The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Magnetec - Pultec Equalisers (HW)
Old 25th April 2011
Gear Head

Magnetec - Pultec

Does anyone know what tis is:
Magnetec EQP-1A / Pultec style/ Tube EQ/ Vintage amp | eBay

Is it for real ?

Juan
Old 25th April 2011
Still have not used one, but I know that company, they are Moscow-based and looks like they are building pretty good pultec-clones!
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear
How much for one?
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

Looks great. I'd like to assume that it sounds good too. I have always had a soft spot for russian gear.

cheers
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Head

I took the risk, I bid and won....we'll see....
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelake View Post
I took the risk, I bid and won....we'll see....
I'd be very interested to see how things turn out. It looks to be well built.

Thx
Old 27th April 2011
Lives for gear

Never got a reply from them.
Old 27th April 2011
Never had that kind of problem!
Old 22nd May 2011
Gear Head

It was real !

Just a feedback, to tell you this Magnetec arrived yesterday and that these russian guys are really serious....

Heavy, well built, big transformers.....what's more, to my ears it sounds really great, allthough I can't compare to a real Pultec or another clone as I never had one of them....the highs are soft no matter how you push them, the trick in the low end is really great to boost bass without making it muddy...

Anyway, at less than 800$, I have the impression I made a really good deal.....
Old 23rd May 2011
For 800 bucks it is a no brainer
Do they have a website to order from?
Old 23rd May 2011
Gear Head

Yes I think so... add to that the dollar is unbelievably low against the swiss franc....and on top the customs didn't charge me anything...I guess they couldn't read the papers in cyrillic.....

They have a website, but apart from the start page it's empty:
www.magnetone-records.ru
Old 17th June 2011
Gear Head

I have just purchased one direct from them, so now begins the anxious wait to see if it arrives in one piece. Judging by their website they have an MEQ5 clone and a preamp under development too! One to watch...

Old 18th June 2011
Here for the gear

Just received reply from Mila at Magnetone. Price is now $900 plus $80 ship with $20-40 fee to US. Great deal if sounds as good as it looks, however want payment sent to Russian bank account and do not accept PayPal.

Last edited by JamesV; 19th June 2011 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: additional detail
Old 18th June 2011
Lives for gear

I'd be very interested if anyone can try it against a real Pultec.
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I'd be very interested if anyone can try it against a real Pultec.
...or against a clone or something like the Retro....still very happy with mine, but as i have little expierience i would like to know where it stands in comparison with the others..
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

I smell Fish
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Head

Well as mentioned earlier, I recently purchased mine direct. As JamesV says, payment was to their bank account (Russian paypal accounts can't receive funds). This went through smoothly and after roughly 2 weeks shipping to Australia I now have it racked up. heh

First impressions:
Weighs a ton, some vintage looking componentry and good build quality, feels like a small production run piece, not a mass-produced thing - a lot of care has gone into this. The round knobs are identical to those on MXR pedals, and the pointy ones look like they may have been taken off something else as they seem a bit older (still looks matched, just one of those nice bits of character that separate this from something made in a factory in China). Power cable supplied is an unearthed 2 round pin IEC, so rather than swapping it for a domestic one, I used theirs through an international adaptor, in case it is designed not to be earthed (no documentation provided and I'm no electronics expert). Using XLR-1/4" adaptors to interface with some unbalanced gear resulted in some LOUD hum (presumably not a ground loop?) but for some reason this was solved by inserting XLR patch leads between the Magnetec and the adaptors, rather than plugging the adaptors directly into the unit.

Once I solved that it sounded excellent! Having never used an original pultec, all I can say is it sounds good in its own right, and certainly compares favourably to my main points of reference, namely the Softube and Nomad Factory Blue Tubes pultec plugs. It sounds so nice that you want to turn it up a LOT (until you bypass it and realise you might have got a bit carried away!). It can be quite transparent, but it can also sound like EQ if you overdo it (big boost with tight Q at 2k for instance).

All in all, seems like money well spent.

Happy to provide some audio examples if anyone wants to request any specific settings. If there have been any pultec shootouts before, maybe point me to them so I can demo it on the same material.
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabjam View Post
Power cable supplied is an unearthed 2 round pin IEC, so rather than swapping it for a domestic one, I used theirs through an international adaptor, in case it is designed not to be earthed (no documentation provided and I'm no electronics expert). Using XLR-1/4" adaptors to interface with some unbalanced gear resulted in some LOUD hum (presumably not a ground loop?) but for some reason this was solved by inserting XLR patch leads between the Magnetec and the adaptors, rather than plugging the adaptors directly into the unit..
It is earthed...doesn't have the plug on the eq 3 pins ?

