The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any love for Meyer Sound?
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Addict

Any love for Meyer Sound?

Don't hear much about this company around here. Have a collection of their live sound speakers and it's all very nice to me.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Addict

Live sound, I love them! Had a little experience with their studio monitors a few years back and remember liking them a lot too. Those folks at Myer really have something great there.
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

Meyer rocks!

Had them in the A Mastering room and loved em... the old HD-1.

If I am not mistaken, I think Meyer may have pioneered the active monitor. I had my tech open em up and he was very impressed with their electronics. That was Steve Firlotte and he is quite persnickety.

Also used their stage monitors once and man is that some clean clear focused sound or what.

One friend of mine says that for jazz and classical he prefers the Meyer and for rock and pop VDosc. Just an opinion from one experienced well traveled engineer friend.

- Cheers
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Addict

Meyer stuff is very good PA...most applications I would tend towards Vdosc if that were the choice...still my favourite line array.
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

HD1 thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

We have the x10's at Expression College here in the Bay Area, they are a pretty amazing pair of speakers. They are in our SSL 9k Room, and since I don't have a lot of experience mixing on large format consoles, I've never mixed anything on them. I have gone in there to listen to a lot of new CD's and check out my mixes, it's always fun!

We also have a pair of nearfields in a few rooms, I'm guessing they are the HD-1's. I'm not particularly fond of them, it's probably more me than the speakers. I'm sure they are nice, but nothing I've ever done on them has translated that well.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Addict

Cool. We a/b our's against anything that crosses our path and Meyer always rules.
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

Lotta Love for Meyer Here. Lotta Love for MD-1's in studio environments ... Love for Milo's, M2/M3D's and almost every speaker in the Meyer PA ranges.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Plenty of love, not enough budget unfortunately.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear
They seem to be making waves in the Audio Post world. People are passing on the trusty old JBLs and installing the Meyers. No bad thing!
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

I have the discontinued CP10 parametric EQ and it is fantastic...clean, flexible EQ that does its job very well without introducing artifacts or distortions.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared View Post
I feel your pain. I wouldn't have any Meyer if it wasn't for the fact my good buddy is a distributor. heh
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

HD-1's aren't for everyone.

From what I have heard others say its my guess that if you mix at over 90 dB you are less likely to love em and if you mix near 85 dB perhaps more likely to love em. Just a guess and of course YMMV.

Me, I like to monitor around 84dB.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Love the HD-1, best image ive ever heard on a speaker, however if you really want to look at something cool, check out the X10 monitors by Meyer. A guy i know who used to work at Meyer, told me this story that the X10 has somekind of military circuitry, and a microphone pointing at the cone, basically it measures what its entering the speaker, and what the microphone is percieving, and it compares it, and adjusts the cone in real time. Dont know exactly how it works, or the way it works, but i thought it was something interesting.
Old 27th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared View Post
True, true!
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Mixing a tour on Milo system.
Nothing like arena mixing a band you produced in front of 10,000 fans with Meyers.thumbsup
Hard Rock in Orlando had a nice Milo last I mixed there a few years ago.
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

I've used two different Meyer rigs, one an installed centre cluster of UPA 1-Cs + subs, and another two stacks of UPA 1-Cs and subs.

I found them kinda heavy and a bit wooly, but to be honest with you, quite pleasing with jazz. I think both setups were well past their use-by date tbh...
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Maniac

I was used to work in theaters and can say that Meyer is quite a standard for theatrical sound reinforcements in Europe. Perfect quality.
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Nut

From what I've heard Disneyland uses them on part of the path. Beautiful sound!
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

John Meyer always has had 2 basic goals
Intelligibility.
Every piece of kit works with well with every other piece

It makes for a great sounding PA, and some highly regarded monitors!

Heck look how old the UPA/UPM basic design is and they still sound good !

Last edited by ddageek; 27th April 2011 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Addict

I am under the impression that Meyer manufactures their own
speakers in Cal. (hence the expense)
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Jim Williams;6587095]We used a lot of their speakers on stage touring with Stevie Wonder back in the 1980's. Those dual 18" cabs would blow over Natt Watt's basses if I didn't secure them in the guitar stands. I also had to tape down the pedal board to the floor, those cabs would make them walk right off the stage! The UPA's made great monitors for Stevie shoved between the keyboards.

