The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 8801 channel strip vs Neve 88rs console channel
Old 25th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Neve 8801 channel strip vs Neve 88rs console channel

Has anybody tested Neve 8801 channel strip with the 88RS console channel yet?

Neve says that having 8801 channel strip is like having 1 complete channel of 88RS. How much is this true?
Old 25th April 2011
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm curious also. I've been rather interested in buying one, but would like to hear feedback on it for informed slutz!

Kind regards,

Ward
Old 8th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Anybody?
Old 8th May 2011
Lives for gear

It's exactly the same as having an 88R channel in a 1U rack. Test one out, you will probably like it.

I do believe that the overall sound of consoles is the sum of their parts, not just the individual channels. Excuse the pun.
Old 8th May 2011
Using 2 8801 neve channel strips but never used the 88 R ...
Very pleased with all the features of the channels ...
So i know i m not answering your question but i could nt help not commenting on how good and how pleased i m using those 8801 ... very good mike preamp ; sweet eq ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 9th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
Using 2 8801 neve channel strips but never used the 88 R ...
Very pleased with all the features of the channels ...
So i know i m not answering your question but i could nt help not commenting on how good and how pleased i m using those 8801 ... very good mike preamp ; sweet eq ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Hey Mordicus can you please post some demo if you have recorded anything through 8801 or anything which can tell that neve warmth is there in the channel strips?
Old 11th May 2011
Hi SHANI ...
I M VERY BUSY AT THE MOMENT ... EITHER TOURING TILL THE END OF JUNE OR IN MY STUDIO PREPARING TITLES ... SORRY ; I WON T BE ABLE TO LOAD 8801 SAMPLES ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Vocal, Bass, Piano, Guitar all with 8801's

LINK
Old 11th May 2011
member no 666

I remember the guy from AMS telling me that the 8801 was based on the "81" series design rather than the 88R series design [which for all I know, could be similar or even identical].

I have used 81 series consoles quite extensively and found the 8801 to sound much better than when the designs were installed in the desk... much like SSL EQ and compression sounds much better in an outboard form than in the actual console.

YMMV, mine doesn't but yours might.

Peace
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

Thnx for info Fletcher (like always with you, clear, short and good to understand). Do you have any experience with the 8803 dual EQ module? I'm lookig for a stereo EQ on the masterbus for adding some extra touch.
Old 18th May 2011
SALUT LE MAUCE ...
EQ is very smoth and musical ... anyway i am on the hunt of the 5500 API for 2 bus , and i ll go on using eq s of 8801 for sub groups ... ( SAME AS 8803 !!!! )
just the way i feel as felt in love with the 5500 ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I remember the guy from AMS telling me that the 8801 was based on the "81" series design rather than the 88R series design [which for all I know, could be similar or even identical].

I have used 81 series consoles quite extensively and found the 8801 to sound much better than when the designs were installed in the desk... much like SSL EQ and compression sounds much better in an outboard form than in the actual console.

YMMV, mine doesn't but yours might.

Peace
You mean that SSL XRack Modules are better than they have on their SSL consoles?
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Head

Bump bump bump to the OQ
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

It's a good channel strip, but an 88RS it is not - I've worked on 3 of the consoles and the strip twice.
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

I own 3 - 8801 and have worked lots on a 88RS
The eq is nicer on the 8801 and much more functional - the EQ freq is wider (not the Q) on the 8801
I like the dynamics section on both but the 8801 is better IMO

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search