The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
songs or albums MIXED on the AWS 900 ??? Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

songs or albums MIXED on the AWS 900 ???

Hi all. Can anyone tell me of any songs or albums they KNOW to be mixed on an AWS
I used one for tracking a few years back, but was such a brief drunken session I really don't remember much.

Looking to go the 948 route in November, and have a demo session booked in for next month, but the ants are in the pants, brain, and generally starting to give me a little sweat - so would love to hear a a project mixed on at least the 900

so if you know, let me know..........and YES I have searched, googled, binged, and emailed everyone I know
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Head

if memory serves, Michael Wagener has had one at his studio for a while (might be a duality I can't remember). Might be worth checking out his website in order to find some albums mixed through one.
Old 18th May 2011
Yes Michael has one. Maybe take a listen to the recent released album by Lordi.
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Live From Daryl's House with Daryl Hall :: Homepage
episode 22 thru all current episodes
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear
i understand a fairly recent Streisand record was mixed at her house on a rented AWS. just googled and found this: http://www.recordproduction.com/ssl-aws-900.htm
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Nut

i believe ken lewis uses one... so anything he's done would fall into this category.
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
Guess you got paid!!!
Those shows sound great!
even the earlier ones...
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Head

Trent reznor has one if I'm not mistaken so I guess some NIN stuff and certainly How to destroy angels' free album.

don't know about NIN though, maybe it's just for demos...

Maybe check the social network OST by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross?
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

If Trent Reznor has one then it's possible the entire soundtrack to 'The Social Network' could have been mixed on the AWS. He did the soundtrack if I'm not mistaken.
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Jack Johnson's album before "to the sea" was mixed on an AWS900 if the articles ive read are to be belived
Old 19th May 2011
Gear Addict

I mixed an album on the first-gen AWS900 a couple of years ago. It was an acoustic-based male singer-songwriter called Nat Hardwick, with some great musicians involved. I don't know if that's the genre of the stuff you're doing? It should be up on iTunes, the 2 best tracks are probably "Words Unspoken" and "Everybody Else", or "Smash The Glass" for something that has a bit of programming and electronics as well. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you something.

Lovely sounding desk, IMHO. Automation works flawlessly, too.
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice!!! those toms sound huge, in fact so does the whole kit.

how'd you get it sounding like that? from the videos i cant even see an overhead!
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help -

aidyhall, nice sounding record - im getting ready to pull the trigger on the 948 with some 1081r mic pres for the first 6 channels arrrrggggh
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra by Andy Sneap was mixed in an AWS 900+
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

thanks sptz.

off topic I know, but I have never understood mixing a metal record like that.......Clean
feels like im watching it on a tv rather than being enveloped by it. The drums should sound HUGE, the strings full and lush......and well just generally more MEAT to everything
I think its the Drum&bass head in me
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweedrummer View Post
Nice!!! those toms sound huge, in fact so does the whole kit.

how'd you get it sounding like that? from the videos i cant even see an overhead!
Thanks, I have AKG C451'S as direct overheads & a AT8025 stereo as a kit capture mic as well as a Crown SASS for room, Audix D4'S on toms.
I pay a lot of attention to the details of my recording and signal path. I make sure that all cables are 22Awg Planet Waves stuff and great front end pre's & Radial Di's...... it all adds up and makes it better when i mix it.
Our director (and me too) likes to use the minimal mic stands so it will not block the camera shots, so i clamp the overheads to a beam.
I posted all the current details about my setup here and try to update it as much as possible:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6613769-post118.html
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Maniac

I've done quite a few sessions on the AWS900. Its a great sounding little board. It doesnt have quite as much balls as the 4kG imo but i'd LOVE to own one.
I love how easily and seamlessly it integrates with the daw. A few of the mixes which i've done which speak to me most were done on the AWS.

buy it and dont look back!
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

whats funny is that if you racked up the SSL modules and put them in a outboard rack, people would go "WOW, i love those and wanna track thru them"...... but for some reason when you have them in a console in front of you they have less "WOW" appeal.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
whats funny is that if you racked up the SSL modules and put them in a outboard rack, people would go "WOW, i love those and wanna track thru them"...... but for some reason when you have them in a console in front of you they have less "WOW" appeal.
Really?! I think the opposite. I'd be much more excited having the bussing capabilities of the desk with automation & DAW integration.

And I think they're sexy consoles.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
since when did ssl modules have sex appeal? sorry but i have never seen anyone going nuts over ssl outboard. their consoles were mainly popular due to their automation and channel dynamics.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
since when did ssl modules have sex appeal?
80'S-Now.
I guess the track record of hits created on them does not count as an opinion.
I love mine, but to each his own........
for anyone interested in a AWS, i suggest trying one and see for yourself if it fits your sound & style. Go to a studio with one and mix something or contact SSL for a demo and let the console speak for itself...... thats the best opinion youre gonna get.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
80'S-Now.
I guess the track record of hits created on them does not count as an opinion.
I love mine, but to each his own........
for anyone interested in a AWS, i suggest trying one and see for yourself if it fits your sound & style. Go to a studio with one and mix something or contact SSL for a demo and let the console speak for itself...... thats the best opinion youre gonna get.
yes, fair enough. its all a matter of taste. and what i find boring some might find just right! i guess they wouldnt like my stuff :-)
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

but, is this really the kind of engineering you want to spend that kind of money on? its really expensive! its about the most un-sexy parts i have ever seen in any module .-) guess its just me again in my vintage craze. ignore me. but i prefer consoles that use real parts and not just opamps.

songs or albums MIXED on the AWS 900 ???-aws900_channel_strip_1_large.jpg
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Switchfoot "Hello Hurricane" mixed by Adam Hawkins on a first gen AWS 900 with lots of outboard gear.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

If anyone is in NY and wants to try a mix on a AWS900+SE, hit me up and ill work something out with you. My schedule is busy always, but i love talking with other gearheads and helping others make an important decision like a new console....... that's what i'd want too if i was looking again for another console.
I have a fantastic array of outboard gear too.
Also don't be afraid to call SSL and talk to a rep. They are all GREAT PEOPLE!
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
but, is this really the kind of engineering you want to spend that kind of money on? its really expensive! its about the most un-sexy parts i have ever seen in any module .-) guess its just me again in my vintage craze. ignore me. but i prefer consoles that use real parts and not just opamps.

Attachment 236321
My ears can't see the parts......... and yes that does look as badass as it sounds.

Ever look inside a GML Eq?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...s-img_1716.jpg
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
Jack Johnson's album before "to the sea" was mixed on an AWS900 if the articles ive read are to be belived
"sleep through the static"
tracking & mixing was done entirely in the analogue domain through an AWS900, studer (827 IIRC) and heaps of outboard with the mixes being printed to DSD.
sounds amazing, one of my favourite album mixes.
Old 24th May 2011
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

salomonander.........

You do what you want with your £70,000, and I'll do mine
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by naths101 View Post
"sleep through the static"
tracking & mixing was done entirely in the analogue domain through an AWS900, studer (827 IIRC) and heaps of outboard with the mixes being printed to DSD.
sounds amazing, one of my favourite album mixes.
That must have been a nightmare session since the AWS doesn't have monitor section...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search