The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide 2016 vs Lexicon PCM70 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Addict

Eventide 2016 vs Lexicon PCM70

Hi Guys,

Having tried the newer lexicon pcm96 and bricasti M7, and while both sound amazing in their own right, for some strange reason I seem to be drawn to the sound of the older units over the super smooth hi-fi sounding reverbs.

I had a pcm70 on loan a few months back and really loved the depth of that box and how the reverb sat in the mix. More recently, I have been looking into the Eventide 2016 and have really been impressed with what I have heard (unfortunately just samples from the web as I hav'nt been able to acquire a demo unit). Just to note a 480l/300 etc... is a bit unattainable for me atm.

Just looking for advice from anyone with experience of either unit. I was all set to pick up a pcm70 until I heard the 2016 and now it’s got me thinking. From what I heard the longer verbs sounded fantastic and had that big 80's ballady vibe which I love, but can it do the short spaces thing as good ,like the famous tiled room in the pcm70? Also as a by the way, im using the Eclipse for general effects.

Thanks
Old 25th May 2011
TRW
Lives for gear

Personally think the 2016 eats the 70, but they are very different, have used both v2 and v3 70's and have a 2016.

There are cool delays and obs tiled room (v2) and some really nice rich plates, soft and smeary lexi sound. Interface is kinda annoying compared to modern devices but it is simple to use.

The 2016 is more of a 2-trick pony (less tweakable), faster to use, sits in the mix wonderfully, sounds great super short or super long and anywhere in between, has a very unique splash and glue. It is a must have reverb for me.

-T
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

I have two 2016s in my studio. I also made the samples you are referring to.

On my last project, I made a conscious effort to utilize the shorter verbs on the 2016s to help the clarity of the vocals in a mix, and it did a great job. The 2016 is also excellent on snare.

It's hard to get a bad sound out of these things. I chose the 2016 over the Lexicons because of the interface - I am a tweaker and cannot stand menu diving. The knobby interface of the 2016 is so immediate and fast.
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the response guys. Yes the 2016 seems to be really loved by those who have used it. Very nice files real mc.

TRW, can the 2016 do something similar to the pcm70 tiled room in its small rooms? Does the box have similar depth?
Old 25th May 2011
TRW
Lives for gear

Personally I prefer it to the tiled room... I think it just sits better.

Especially on drums (kick etc).

-T
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 27th May 2011
Lives for gear

Personally I like the SP2016 it eats the lexicon alive. I have never heard the reissue 2016. But the vintage unit ROCKS!!!
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Nut

The 2016 was a very cool unit but very noisy. We had a bunch of custom chips for it, non-linier reverb and a vocoder if I remember correctly.
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Addict

I vote lexicon. More versatile.
Old 27th May 2011
Lives for gear

I have 2 and noise has never been an issue. The stereo room program is AWESOME!!!
Old 17th June 2011
Lives for gear

Yeap........ 1981-1996 Original Eventide branded box - Slider using the Stereo Room Preset, a Glue that bound more the particles in a mix then 2" Tape together, the other Quanteq/480L Mix Glue that so many in the USA didn't afford the use.

Life was worse in the UK (Think Thatcher & Poll Tax + Miners & riots w/ Low Quid) & Lex prices were prohibitive to use! - it was King in 1980'-89 UK as well as the Emulator 2, Fairlight 11cx, Linn Drum & 224XL - though Eventide Owned the 80's for FX and that reverb with the Lex 224XL costing much more!

PCM70 -Lush for the few algo's - Plate, Res Chords, Hall, Chamber - Man.. Res chords on a 224Xl freaked me out -on a PCM 80-42 secs Res Chord delay - Splendour! ahhhhh. Splendour!

Had Lexicon released a Keyboard for the PrimeTimes - it would have been a serious pie fight! Though from memory Primetime delays were deemed for Guitarists? Go figure, then try to get an original 2016 Eventide Reverb - 3-4K plus! Courtesy Mr. Gabrial who owns 4 as I understand!

Simply MHO
TLB
Old 16th May 2015
Here for the gear

Eventide 2016

Interesting stuff! Can somebody tell me if the Eventide 2016 is capable of producing a reverb similar to the one in Celine Dion's Titanic song, "My heart will go on", right after the modulation, where she sings strongfully "You're here, there's nothing I fear...") ?
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwolf View Post
Interesting stuff! Can somebody tell me if the Eventide 2016 is capable of producing a reverb similar to the one in Celine Dion's Titanic song, "My heart will go on", right after the modulation, where she sings strongfully "You're here, there's nothing I fear...") ?
Not my kind of music but I seem to remember they used the AMS DMX "Ambience" program.
Don't know if you can get close with the 2016 though.
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by flwolf View Post
Sounded like a delay to me.
Old 18th May 2015
Here for the gear

Reverb tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
Sounded like a delay to me.
There might be some reflection mixed in the reverb, but I doubt that the endlessly long reverb tail comes from delay unit. I have recorded in many studios as a musician and I know how for example a Lexicon 224 sounds and the long, clean tails it can produce. Of course, for home recording, the cost of such a unit is prohibitive, at least for me. Thanks for your response anyway.
Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

The 2016 is geared for ROOM and PLATE verbs. Forget about lush HALL on it.
The verbs are very old style as no modulation or randomization is available.
Lexicon HALLs is something else and modulation or randomization is there (Concert Hall or Random Hall). The PCM70 has Concert Hall and is definitely a more versatile unit where reverb alone can be tweaked at deeper levels.
Quick tweaking small/medium spaces are the 2016 forte but anything larger than that... ain't its mission. So it really depends on what you need...
Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

There are some mp3's of the 2016 here if that helps:

Eventide Princeton Digital 2016 demo mp3s

I have one in my rack that I use for a room setting generally for guitar and keys. I have a Lexicon 300 for the Lexicon vibe and have not used a PCM70 in decades.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search