The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube mic noise? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Nut

Tube mic noise?

Anyone know why a tube mic, nueman m149, would sound like an air conditioner is running in the background? Any Pre. There is a low, but loud enough to be annoying, fan type sound. Bad tube? Tube going? Any suggestions.

I had this issue with a AT 4060 as well, with no resolution

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Likely a tube. Had the same problem in my U-47. Replaced the tube and the problem was solved.
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

If it happened with another mic as well, by process of elimination permit me to think out loud until a better mic psychic gets here.

1. Is it possible humidity is condensed on the diaphragms
2. Is there a power anomaly that is letting electrical garbage leak, have you tried this on some altogether different wiring grid? Bad wiring is everywhere.
3. Could be the tube, but seems a bit coincidental it happened on another mic, and at first I thought maybe mic cable but those mics have a different pinout right? So cable would be fairly ruled out.

I say power/interference, or humidity. Can't wait to find the answer too.
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

It COULD be as simple as reseating the tube after cleaning the contacts

Matti
Old 17th April 2011
Gear Nut

Thank you everyone.

The wiring and power are all top of the line. I have equtec power, the large wall mounted feeding the entire studio and the wiring is all mogami installed by vertigo so I do not think that is the issue.

What I did not mention is the time between the 2 mics has been at least 5 years. So they both didn't pop up at the same time.

From what I have read on nuemann's site it is most likely the tube.

Thanks again for all your input.

Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Neumann found that many tubes in the 149 were defective. Then they moved to using a different tube in the repair dept. to correct the problem. Talk to Neumann in your country.
Old 17th April 2011
Gear Nut

I'll def check in with Nuemann.

Old 19th April 2011
500 series nutjob

i had a very well know hi end non tube mic sound that way ( not mentioning any names ), i don't think it is necessarily a tube.
a tube would be easy enough to replace. as such that is most likely what i would do first.
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Addict

Tap on the body of the mic. If it sounds like there is sound coming directly from the tube or body of the mic, then it has gone microphonic, and the tube needs to be changed. It can still be the tube going bad if that's not the case, but that is an easy indicator that your tube has gone kaput.
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Head

Anyone know why a tube mic, nueman m149, would sound like an air conditioner is running in the background?

it doesn't like the singer, or the future singer that is about enter your world.
awareness is.. everything is aware.
Old 18th June 2017
Here for the gear

it is definetely NOT the tubes guys . come on thats the first thing all of us check , and THEn we make the post . because we cant figure it out past that. its interference from the electrical wiring ,etc.... how do we solve it?
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey_outlaw View Post
Tap on the body of the mic. If it sounds like there is sound coming directly from the tube or body of the mic, then it has gone microphonic, and the tube needs to be changed.
I'm not a technician, but I've read the opinions of several who say that a tube being microphonic doesn't necessarily affect its ability to cleanly amplify the input signal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search