The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronic 2290 delay, can it sync tempo via midi? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

TC Electronic 2290 delay, can it sync tempo via midi?

Guess the title says it all heh

Love any help.

Thanks!

-a
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Guess the title says it all heh

Love any help.

Thanks!

-a
Little help? Please.
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Maniac

It does not say anything regarding sync via midi in the manual. I don't think it can.
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye View Post
It does not say anything regarding sync via midi in the manual. I don't think it can.
Oh bummer Why have midi without sync?

Well, thank you for the help, much appreciated

-andrews
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Nut

Program change ... for one. Great delay, I have one in my rack but short on features when compared to modern day units.
Old 15th May 2011
I was bummed to find that my Line6 Pod X3 Live can't sync to midi tempo for delays and stuff.

Come on - this is the 21st century, and we have had MIDI since the 80's and it's just crazy that modern delays can't sync like the old school stuff ...

Practically all plugin delays can sync to tempo. It's annoying when hardware makers aren't even trying to be helpful.
Old 16th May 2011
Lives for gear
You might want to bear in mind the 2290 was designed 25 years ago before you bitch them out.
Old 17th May 2011
Gear Head

The TC 2290 definitely cannot sync to MIDI Clock or MIDI Timecode, so no, you can't sync to the BPM of another device or a host computer.

That said, MIDI sync isn't really necessary. Just set the delay time in milliseconds corresponding to your song's BPM, and you're good to go. It will never go out of sync unless the song's BPM changes halfway through.
Old 9th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditabeardmemo View Post
The TC 2290 definitely cannot sync to MIDI Clock or MIDI Timecode, so no, you can't sync to the BPM of another device or a host computer.

That said, MIDI sync isn't really necessary. Just set the delay time in milliseconds corresponding to your song's BPM, and you're good to go. It will never go out of sync unless the song's BPM changes halfway through.
----Yep, thats how we did it in the olden days [60000 / bpm gives ms mseconds per beat], pick your intervals(deduct any pre delay from overall interval sought), my printed bit of paper with all the most used bpms on and their respective reflection times for different note intervals, or sometimes use a calculator. It's no biggie but we are so spoilt these days with pre sync default intervals that work before any dialling in....
Plugins will do the calcs for you, but you must still pick the note value. 16th, dotted trips etc etc don't forget to use your ears
Actually I have a tc 2290 in my rack right now. Love it, and an AMS RMX16 would be sitting next to it apart from the prices they are now fetching, they have gone for sure. The UAD AMS PLUGIN IS SPOOKILY close and also overpriced, in a mix only an AMS lifetime user might pick it out. It really is very good indeed.
I don't want spookily close, I want an AMS I just need to pick up the courage to part with my wedge, put like this the prices are on a one way non return trip skywards. Should have bought any analogue gear that I desired.

Last edited by Analogue rocks; 2nd February 2016 at 04:00 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search