The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bock ifet7?
Old 17th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey All - does anybody have more feedback on this mic?
Old 21st November 2012
Here for the gear

Awesome - Thanks David!
Old 7th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

can anyone weigh on a little more on the Bock ifet vs. the Bock 195--esp for spoken word?

I have a Bock 195 and like it but would consider upgrading if there was a clear advantage and difference.

altho I gotta say 195 FAT mode doesn't get much use around here at least for voiceover
Old 8th December 2012 | Show parent
I own an iFet7 and if the new Bock is anything like it, it's a gem. I haven't found a lot of use for the "v" setting but it gets used constantly on all sorts of things in "i" mode. Beautiful mic, SOOOOO nice on upright bass and all other things acoustic
Old 8th December 2012 | Show parent
V mode is more mid rich to my ears as compared to the I mode. I like the V mode on vocals that are a little thin.

@Rob Ellis, the iFet is definitely different to the 195. It has a bit more color overall, and is less airy in either mode as compared to the 195. Two modes give it two different sound, to my ears the V mode is the mid rich, the I mode is more top/bottom emphasis (but still different than 195 also there).
Old 31st December 2012
Here for the gear

HI. Happy holidays!

Did you tried the ifet with a trombone and a trumpet? I have a tlm 193 neumann u67, aea r92 and a royer 121. I record a lot of styles and I need to know if the dbock's ifet will print some other flavor . I'm about to buy it because i know that is u47 fet style.. thanks for your comments.
Old 31st December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
This mic is underrated for a lot of vocal duties. I love this mic on loud or screamy vocals (i.e. punk or metal). Nothing else handles it the same way. Smokes any dynamic in that application. Great for bluesy/smokey/raspy voxs too. I've had great results with female and male with it.
Nathan down through they years been through, pretty much, the whole mic box on my voice and the one that always stood out was the FET47. It just seemed to have the ability to relax when i really let fly on the rockier side of things and yet, retained the ability to be super detailed when using a more breathy voice.

You seem to be saying that this mic has that ability to capture and tame, without losing any raucous quality, a rock voice when it hits the pedal and goes for it? The old FET47 never sounded shouty in the presence upper mids band, had a certain creaminess to it that retained the bite and yet made it sound "right". is that what you are hearing from this mic?

I've always found I could "perform" with a FET47 almost like a dynamic without any of the issues some dynamic have with sounded bloated around the 800hz range on my voice. That is.. when I back off a FET47 and give it some welly... The bass doesn't vanish and the sound doesn't suddenly become thin. in the same way, when I'm in more of a "croon mode", I don't need to crowd the FET47 to make it sound good?

Reading your post and given your experience, you seem to be hinting that this mic has those fabled qualities am i right in taking that from your words?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post

You seem to be saying that this mic has that ability to capture and tame, without losing any raucous quality, a rock voice when it hits the pedal and goes for it? The old FET47 never sounded shouty in the presence upper mids band, had a certain creaminess to it that retained the bite and yet made it sound "right". is that what you are hearing from this mic?

Reading your post and given your experience, you seem to be hinting that this mic has those fabled qualities am i right in taking that from your words?
That's all correct based on what I'm hearing. The iFET sounds more even dynamically speaking, compared to something like SM7b, so the ifet needs less compression to make it sound right from the beginning. The V in particular is most like I described above, the I mode is a bit more free and top/bottom emphasis which sounds more 'modern' for lack of a better word (but still 3D, maybe a bit like a pre transformerless model Gefell where the V is reminiscent of an older U87 but a bit smoother)
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Nathan, looks like I shall have to investigate further in the New year.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mativas View Post
HI. Happy holidays!

Did you tried the ifet with a trombone and a trumpet? I have a tlm 193 neumann u67, aea r92 and a royer 121. I record a lot of styles and I need to know if the dbock's ifet will print some other flavor . I'm about to buy it because i know that is u47 fet style.. thanks for your comments.
any of you?
Old 17th February 2013 | Show parent
Has anyone compared this mic to the Korby FET or the Manley (the black one)? I need something for vocals and kick and it looks like the Bock is the front runner.
Old 18th February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottombunk View Post
Has anyone compared this mic to the Korby FET or the Manley (the black one)? I need something for vocals and kick and it looks like the Bock is the front runner.
I've compared it to the Manley. The Manley has a more upper mid forward sound (presence) compared to the Bock. The Bock is a bit punchier, where the Manley is a bit silkier. They are very different and complementary mics.
Old 22nd May 2013
Just throwing in another good word for the iFet7.

Been using the Soundelux version on outside of kick (a few inches away from the head, in "i" mode, and between the middle and the side), and the thing sounds amazing. We use it in tandem with a D12 on the inside.

As a test, we also swapped out to a Bock 195 with pad engaged. This was another strong contender. Sounds a bit less "colored" than the iFet7... less character if you will. Also much more open in the top--picks up more of the snare, so perhaps, a blanket over it and the kick would help--but this would affect room mics picking up the attack of the kick if that was a concern.

Anyway. The iFet7 is a killer mic that I want to do more experimenting with someday, but on outside kick, it doesn't leave me wanting anything else. Nor did its little brother, the 195... just slightly less character and more open on the top.

Bock makes some amazing mics to be sure.
Old 22nd May 2013 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

The iFet is definitely a standout microphone in any price range in sound, versatility and well...it even looks right. It really would be a great "go to" mic for any studio, it seems to have more richness to the sound than even most tube mics in this range.