The CP-10 is a precision equalizer, I've rebuilt many of them. Top quality. Not so much love for HD-1 monitors, too much background hiss for my tastes.[/QUOTE

I Knew you were going to knock The HD1 because of the noise ! But who said Meyer knew anything about amps?
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post

I Knew you were going to knock The HD1 because of the noise ! But who said Meyer knew anything about amps?
They don't? I thought all their powered speakers had amps of their own design and manufacture.
No?
Old 28th April 2011
Umm!

Anybody know if Mr Meyer worked on any 2425 JBL 1" drivers and maybe replacement alloy diaphragms with his suspension design, I know they made 2450 modified 2" types with 1 inch entry fittings.
I have a pair of Coral M104 drivers which are fitted with JBL 2425 diamond suspension diaphragms mounted on Vitavox wooden 15 cell horns and would love to try Meyer replacement diaphragms in them if they ever existed, exist can be got.
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

HD-1 monitors have always translated very well for me in a wide variety of music styles.

They aren't for listening at very high spl as previously mentioned but high spl also reduces the time you can listen before fatigue sets in.

I'll run ~85db spl and go for hours, no sweat, everything comes back the way it was supposed to be when taken outside the room. That level is also consistent with Fletcher-Munson hearing response so you are listening in the flattest response of they human hearing range relative to spl.

That's what a monitor is supposed to do.

Their entire product is really first rate, no compromise stuff, their tech support is excellent.

Speaking of tech support, one other thing I like about the HD-1 is the flat rate service. It's not cheap but it covers -anything and everything-. The best part is when it comes back, the unit is totally recalibrated to the original specs, not just replacing a driver or a cap, seeing if it passes signal and hoping for the best. These are precision instruments.

Recalibrating during service in their own anechoic chamber means you always have consistent response day after day, year after year. If you're going to be working with top end monitors, this is exactly what you want: No variations, no wide standard deviation from the mean in response unit to unit.

Spendy? yes.
Worth every penny? yes, and then some.

Quality isn't cheap. thumbsup
Old 12th April 2012
Meyer Sound CP-10

I just bought a used CP-10 for 899,- EUR. I don't know, maybe I'm a little too excited right now, but man is that a fine eq.

The seller said it wasn't used for some years. At first I was a little disappointed by the sound. But now it is only a few hours in use again and it really opens up.

At a point I remembered going to a concert in a small to medium club and the moment you entered the room you were immediately embraced by this warm, comfortable sound. You remember that?

Currently "Hejira" from Joni Mitchell is playing through the CP-10. Very good record but soundwise not really up to date. Through the CP-10 it sounds as if it was recorded almost just yesterday. Lots of details that never were that obvious before. And the eq does not take away any of the feeling of that record, it just enhances the performance of the players.

So is it neutral? No, to me it is "there" in the same almost transparent but still noticeable way, the warm comforting sound in concert clubs was "there". And at the same time it reveals details and diminshes unwanted parts (e.g. room modes).

For tracking and mixing? Yes. Jazz? Yes. Classical? I don't know, possible, maybe. Mastering? I guess it depends on what sound one wants to achieve. Some of the old milestone records could benefit from being remastered with the CP-10, so why not new records, too?

Back to the question of this thread. I do not know anything about the Meyer Sound Company, but yeah - lots of love for this sound.

Last edited by SoundKlang; 12th April 2012 at 04:39 PM..
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Guru

I have Meyer mids in my PA, nothing quite like them.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazwood View Post
Don't hear much about this company around here. Have a collection of their live sound speakers and it's all very nice to me.
I don't see much discussion of live sound gear, particularly PA cabinets, here in a forum that focuses on recording. No surprise there.
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Head
Hi guys, we've just installed a Meyer vras system in a local theatre, amazing product, the techs that came out for 2weeks to tune the system were highly skilled top blokes( including john pellow). The artificial reverb from these systems is truly amazing! Love the Meyer!
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Big Meyer fan here...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search