The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
u87 shock mount
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Addict

u87 shock mount

First post, long time lurker.

anyone got experience with shockmount replacements for 87's? I have been looking at oem ones, but don't think, functionally, they're worth paying extra for. So far, buying a new condenser that comes with one seems like the best option. Anyone had experience replacing one of these? thx
Old 28th February 2006
Lives for gear

I just got one from Peluso Mic Labs. Great stuff for 89$.
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Maniac

I bought one of the Blue mounts and have been happy with it. Blue typically sells them a little cheaper on eBay than on their vintage microphones web site...

-Rick
Old 28th February 2006
Lives for gear

easy...I throw my u87s in the ones below:

www.shockmount.com

cheap, rugged, dependable..

they fit all of my mics including my schoeps CMC6xx, my gefell m300s, m930s, my akg c426b, u87s.....

the drummer for pavement..its his company.
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRay
easy...I throw my u87s in the ones below:

www.shockmount.com

cheap, rugged, dependable..

they fit all of my mics including my schoeps CMC6xx, my gefell m300s, m930s, my akg c426b, u87s.....

the drummer for pavement..its his company.
is the pop filter a pos that comes on the 87 combo on their site? Everyone keeps telling me to get a stedman, but I have a nylon one now that "seems" fine. I guess I don't have any basis for comparison
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknroll
I bought one of the Blue mounts and have been happy with it. Blue typically sells them a little cheaper on eBay than on their vintage microphones web site...

-Rick
those things run 175 new I believe... I could probably get a low end mic that will come with one for that. If it were a noticably better shockmount, I wouldn't have a problem paying more, I just don't know how much shock my 87 will ever receive anyway :P

thanks for the replies so far, this forum rocks.
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
those things run 175 new I believe... I could probably get a low end mic that will come with one for that. If it were a noticably better shockmount, I wouldn't have a problem paying more, I just don't know how much shock my 87 will ever receive anyway :P
I got mine new from Blue on eBay for $145. It is a much better shock mount than the generic ones I've used. I have a couple of Sabrasom mounts, and while they're okay, the Blue mount is more secure and is definitely higher quality. I originally assumed you wanted something nice, since this is the "high end" forum, but if not, I'm sure there are any number of cheaper universal mounts that will work.

-Rick
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

I've used a Rode NT2 shockmount with a U87ai.
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknroll
I got mine new from Blue on eBay for $145. It is a much better shock mount than the generic ones I've used. I have a couple of Sabrasom mounts, and while they're okay, the Blue mount is more secure and is definitely higher quality. I originally assumed you wanted something nice, since this is the "high end" forum, but if not, I'm sure there are any number of cheaper universal mounts that will work.

-Rick
i do want nice. Most products have a quality difference that is noticable, I have not however, experienced this with shockmounts, hence my indifference. If the blue mount has better isolation then say no more. I am sold. Being secure is also a HUGE plus. the ones from shockmount.com look a little less than secure, and I don't want my baby to take a 5 foot drop.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Company shockmount prices are damn ridiculous. I couldnt reccomend someone a 300 dollar metal hunk when I can reccomend a 35 dollar one that will do the trick.
Ive used the stock ones, expensive ones, and these...the shockmount.com ones are more than adequate...dont pay hundreds for a 20-30 dollar piece.

damn robbery.

Teddy
Old 1st March 2006

I use the shocks that are made for AT4033. Can find them occassionally on Ebay for around $30-$40. It does require a little work but they have worked very well, providing excellent shock rejection, similar to neumann shocks.I have purchased and then tossed many of the generic ones sold due to very poor isolation characteristics.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Not to hijack but whats the best place to get a shockmount and power supply for a Neumann M147?
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

I use ADK shock mounts for my U89's. I believe they make one for their larger size ADK mic that would fit the U87 nicely. Probably $50 or less (mine were $36, they are metal and very solid looking and feeling)

FWIW, the ADK LE mounts I use fit the U89 perfectly. The only thing they don't do is screw in like the stock mount, but I don't plan on using these upside down anyway...

Dirk
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

They are completely secure...I dont want my mics to fall either..and they never have...it is rock solid, or I wouldntve reccomended it to you. You think id pass on somehting that I did not use myself??I have a lot of expensive mics and am completely comfortable with those...If looks and spending a lot of money mean a lot, then carry on...if reliability and security without paying a lot of money will do then shockmount.com gear works well. I own the expensive ones because I bought them like a dumbass when I couldve bought something else.
Quote:
i do want nice. Most products have a quality difference that is noticable, I have not however, experienced this with shockmounts, hence my indifference. If the blue mount has better isolation then say no more. I am sold. Being secure is also a HUGE plus. the ones from shockmount.com look a little less than secure, and I don't want my baby to take a 5 foot drop.
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I hear ya...I used to think paying more than $50 for a shock mount was ridiculous, but my experience has been that like with so many other things, you get what you pay for. Have you ever used one of those cheap Studio Projects or MXL mics? The shock mounts made for those things suck. They will hold the mic up, but they are typically harder to adjust and not as secure. I was using the universal mounts (like the ones at shockmount.com) with everything, but they seem to work best when your mics are positioned completely vertically. When you start putting mics up at different angles, the weight of the cable and mic begins to affect the position of the mic in the mount, and I find it annoying trying to juggle the mic's and cable's weight against the elastic bands. One option is to buy one of the mounts from shockmount.com and see if it works. Who knows...you may be pleasantly surprised, although my experience with that kind of mount suggests otherwise. If it doesn't work out, you're only out $25 and you will know for certain. Something I find funny about the site is that if you click on the studio page, the one large diaphragm mic pictured (bottom right photo) is in a regular shock mount and not in one of the mounts he's selling!

-Rick
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

I use a shockmount from my AT 4050 for my u87.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 24th November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoymusic View Post
See this shock mount:Microphone Shock Mount for Neumann TLM170 M150 TLM193 D01 U87 U89i Suspension Holder Clip Recording Studio Audio Replacement -Wholesales Directly from China
It can fit almost all of the Neumann microphones:TLM193 TLM 49 TLM 50 TLM 67 TLM170 TLM170R TLM170MT TLM170RMT TLM127 M147 M149 Tube M150 D-01 U47 U87 U87 ai U89i U89iMT..
OK - a resurrection of a 10-year old thread

The suspension on that link looks pretty horrible - especially for a mic. costing £2k.

The best inexpensive suspension for a Neumann is definitely the Rycote USM or USM-L (the latter is best if vertically mounted - the former if you want to angle the mic.).
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard View Post
Company shockmount prices are damn ridiculous. I couldnt reccomend someone a 300 dollar metal hunk when I can reccomend a 35 dollar one that will do the trick.
Ive used the stock ones, expensive ones, and these...the shockmount.com ones are more than adequate...dont pay hundreds for a 20-30 dollar piece.

damn robbery.

Teddy
I bought one for my U87 on this recommendation. I've been using the audio technica one for years and its a real POS. I hate it. The rubber band pops off and its increasingly less stable. I'll report back how pavement drummer rando company's universal works out. The construction looks really simple and kind of genius. Worth a shot for 27 bucks! 37 with pop filter, so dope.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search