The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any love for Meyer Sound?
Old 25th August 2012
Gear Maniac

I thought I'd put it here also.

I've finally purchased HD-1 and it's the best gear purchase I've ever had... The production date of mine is July 2012. Serial numbers are *64 and *65, they're a matched pair - calibrated and tested before being shipped. These monitors are in a completely different leauge with Event Opals and Adam S2A, which I had previously. Frankly I didn't expect to hear such a difference... The sound is so natural, clear, full and effortless, so "3D" I can put the music apart like a puzzle. The ATC's were very clear and natural also, but not so full sounding and powerful. For anybody considering monitors in this price range I can't imagine anything better.
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear
we actually have 3 different Meyer systems in different clubs in Mexico. IMO great support, great service and maybe i'm just used to them but it's easy to get things slamming once the MS tech has done his thing. very well designed, pretty idiot proof, have no intention of changing.

years ago i tried HD-1 monitors in a room i was not familiar with, but the high end almost tore my head off. possibly an unfair assessment but that was my exprience.
Old 26th August 2012
Gear Addict

Ahh I have much love for Meyer! Another one of those wonderful equipment companies that evolved from the Grateful Dead fueled primordial ooze in the SF Bay area. They've always seemed to me to certainly be more than a few steps ahead of the pack in the live sound world. Studio-wise I've always loved the sound of HD-1s but I've never had enough bank to make that leap.

I know that the Constellation system that Bob Weir had installed in Tri-Studios is supposed to be amazing for live events. The entire facility is like a showroom for Meyer products:
TRI Studios | The Ultimate Playpen for Musicians
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

Love my HD-1's!!
Old 27th August 2012
Gear Head

Big fan as well here. I've only used the UPJ's and UPM's with the subs for events up to 1000 people, but not in a studio environment. Top quality, great open sound and built like tanks. ++
Old 27th August 2012
QRS
Gear Maniac

i love meyersound PA systems!
quite linear sounding systems with less distortion and great dynamic. you can combine every product from them and it will work. very reliable, there is no useless product in their range, everything makes sense and is constructed for a long time. very good service, always in the market with innovative ideas and professional products build by people with long time (& scientific) experience.
i think the active speakers sound much better/different than the old non-active (for exmpl. upa1P vs 1C) regardless which amp you´re using.
the idea of making everything active is great because there are no user errors (controller/amplifier) and no matter where you are on this world: it will always sound the same...well, at least the speakers...
Old 27th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Yes ! Always a big fann of those awesome 700 HP subwoofers ! incredible headroom and power
Old 1st September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
We used a lot of their speakers on stage touring with Stevie Wonder back in the 1980's. Those dual 18" cabs would blow over Natt Watt's basses if I didn't secure them in the guitar stands. I also had to tape down the pedal board to the floor, those cabs would make them walk right off the stage!
That's pretty much exactly what you want from bassbins.

I've found their PAs sound like studio monitors except *bigger*. Much bigger. I'd happily use them as monitors.
Old 1st September 2012
From memory, there's a pair of big Meyers in Alex Wharton's mastering room at Abbey Road.
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru View Post
HD-1's aren't for everyone.

From what I have heard others say its my guess that if you mix at over 90 dB you are less likely to love em and if you mix near 85 dB perhaps more likely to love em. Just a guess and of course YMMV.

Me, I like to monitor around 84dB.
Ahh... this may explain my hatred of the HD-1's! I've never actually used them when I was mixing but I was an assistant at a big studio in Boston at the start of my career and all of the NYC and Boston guys that came in with HD-1s ran them so loud it made you sick to be in the control room (and I'm a drummer and LOVE loud music) they sounded terrible and so I've always had a bad impression of them. I do remember a lot of hiss.
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Maniac

I have a fresh pair (produced in July 2012) and my experience is quite the opposite. I can't think of many nearfields that can go louder than HD-1. They're louder than Event Opals... And they're pretty damn silent. Like I said you have to put your ear 20-30 cm from tweeter to hear any hiss. Also I don't experience any ear fatigue at loud volumes.
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Nut

I love Meyer CQ-1P speakers! (Newbie..first post)
Old 13th April 2015
Here for the gear
I've mixed on the Milo love that thing it sounds great. Our company is a Meyer company and coming in I was not a fan. I cam in a D&B fan boy but I was converted. lol. Im comfortable on MSL-4s with some 1100s for subs but I find on that system though its coming down to how well everything is. IMHO. Meyer line arrays are amazing and priced so. As far as their smaller stuff it is good but I'm not major fan boy on that.
Old 13th April 2015
Here for the gear
As far as in the studio never used meyer stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search