The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CAD Maxcon 32:8:2
Old 7th May 2011
Gear Maniac

CAD Maxcon 32:8:2

Hey guys, I just got a Maxcon mixing board and Im having some problems routing the sound trough the board. I can only get sound out thru headphones when I put the line in on pre fader. Does any one here has the manual? I can't find it anywhere online

Please let me know!

thanks!
Old 7th May 2011
I have a full set of blueprints, but they are huge and cannot be scanned except in a special large scanner, then reduced.

Common problems are cracked pads and very thin traces. Pots regularly become ittermittant due to poor soldering. Most of the problems are mechanical.
Old 8th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demariai View Post
Hey guys, I just got a Maxcon mixing board and Im having some problems routing the sound trough the board. I can only get sound out thru headphones when I put the line in on pre fader. Does any one here has the manual? I can't find it anywhere online

Please let me know!

thanks!
Nice console but needs constant lovin
Old 8th May 2011
Gear Maniac

I feel stupid asking this but Im not much of analog person. Here's my problem:

After having problems with the audio not getting to my outs I unplugged every single cable going/coming from patch bay and I just plugged an input source on channel 1. I can see the audio on the channel meter and I can see the signal on the master meter. If I plug headphones I can monitor that audio with no problem but I cannot hear anything from main speakers. I plugged the speaker on the channel 1 direct out and the audio is there. Do the audio go thru the submasters or aux channels before reaching the main output? I can't get a thing out of the speakers.
Also, it came with 24 Octaline channels on the right of the master section, are those used for aux channels?

If any of you fine gents can point me on the right direction I wold appreciate it for life!!!!

thanks to al!!
Old 8th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Octaline channels on the right of the master section, are those used for aux channels?

If any of you fine gents can point me on the right direction I wold appreciate it for life!!!!

thanks to al!!
The octalines are for aux returns, line ins etc.

Did you go through the line in's as opposed to the tape ins? Do you have the master 1 or 2 section? Master 2 has 4 buss strips as well as the master, the master 1 has everything on 1 strip.
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear
Hello..I don't mean to sound negative about this console. I hope your problem IS an user's problem and not a mechanical problem.!..I worked on this style board some in the 90's and even tho it was a good sounding console (when it was working....) it was plaqued with problems..It actually stayed in repair more than it actually worked..The owner after fixing and fixing and spending money, finally just sold it for about $2500 ( and this was back in the 90's when analog consoles were king..!..)..Hopefully this is not the case with yours..Good luck...
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Hello..I don't mean to sound negative about this console. I hope your problem IS an user's problem and not a mechanical problem.!..I worked on this style board some in the 90's and even tho it was a good sounding console (when it was working....) it was plaqued with problems..It actually stayed in repair more than it actually worked..The owner after fixing and fixing and spending money, finally just sold it for about $2500 ( and this was back in the 90's when analog consoles were king..!..)..Hopefully this is not the case with yours..Good luck...
Pretty much my experience too. I bought 4 different CAD's through the years and finally moved on.
Old 10th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
The octalines are for aux returns, line ins etc.

Did you go through the line in's as opposed to the tape ins? Do you have the master 1 or 2 section? Master 2 has 4 buss strips as well as the master, the master 1 has everything on 1 strip.
I used the line in's. I think it's master 1. Here's some pics of it.
By the way, If I plug something on the line in and I route it L-R only. I should get the signal on the master out without any problem right? I can't get anything on my speakers
Attached Images
File Type: png DSC03109.png (1.20 MB, 2162 views) File Type: png DSC03110.png (1.43 MB, 535 views) File Type: png DSC03111.png (1.39 MB, 762 views) File Type: png DSC03112.png (1.26 MB, 825 views) File Type: png DSC03113.png (1.27 MB, 506 views)
Old 11th May 2011
Gear Nut

Are you getting signal to the Master Buss meters?

There's two volume pots for the monitors, one for output level and a trim for each set of monitors.
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used the line in's. I think it's master 1. Here's some pics of it.
By the way, If I plug something on the line in and I route it L-R only. I should get the signal on the master out without any problem right? I can't get anything on my speakers
Yes you should get signal out of the masters.
Old 11th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Yes you should get signal out of the masters.
I do get signal on the meters but nothing on the monitors. is there any way to test the outputs on the board (where you plug the monitors) are getting something? This is what I tried:

from the back panel "Master I/O" I plug my monitors on:

- Master (XLR cable) L-R
- Mater (1/4 inche) L-R and Mono
- control room (1/4 inch) L-R

I couldn't get anything at all in any case. Do I have to plug on the back something from the buses to the main output?

thanks for the help guys!
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear
Did you try reseating your ribbon cable connectors.?..Sometimes they have a tendacy to work loose..Good luck
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Did you try reseating your ribbon cable connectors.?..Sometimes they have a tendacy to work loose..Good luck
I'll open the master section and check them later.

thanks for the tip!
Old 17th April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yep. The Maxcons were, in my opinion, a really good second prototype. The audio was good, there were some good features to the design, but it desperately needed the mechanical problems solved. Using the pots to mount the boards to the panels would have been fine with smaller input boards, but the Maxcon input boards were too heavy for that. The original thick PC boards worked ok, but after they substituted cheaper PC board material, the boards started to flex and cause all kinds of problems with the solder joints, especially at the pots.

Had CAD/Astatic management been willing to stick with the project more, to hit pause long enough to change the mechanical attachment method (maybe put all the pots on one board mounted parallel to the panel and have the signal boards hang off there using brackets to make a better mechanical connection), to take the time to investigate and remove cost where possible, to wait on the income a while longer, and honestly, been nicer to their key employees, I think the CAD Maxcons could have been a real nice product. So it goes....

Last edited by dchaustx; 17th April 2014 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Improve accuracy and clarity
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Head

hey guys,

i have the opportunity to pick one of these up for cheap but i'm really concerned about the maintenance required since it isn't fully modular. has anyone really dug into one of these and worked on it? i can do some basic maintenance and have a friend that can help with more involved fixes but i don't want it constantly going down and needing work where i can't use it. any help is really appreciated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search