The eq is transformer balanced in/out you should feed it with 600 ohms and it's expecting to see 600 ohms.....like most vintage studio gear...
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Addict

It looks like its built well. However, there website says the makeup gain amplifier is taken from 1950s soviet audio gear, and the transformers are from old appliances. So it might sound good, but I’m not sure how close it is to a real Pultec, which cost a bit more to make in parts. I’m just finishing one up point to point, with the same Pultec circuit, with sowter transformers, and spent at least $1,200 on parts.
Old 13th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMegaEli View Post
It looks like its built well. However, there website says the makeup gain amplifier is taken from 1950s soviet audio gear, and the transformers are from old appliances. So it might sound good, but I’m not sure how close it is to a real Pultec, which cost a bit more to make in parts. I’m just finishing one up point to point, with the same Pultec circuit, with sowter transformers, and spent at least $1,200 on parts.

Well, I think there might be a bit of a language thing going on there.

In the ebay ad, they call the whole eq unit (the magnetec) itself an "appliance".

I don't think they are taking parts out of whirlpool dishwashers or anything. Probably more like old audio gear.

On the sounding like the a pultec....who knows.

Anybody have one yet?

Anybody that has used Pultecs a lot?

Thanks,
john
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMegaEli View Post
Indeed, I got mine for less than $800 and pictures of soviet gear some parts were taken from were included.
So it doesn't seem a faithful recreation.
To my hears it sounds really great, however I never had a Pultec to compare it with....
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
It is earthed...doesn't have the plug on the eq 3 pins ?
No, mine came with a two pin plug.

Quote:
The eq is transformer balanced in/out you should feed it with 600 ohms and it's expecting to see 600 ohms.....like most vintage studio gear...
My M-Audio 1010LT interface has unbalanced outs (52ohms), so I am running an unbalanced patchbay. Do you think that is a bad idea to hook up the EQ to that?
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabjam View Post
No, mine came with a two pin plug.

My M-Audio 1010LT interface has unbalanced outs (52ohms), so I am running an unbalanced patchbay. Do you think that is a bad idea to hook up the EQ to that?
Strange....I'm pretty sure mine is earthed, I have to check but I can't go to the studio before next week...

I think that if you feed the eq with something low impedance, it doesn't matter much....maybe you loose some level...
But I think it's much more important that the output of the eq is plug into 600 ohms to get a flat response. You also can "terminate" the output of the eq with a resistor (600 - 620 ohms) so that it's impedance can match the higher impedance of modern stuff (like 10'000 ohm).
With tube tranformer balanced gear, the rule of plugin an output in something with 5-10 times greater impedance doesn't apply...

Make a search, this has been covered a few times in the forum.
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Addict

I will be done with my point to point clone this Friday, so on Fri or Sat I can run a track through it. If anyone else with a real Pultec, pultec clone (tube tech, retro, manley, pulse techniques, DIY, etc.), or the magnetone, or even another inductor EQ, wants to make some clips of theres, that would be cool.
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Head

Ok so I did some tests with a short loop of Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place.

Attached files as follows:
1. Dry
2. Magnetone EQP-1A (hardware)
3. Softube Tube-Tech PE 1C (VST)
4. Nomad Factory Blue Tubes PEQ5B (VST)

Settings used:
First 4 bars: 10 Boost and 6 Atten @ 60Hz and 8 Boost (Broad Q) @ 10kHz
Last 4 bars: 10 Boost and 6 Atten @ 60Hz and 8 Boost (Sharp Q) @ 2kHz

Obviously static comparisons are a bit arbitrary and unmusical but I think it paints a reasonably accurate picture. And the source file is there if anyone wants to join in the shootout The Softube and Magnetone are very closely calibrated, the Blue Tubes has its own thing going on - and doesn't have a Q control.
Attached Files

Source.wav (719.4 KB, 1942 views)

Magnetone EQP-1A.wav (1.41 MB, 2126 views)

Softube Tube-Tech PE 1C.wav (1.41 MB, 1949 views)

Nomad Factory Blue Tubes PEQ5B.wav (1.41 MB, 1881 views)

Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

Wow... the build quality on these looks astonishing. Not a cheapo pultec clone!

They're using standard poly caps and metal film resistors for the EQ circuit, but what's intriguing are the transformers and soviet military tubes. Totally unique!

Most the "sound" of the pultec is attributed to the transformers (triad) and tube stage... I don't imagine these will sound exactly like the originals but it doesn't seem that Magnetec is cutting any corners.

Interesting find.
Old 15th July 2011
obviously not going to sound like a pultec but i'm sure it'll sound nice ..

Last edited by jeremyglover; 16th July 2011 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: better mood.
Old 16th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic View Post
I smell Fish
weird, tastes like chicken.
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
weird, tastes like chicken.
Like a big Soviet dish of Chicken with Ribs and Corn Grits ..
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Addict

I still have to finish going over my unit, (99% done) but I’ll try to post clips soon.
I might have to buy one of these magnetec eqs. But, only if they come with a grounded cable (I could put in my own, but c’mon!) and DOCUMENTATION. This is super important, I won’t buy any gear if there will be serviceability issues down the road, especially for something like the magnetec, which apparently uses slightly different transformers for each build?

This also goes for an original Pultec, there are basic schematics, but not much in terms of a service manual, but most importantly original Pultec’s filter is enclosed in beeswax. I wouldn’t want to deal with that unless I got a unit cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search