The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Larger than life, big sounding mics Condenser Microphones
Old 11th July 2011
Here for the gear

"black pearl" by martin kantola sounds similar to a great u47 with more clarity on the top end
Old 23rd November 2017
Here for the gear
I'm looking for a microphone that offers the biggest, up front and in your face sound. Preferably a tube mic with patterns for versatility. Something that can also control sibilant sounds the best. I've seen the lauden oceanus, u47 clones (pearlman, wunder, peluso stam, warm audio) Besides those, Any suggestions?
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabeat View Post
I'm looking for a microphone that offers the biggest, up front and in your face sound. Preferably a tube mic with patterns for versatility. Something that can also control sibilant sounds the best. I've seen the lauden oceanus, u47 clones (pearlman, wunder, peluso stam, warm audio) Besides those, Any suggestions?
AEA R44 is big.

Lots of mics can sound big- proximity, compression and reverb in the hands of a skilled engineer can do wonders.
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
innerTube Audio !!!!
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suggest 3 paths, all are modern mics to avoid vintage cost and service issues. All are multi pattern options.

1. Horch RM2J - Huge sounding M49 & U47 voiced mic, absolutely on par with vintage mics, must be heard to be believed. I suggest the original MK 1 version. $3.5-4K used.

https://reverb.com/item/6514062-horch-rm2j-90s-black
https://reverb.com/item/6062238-horch-rm2j

2. Chandler REDD Mic - New bad boy on the block. It sits between a C800G and 251 with a bit of 47 mid. $4.5 new.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ReddMic

3. U87ai w/Innertube C12 kit & Max 67 Kit - This would give you 3 full mic's (U87ai, U67, and C12) and each take just a few minutes to swap the insides. $6K new or $4K used.
Old 26th November 2017
I'd pick another Lauten mic for "in your face" with the Atlantis or Eden having a bigger sound. Pearlman TM1/47 are both great vocal mics with a big sound.
If you're looking for 47 clones here is an out take of the VK shootout.

www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe/u47s
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Josephson C716

Manley Reference Cardioid. I agree about the Blue Kiwi, but sometimes the highs are too much.

Recently got an AEA R44c - definitely huge, not as in your face - love it
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear
Thank you everyone who has written back to me! This really helped out so much! I'm very grateful! I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Bock 195 w/ fat switch
Old 4th December 2017
A great compressor like the Mercury 66, the Amtec 099 or the Pom Fairchild can triple the size of any half decent mic. Otherwise - Horch, Chandler REDD, AEA, Blackspade, Sony C800G and Nordic spring to mind.
Old 16th January 2018
Here for the gear
Hey everyone! So I recently tried out the mxl Revelation. Figured I give it a try for $400 that originally sells for around $800-1500. After receiving it, the power supply was defective. To be honest, I wasn't too pleased on the make and quality; seemed rushed, small imperfections on paint etc. It was more like "how many can we mass produce for profit and forget about detail". Bottom line, the MXL didn't give me that wow factor when I opened it. I guess everything happens for a reason. So it's back to the drawing board. I really need your guys help. The previous suggestions were great and I am grateful, but some were out of my price range. So here's what I'm looking for.

Something that can control sibilant p and s sounds the best, something that has patterns, is HUGE sounding and doesn't lack detail, good with aggressive, loud, passionate hip hop, pop, R&B and rap vocals. Mostly for male but If you guys know something that works for both male and female, even better! All of these requirements are really important! I know you guys have the answers! I need a microphone that's here to stay in the studio. If It helps, my vocals are about an alto. I wanted to share this with the Gearslutz; I get huge inspiration from Linkin Park. My vocals kind of sit in between Chester Bennington's higher vocals and Mike Shinoda's lower vocals. I'm intrigued to know your thoughts! Its like opening a gift but through messages!
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Hmmm, yet whenever I happen to recommend the 90's MD1 it always just sinks away in the thread as they talk about 4047's and whatever........one of the most exciting sounding mics I ever heard. Musical and exciting. Sings for you a little bit.....
Hey the 4047 is a great mic, man i love it! But i must check out the md1a
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

This is the High End where price is not the issue, you'll want to ask around in other areas for budget mic advise.

FWIW, go to the classifieds section and pick up that Lawson L47MP that is being sold for $1125, you'll not find a bigger sound mic for under $2K IMHO.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Original ELA M 251 thru vintage pre to tape ain't bad. Or, singing close, touching wind screen, no pop filter, into original U47 ...quite nice. RCA ribbons in good room is larger than most people's life as well, lol.

The list could go on.
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
This is the High End where price is not the issue, you'll want to ask around in other areas for budget mic advise.

FWIW, go to the classifieds section and pick up that Lawson L47MP that is being sold for $1125, you'll not find a bigger sound mic for under $2K IMHO.
With under one grand price point which mics would you recommend for this criteria?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search