natural" - it all depends on what you are going for.

The 4 channels of API cost a bit more than 2 channels of NV - I went for 4 channels of API because I like the sound alot, yet do not always want to use APIs. It would be good to look into the thought of getting an NV and also another 2-channel clean pre like a RNP or perhaps a Buzz Audio pre. You could get your nice dark yet smooth sound of the overheads from the NV if you want, and incredible detail on kick and snare from the clean pre - or swap them out and go for clean picture up top, and darker image on the kik/snr.

As Dave Martin sais, not only do you need one of each - you need two of each...

And as others say, rent some stuff or find a place with a fair return policy.

good luck...
Old 28th August 2002
Mixer option rocks! I wish I got that on my API unit

DOH! I shoulda known.....

tut
Old 28th August 2002
Lives for gear

API API API......

even though i may be a Neve Slut! (tm) i love API

The sheer usefulness and flexibility of the mixer will proves it weight in gold in so many different situations, and besides it totally kiks ass and its gots DI's too!!

Get the GR NV later.. they too will be worthy in other uses and situations and as another flavoiur of preamp.

PEACE
Wiggy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search