War
Old 3rd August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

I want one!!!

I"m a huge fan of David's work ... definitely saving up for this!
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear
Yeah, the first tracks I heard at a friend's studio knocked me out. "what are you using?!"
The answer was "Soundelux U99" over and over. That started me on the Bock path!
Michael
Old 28th January 2014
Gear Nut

Anyone ever asked about putting the iFet capsule into the 195? I love the functionality of the 195 but really want the k47 capsule sound. Would Bock do this for me??
Old 28th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by press tone View Post
Anyone ever asked about putting the iFet capsule into the 195? I love the functionality of the 195 but really want the k47 capsule sound. Would Bock do this for me??

Hi Press Tone

The sound of a mic is much more than (the sound of) the capsule. If you put a ifet capsule in the 195, it would not sound like the ifet or a 195. So to answer your question, we would not do this as we have worked super hard to get the ifet to sound like it does. These mics takes years of prelim work to get exactly right. None of the Bock mics are lucky experiments. I wish it were that easy!

Brad
Old 14th October 2014
Now that the Neumann U47fet is out with a very high price, the Bock version of this mic looks a lot more appealing.
Any users out there that can provide more info on the mic?
Old 14th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

As a user of both and pricing aside,I find the bock generally more useful .
Old 14th October 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
As a user of both and pricing aside,I find the bock generally more useful .
Does the Bock sound like a Neumann fet or does it just sound like a great sounding mic? Which mode sounds closer to the Neumann?
Old 30th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I would like to confirm .

20 seconds and wow factor , I bought it in a heartbeat during the demo days at Funky Junk Paris .

The french dealer got the brilliant idea to plug the mic into an Electrodyne 501 pre and 511 EQ .....

Then I bought the whole package (Bock I Fet , Electrodyne 501 Pre and 511 EQ ) ....
the I Fet is not a Neumann 47 Fet , it's just a fantastic Fet mic on its own ...

Body , presence , softness ,and icing on the cake it takes the EQ so well ( the Electrodyne 511 on this mic is to die for ) , very versatile , on female vocals it's a killer option , kick with the " I " switch , uprught bass , baritone sax ...Fat and accurate at same time

Curiously , there was a Bock 251 for demo as well ...I much prefer my Dave Pearlman 250 ( please note , it's just MY opinion ) yours may vary.

The Bock I Fet is an ESSENTIAL audio tool to my ears
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Does the Bock sound like a Neumann fet or does it just sound like a great sounding mic? Which mode sounds closer to the Neumann?
We put both of them side by side to compare on multiple sources, to give you an idea of the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ99VWM4tLc

War
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
We put both of them side by side to compare on multiple sources, to give you an idea of the differences.

War
IMO the Neumann FET 47 sounds better in all scenarios of this particular video. I was surprised at how much of a difference there is. The Real Neumann FET is clearer, and punchier, it's more focused compared to the Bock. The Bock sounds laid back not as prounounced. Thanks for the video.

The neumann almost sounds eq'ed compared to the Bock.

I like bock/soundelux mics but I can deny what I heard.
Old 29th March 2016 | Show parent
1) I think Neumann charges too much for brand exclusivity. It's a great mic, but a cardioid only FET mic that costs more than their multi-pattern U-87 Ai?

That just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

2) I do think that the Neumann creams the Bock on electric guitar amp, but at everything else, I think it's a toss up. The Neumann doesn't really slay Bock on anything.

What I hear:

I hear more reach into the lower octave with the Bock, and I also hear a warmer, almost more "saggy" or "compressed" sound than the Neumann, which in general sounds less compressed and more open in the top and upper mids to me.

But since we all have more than one microphone, and since a FET 47 sound wouldn't be my first reach for acoustic instruments, electric guitar cabinets, pianos, etc., I think it's safe to say that several of these comparisons, while helpful to identify the overall character and response of each mic, are simply not a real world application for me.

Mostly, FET 47's get used on vocals, kick drums, bass guitar cabinets, and large, orchestral instruments in my experience.

So even if I had the Neumann instead of the Bock, I definitely don't see this as being a loss of any kind... just a little different, really.

There's certainly no doubt that the Bock iFet or former Soundelux iFet7 is an amazing mic that does something few other mics can accomplish in the same way.

The first time I heard one outside of a kick, I new I loved it. I'll take the two thousand dollar less Bock over the Neumann any day for that application. There just isn't enough difference there, and I know it works really well from experience.

As always, I mostly just feel amazed that there are so many amazing tools out there within our reach now. Seriously, 20 years ago, how many legitimately good home studios were possible?

We are living in a dream world compared to former times, so I don't really care what anyone (including me) has to use—to some extent. =)
Old 22nd April 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post

War
Hi Warren, maybe I missed it, but which switch position did you use on the Bock iFet ? I or V

Tnx RS
Old 23rd April 2016 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Snapper View Post
Hi Warren, maybe I missed it, but which switch position did you use on the Bock iFet ? I or V

Tnx RS
Going off of memory it would have been V mode for voice, piano and acoustic guitar, and I mode for electric guitar and kick.

These mics are shipping again now by the way (there were long bouts of backorders for a while).

War
Old 23rd April 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks Warren
Bock iFet versus Wunder CM7 Fet -- which one could be the better all around for recording pop rock female/male vocals and also acoustic guitar?
📝 Reply